Yankees sign Kyle Farnsworth

yankeeman161

The news just got passed to me a while ago that the Yankees have signed Relief Pitcher Kyle Farnsworth to replace Tom Gordon, who has signed with the Phillies.

Here's the story from Yankees.com:

Yanks ink Farnsworth to three-year deal

Right-hander will serve as primary setup man for Rivera

NEW YORK -- The Yankees didn't take much time to replace Tom Gordon, signing Kyle Farnsworth to a three-year contract on Friday.

Farnsworth's deal is worth $17 million, as he takes over the role of Mariano Rivera's primary setup man. That role had been filled for the past two years by Gordon, who agreed to a three-year, $18 million deal with the Phillies on Friday to become Philadelphia's closer.

By signing Farnsworth before Dec. 7, the Yankees owe the Braves a first-round draft pick as compensation.

Farnsworth, who turns 30 in April, went 1-1 with 16 saves for the Tigers and Braves last season, posting a 2.19 ERA. The flamethrower, who has hit triple-digits on the radar gun, struck out 87 batters in 70 innings, holding opponents to a .180 average in 72 appearances.

The Yankees appeared to be set to land the right-hander on Thursday, only to have the Rangers throw their hat in the ring with a substantial offer.

This offseason has been a big one for relief pitchers, starting with closers B.J. Ryan and Billy Wagner, who signed for a combined $90 million last week.

Setup men have also cashed in, with Farnsworth the latest to ink an eight-figure deal. The Cubs signed Scott Eyre to a three-year deal worth $11 million and Bobby Howry to a three-year, $12 million contract.

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

17 million? For farnsworth?

Wow. When in the hell did he become a reliable anything? He pitched decent for Atlanta last year, but this was a guy when he was with the cubs that was the next big thing forever. He's not a guy that'll get better with a change of scenery, cause he's had 2 tries at that already.

Sorry yankees. You got hosed. I mean if you signed him for 3 years/10 mil I could understand. But almost 6 a year is rediculous.

Worst. Deal. Ever.

Farnsworth can throw fast as hell, but he's dumber than a bag of hammers, can't throw a breaking ball worth a damn, and is a prick. He'll fit right in now that he's overpaid.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Farnsworth has a poetntial to be a huge bust becuase Ive seen hom on a far not day to day and I have to question is heart. He does have a great arm but he gets hit hard allot and seems to crack under pressure. In the Bronx its 162 games of pressure and if he strugglkes he can fall apart fast.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

you guys seem to forget that farnsworth did deliver one of the most spectacular beatdowns in MLB history.

lg_fight_ap.jpgfarnsworth.jpg

Granted, that was a badass baseball fight. Didn't lower his era though.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

you guys seem to forget that farnsworth did deliver one of the most spectacular beatdowns in MLB history.

lg_fight_ap.jpgfarnsworth.jpg

AHEM

Farnsworth can take Tanyon Sturtze's place in the heavyweight bracket. Sturtze tends to swing wildly, and can't take a punch.

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Which means we all should be expecting the standard overreaction from Herr Steinbrenner any day now...I wonder which over-the-hill All-Star he'll sign next? tongue.gif (11/26/05, in the B.J. Ryan thread)

God, I love being right...those Yankees are so predictable...that 85-win season coming out the Bronx next season's gonna be sweet...

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I remember reading a few days ago that he and the Red Sox were close to a deal... glad he ended up signing with the Yankees.

Though, I guess we could've used an arm like that when we get into fights with the Yankees and D-Rays. :D

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived