why didn't the titans think of this?!

jgiff17

Not a bad idea, But i know in 99 Adams wanted to pretty much start a new when the team opened in the Coliseum , thats why the Changed the Name , Uni's & added the Navy to the uniform & the Red & silver became backups

not true.. bud never wanted to change team names.

he wants to be the tennessee oilers today. but he had season ticket holders demanding a new name, so he relented.

he's basically the only reason they still use columbia blue and red, instead of just going completely navy.

bud, personally, never wanted to change team names.

If you have to change the team name, then why not remove all ties to the old name? Just start fresh with a new name in a new city. Fans in Tennessee probably wouldn't want the team to have anything about their Titans referencing the old Houston Oilers, so I think anything having to do with oil had to go. They probably drilled for oil in the Nashville area in the past, but oil isn't the main thing Nashville or Tennessee is known for.

If they had stuck with the oilers moniker but changed their color scheme and logos, I agree that T with an oil drop would have been cool. But, oil has nothing to do with titans. I was living in Nashvlle when they made the change over and no one there liked the idea of keeping oilers for a name. Changing the name sort of removed the stigma of stealing a team from another city and gave them a new start in the town and the state. Although if they had made the super bowl in 99 as the Oilers, I'm sure the name would have remained the same. . . Plus, oilers made no sense in Nashville. It still grates on me that Utah has a team called the Jazz.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived