Calgary black numbers/crest

moose97

I finaly saw the new Calgary jerseys on Sportscenter, and I can't believe how hard it is to read the numbers on TV.  Didn't the flames conduct ANY TV tests to find out what they would look like?  Hard to believe they would waste so much money on something that dosn' allow you to identify players quickly.

Anyone else agree?

Moose

Personally, I love my new Flames Pro Home jersey but I have to say that the black crest and numbers tend to have poor visual definition.  The names are even worse as they blur right out when viewed from the stands.

I predict that the Flames will have this jersey for 3 years maximum (including an impending lockout) and that afterwards they will switch back to light coloured numbers, letters and crest on a red jersey.  The jersey striping pattern was introduced with the black alternate jersey in 1998 and it's not exactly a "timeless" design so they will be due for a change in 2006.

It's actually a very nice striping pattern.  The only problem with these jersey is the choice of letter/number/crest colour.  Otherwise, it's a great pattern.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's actually a very nice striping pattern. The only problem with these jersey is the choice of letter/number/crest colour. Otherwise, it's a great pattern.

It is a great striping pattern.  I really like it a lot.  Unfortunately, I can see them changing it for the sake of change (fresh look, new merchandise, more money, etc.) before too long.  The previous striping pattern was only used from 1995 to 2000 before being dropped.

The previous striping pattern was only used from 1995 to 2000 before being dropped.

The difference being that the old pattern was dumb. "Here's a random diagonal stripe that stops abruptly for ya!" ???

The black flaming "C" is just not right. "Flames" are a hot item, and should there for be a "hot" color. Red makes sense and so does yellow or even white, as in "white hot". But black is the color of something cold and dead.

Not only that, I agree with the popular consensus that the black on red isn't very contrasting and is not very easy to read, especially on the tube.

My overall reaction, perhaps because I'm a photorapher, is that the Flames new jerseys look like a negative! The flames are black where they should be white and just strikes me as being "off" or "odd", and this is from someone who LOVES black, red and white together. The proportions are off in this case. Take a look at the Devils to see it done in the right amounts.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I love the Flames new jersey. I don't have a problem reading the black numbers on TV or even at their home opener. You guys need to check your eyes and stop going on the computer.

I have Flames season tickets so I HAVE seen them live and on television through clips.

I'm not sure why, but it seems to work ok for the Bulls and not the Flames. Maybe it's the slightly different reds they use. (Pantone would be the expert, but they look different to me.) Maybe it's the yellow added in. But it just doesn't look right on the Flames' jerseys.

Of course, the Bulls also have white names on the back, that helps a bit.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The black flaming "C" is just not right. "Flames" are a hot item, and should there for be a "hot" color. Red makes sense and so does yellow or even white, as in "white hot". But black is the color of something cold and dead.

i think the black works perfectly, like the C and the numbers have been branded onto the jersey

white would be too boring

yellow would be interesting

but this black looks great

signature.gif

I'm not sure why, but it seems to work ok for the Bulls and not the Flames.  Maybe it's the slightly different reds they use.  (Pantone would be the expert, but they look different to me.)  Maybe it's the yellow added in.  But it just doesn't look right on the Flames' jerseys.

Of course, the Bulls also have white names on the back, that helps a bit.

Had to correct you on that part about bull names being white.  They were white up until the time before Jordan first retired from the Bulls.  Then the first season he played baseball, names went from being white to black trimmed in white.

My years might be slightly off, but you get what I'm saying ...

was...

1jordan_collins86.jpg

is ...

98final1.jpg

Sorry to have co-opted an innocent Calgary Flames thread with my babble ...

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

• LMU locked this topic

Archived