No 'Milwaukee' on Brews' jerseys

DrBear

From writer Adam McCalvy, answering fans questions on the Brewers Web site:

I would like to know why the Brewers' road uniforms don't say Milwaukee? It would be great to see Milwaukee represented in their uniforms in large letters and not just on a sleeve patch.

-- Raul N., Torrance, Calif.

The team decided early to bill itself as a Wisconsin team, not only a Milwaukee team, as it prepared to move into Miller Park. The thinking was that the convertible dome would allow fans from around the state to make the trip while guaranteed a ballgame.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a good way to bill yourself as a Wisconsin team: rename yourselves the Wisconsin Brewers :P or do something along the lines of what the Arkansas Travelers do...their roads read "Little Rock," and IIRC their homes have a LR patch on one sleeve, despite the fact that they're the ARKANSAS Travelers. Maybe the Brew could wear roads that read Wisconsin <_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

So is Steve from Platteville gonna like the Twins or the Cubs now because the Milwaukee Brewers have "Milwaukee" on the uniform that he won't see them play in at his trip to Miller Park? I'll never get this.

And they're not really a Wisconsin team. A lot of people in southern Wisconsin are Cubs fans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Orioles were lucky to draw 1,000,000 fans a year before they removed "Baltimore" from the road jerseys in the early 70s. They draw extremely well now (at least relative to then). Ergo, we must conclude that uniforms and attendance are inextricably linked and that the Brewers are wise to follow this course of action. :upside:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

yeah that bugs me about the phillies away jerseys - they're ugly first of all, and they just say phillies instead of philadelphia - wish they would change that

Not to defend the Phillies, who are in every way evil, but I would give a pass to teams using their nicknames on the road when their nicknames are just a short form of their city's name. So "Phillies" is just fine on the road, since the name tells you where the team is from.

But Milwaukee should have "Milwaukee" on their shirts. In my book, teams owe it to the cities that build them their ballparks to provide a little civic pride by way of ballcaps with the city initials (not team nickname initials; this means you, Colorado) and uniforms with the city name.

20082614447.png

But Milwaukee should have "Milwaukee" on their shirts. In my book, teams owe it to the cities that build them their ballparks to provide a little civic pride by way of ballcaps with the city initials and uniforms with the city name.

Just to pick nits with this argument (although I agree that city name is the preferred option with road jerseys), but it's a five county area that encompasses more than just Milwaukee (city and county) that's paying the sales tax to fund Miller Park. I don't think you want the roadies to say "Milwaukee-Ozaukee-Racine-Kenosha-Waukesha", even though that's where the logic would take you.

It's where I sit.

Well, not to belabor the point, but that's all Milwaukee metro area.

Regardless, the Packers don't have a problem drawing fans from the entire state. I would like to see any research that shows Madison fans' indifference is caused by "Milwaukee" on the roads.

As much as I hate roofs, I accept the team's argument that fans from around the state are more likely to drive down for a game knowing that it won't be rained out. This, however, is just silly.

And they're not really a Wisconsin team. A lot of people in southern Wisconsin are Cubs fans.

Uh, no. The Illinois-Wisconsin border is also the Cubs-Brewers border. Same goes for Bears-Packers, even though southern Wisconsin is closer to Chicago than Green Bay.

Being a Packers fan seems to prohbit one from being a fan of any Chicago team. I don't think one can be a Packers and a Cubs fan. Just doesn't go together.

Uh, no. The Illinois-Wisconsin border is also the Cubs-Brewers border. Same goes for Bears-Packers, even though southern Wisconsin is closer to Chicago than Green Bay.

Being a Packers fan seems to prohbit one from being a fan of any Chicago team. I don't think one can be a Packers and a Cubs fan. Just doesn't go together.

Wrong.

I'm a season ticket holder at Lambeau (the basis of my name), and a lifelong Cubs fan. Born and raised in Green Bay, but some Cubs games were telecast by a local station in GB in the late 60s and early 70s.

And it's not just our Friendly Illinois Brethern who infiltrate Miller Park when the Cubs come to town. There are a LOT of locals who are also Cub fans.

It's where I sit.

I don't think you want the roadies to say "Milwaukee-Ozaukee-Racine-Kenosha-Waukesha", even though that's where the logic would take you.

that gives me an idea...Geoff Jenkins can wear a Milwaukee jersey, Rickie Weeks can wear a Racine jersey, then give Prince Fielder a Kenosha jersey, Carlos Lee can have an Ozaukee jersey and then let Ben Sheets wear a Waukesha jersey...and for the hell of effect, the Waukesha jerseys would be black to honor Waukesha South :hockeysmiley:

Hell, give Dan Kolb a Somers jersey and Turnbow can get an Muskego jersey :P and then we can have an Oconomowoc jersey for Robin, Mike Maddux can put on a Burlington jersey and Yost can grab a Mequon jersey

eh...I've said too much :ninja:

Speaking as an actual Wisconsinite (and Cubs fan), the Brewers-Cubs border isn't taht so much as it is a zone between Milwaukee and wehre they put that "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign. the Bears-Packers border zone's somewhat shorter, from the border to Racine. Heck, we used to have a Bears-themed bar a few blocks from our zoo B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

that gives me an idea...Geoff Jenkins can wear a Milwaukee jersey, Rickie Weeks can wear a Racine jersey, then give Prince Fielder a Kenosha jersey, Carlos Lee can have an Ozaukee jersey and then let Ben Sheets wear a Waukesha jersey...and for the hell of effect, the Waukesha jerseys would be black to honor Waukesha South

Hell, give Dan Kolb a Somers jersey and Turnbow can get an Muskego jersey and then we can have an Oconomowoc jersey for Robin, Mike Maddux can put on a Burlington jersey and Yost can grab a Mequon jersey

eh...I've said too much

Simpler: Put MORKW on the front. And that would be a perfect excuse to invite Robin Williams to the games.

Packers-2.png

Archived