Logo Theft Prevention

Mac the Knife

I'm in the process of revamping my organization's web site for 2006, and as part of the re-design will be including the great work that pcgd, jpslapshot, and Doug Fairchild (forgot his handle here) have done for us over the years.

Only after our intellectual property theft in 2005, I'd like to "double-protect" the designs: by both watermarking them and making it impossible for someone to right-click and "Save Picture As." Unfortunately, I've never done either so I haven't a clue how to do it.

Can anyone offer any help on one or both of these processes?

nav-logo.png

You can use JavaScript to disable right-clicking, but that will only work for people who have JavaScript enabled. If someone really wants the image, they can disable JavaScript, pull the image out of their cache, or browse straight to the image file (among other things). You can stop people from doing all of that if you really want to do some work, but you can't stop everything. How much do you want to put into this?

You can use JavaScript to disable right-clicking, but that will only work for people who have JavaScript enabled. If someone really wants the image, they can disable JavaScript, pull the image out of their cache, or browse straight to the image file (among other things). You can stop people from doing all of that if you really want to do some work, but you can't stop everything. How much do you want to put into this?

do you care to share that script with us?

Here's the script Yzer was talking about... Found it in a few seconds on the internet :P

<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Function Disabled!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
</script>

But as he said, there's a certain protection limit you can achieve when posting pictures on the internet, even if it is on your personal website. You can never block the "print screen" option...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Not in the body...

You have to cut and paste it in the head of the document.

<html>
<head>
<title>Title</title>

//Here

</head>
<body>...</body>
</html>

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I actually didn't even have that code, otherwise I would have supplied it. To protect some of the stuff on DetroitHockey.Net, I use a Flash/PHP combination that blocks caching, direct linking, and saving. But like pollux said, you can't stop the "print screen" button.

while we are at it, is there a way to lock flash files so that if taken from a site, they wont open without a password or just not open at all (except on the site itself)?

You can't password-protect it but if you do it right you can set it up so it can't be saved or remote-linked. IIRC ('cause I'm being a slacker and not looking up my own code right now), you can use a preloader to load a swf that isn't cached and is only accessible when requested by your server. When someone tries to save the movie, they get the preloader. When they try to browse to the file, they get blocked.

i understand the concerns, but i have pretty much given up on trying to protect images from being stolen- if someone wants it- they will get it...that doesn't mean you can't turn around and sue...just sayin'

Yeah; I think that's basically where I'm at.

I've sued once. I can do it again. :)

It seems to be a bigger PITA than its really worth doing either, at least at the moment anyway.

nav-logo.png

Archived