No 'Milwaukee' on Brews' jerseys

DrBear

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And they're not really a Wisconsin team. A lot of people in southern Wisconsin are Cubs fans.

Uh, no. The Illinois-Wisconsin border is also the Cubs-Brewers border.

How do you figure? Most of the border cities are in Chicago's broadcast market. Many residents are from greater Chicago but moved north. It's 50/50 near the state line, maybe more in favor of the Cubs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually, there are a lot of Cubs fans in Wisconsin, in large part because:

1. They were closest before the Braves arrived in 1953, and you can pick up WGN very easily up here.

2. Fans after 1964 hated the Braves and the Cubs were making a comeback under Durocher.

3. You could cheer for both the Brewers (after 1970) and Cubs because they were in separat3e leagues and didn't have a chance in hell of meeting each other in a World Series.

4. Chicago fans always came up to Milwaukee in the Braves days; it can be easier for northern suburbanites to get to County Stadium than Wrigley.

5. A lot of Chicago folks get the fark out of Chicago and up to Wisconsin whenever they can in a desperate attempt to find clean air.

Now, try and find more than isolated pockets of Bears fans, and you have problems. (And if you're good, I'll tell you where the Bears fans in Green Bay hang out.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

1. They were closest before the Braves arrived in 1953, and you can pick up WGN very easily up here.

2. Fans after 1964 hated the Braves and the Cubs were making a comeback under Durocher.

3. You could cheer for both the Brewers (after 1970) and Cubs because they were in separat3e leagues and didn't have a chance in hell of meeting each other in a World Series.

4. Chicago fans always came up to Milwaukee in the Braves days; it can be easier for northern suburbanites to get to County Stadium than Wrigley.

5. A lot of Chicago folks get the fark out of Chicago and up to Wisconsin whenever they can in a desperate attempt to find clean air.

Now, try and find more than isolated pockets of Bears fans, and you have problems. (And if you're good, I'll tell you where the Bears fans in Green Bay hang out.)

Good responses, but if I may, I would like to retort one-by-one:

1. The average person alive today is 33 years old, born in 1972. By 1972 and anon, the Brewers had established themselves in Milwaukee, converting most fans to their side.

2. Durocher didn't take over until 1966, and didn't post a winning record with the Cubs until 1967. Those teams were always frustrating and overrated as well. Not much to like, actually.

3. Whatever.

4. Yeah, Chicago fans came to Milwaukee. If it's easier to get to Milwaukee from the northern suburbs, it might just be easier to get there from Racine, too.

5. Ha-ha-ha. Milwaukee and Chicago are both rustbelt cities, except Chicago actually produces stuff other than beer.

Seriously, I'm from Chicago and I do love "Chicago Junior." And the Brewers were once my second favorite team. Moving into the NL and becoming the Cubs' rival has hurt my affection. Still, unless it's against the Cubs, I say Go Brewers.

FIB doesn't stand for Friendly Illinois Brethren. For those who don't know it's:

F--k--g Illinois B--t---s.

(Phew. At least I didn't waste my 100th post.)

Honestly...I think the most important change the Brewers need to make...is get a Kopp's Frozen Custard stand inside Miller Park. :D Gotta have a few Sprechers, some pizza, and finish it all off with Kopp's and a Brewers win!

kopps_logo.gif

main_img_3.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Good responses, but if I may, I would like to retort one-by-one:

1. The average person alive today is 33 years old, born in 1972. By 1972 and anon, the Brewers had established themselves in Milwaukee, converting most fans to their side.

2. Durocher didn't take over until 1966, and didn't post a winning record with the Cubs until 1967. Those teams were always frustrating and overrated as well. Not much to like, actually.

3. Whatever.

4. Yeah, Chicago fans came to Milwaukee. If it's easier to get to Milwaukee from the northern suburbs, it might just be easier to get there from Racine, too.

5. Ha-ha-ha. Milwaukee and Chicago are both rustbelt cities, except Chicago actually produces stuff other than beer.

Seriously, I'm from Chicago and I do love "Chicago Junior." And the Brewers were once my second favorite team. Moving into the NL and becoming the Cubs' rival has hurt my affection. Still, unless it's against the Cubs, I say Go Brewers.

FIB doesn't stand for Friendly Illinois Brethren. For those who don't know it's:

F--k--g Illinois B--t---s.

(Phew. At least I didn't waste my 100th post.)

A few counterpoints:

Yes, the average age is 33. And the Brewers didn't really establish themseves in the area until Aaron showed up in 75 (in 72 they drew about 600,000 in a strike year). Besides, I'm starting with their dads, and baseball does get handed down from father to son.

2. Hard to like? Santo? Banks? Fergie Jenkins???

5. I'm thinking of the rest of Wisconsin in this case, to be honest. The Cubs have a big following in the rest of the state as well.

And there's one point I didn't make. It wasn't until 1981 that you could see a lot of Brewers baseball up here. Prior to that we got maybe 20 games tops. In '81 the Brewers finally started showing more of their road games on TV.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

So wait, are you denying the presence of Cubs fans in southern Wisconsin? Because they're certainly there.

I'm saying they are there, but that it is strongly Brewers territory. Quite strongly.

I disagree.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So wait, are you denying the presence of Cubs fans in southern Wisconsin? Because they're certainly there.

I'm saying they are there, but that it is strongly Brewers territory. Quite strongly.

I disagree.

Yeah, I agree with you, TCR. Then again, what do I know, I only live here.

We also know what FIB stands for - that was subtlety, which Mockba very nicely recognized.

It's where I sit.

We also know what FIB stands for - that was subtlety, which Mockba very nicely recognized.

It was quite subtle and witty. :D

You 'Sconnies are a crazy lot.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

No offense and I'm not trying to start anything(this is just my opinion), but I can't stand anyone who lives in Wisconsin and is a fan of any Chicago team*.

*I'll allow any Cubs/White Sox fans who were actually alive in the late 60s when Milwaukee had no team. I'll also allow any Illinois transplants who were lucky enough to get out of that hell.

I must say, the most suprising thing that I have noticed about this forum since I joined not that along ago, is how many topics the Wisconsin teams--especially the Brewers--seem to be the focus of.

Maybe it has just been that way recently with the Brewers getting the new Sunday home jerseys and the Bucks in desperate need of new unis, but I love it no matter what the reason!

And by the way, how great is it that you can get Sprecher Root Beer at Kopp's!

Bucky

Lakefront makes a soda now? I might have to try that, even though I think their beer is a little overrated.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

My favourite root beer, though I haven't had it in a while, is Dorothy's Isle of Pines Root Beer, by James Page Brewing. Sprecher is a close second.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived