USA Today....Helmet Poll

MDesign

Nice publicity, PANTONE. Nice picks, too, although I'm partial to the classic Cowboys star. You make good cases for each pick, though, bad and good.

So, did this run in the print version as well? I made sure to click on your link, in case USA Today is tracking that sort of thing. Nice job of getting the SSUR name out there.

Who's this Donovan Moore clown, and what's the SSUR????

B)

I heard he was some awesome trombone player.

I was going to make an indignant post about someone stealing your graphics.

Then I saw that it was YOU who stole your graphics. Damn, I hate when that happens. Props on the publicity!

It's where I sit.

Nice publicity, PANTONE. Nice picks, too, although I'm partial to the classic Cowboys star. You make good cases for each pick, though, bad and good.

So, did this run in the print version as well? I made sure to click on your link, in case USA Today is tracking that sort of thing. Nice job of getting the SSUR name out there.

It's supposed to be in print in the USA Today Sports Weekly mag. I'm not even sure when that comes out...not sure I've ever even bought it before.

I'm expecting to get ripped for my picks...anytime you give an opinion, someone else has a contrary one. No problem...wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me. I just made my judgements based purely on design, not so much with tradition.

I DID run my list by Cowboy Kevin beforehand though...he and I talk on the phone a couple of times a week...he seemed to support my choices for the most part.

Graphics - I didn't supply any stinkin' graphics...that guy must have had his own...

:P

Just on the early numbers it looks like some of the "traditional" looks are not popular with people (Cleveland, NY Jets, NY Giants) while others are (Packers, Steelers). I wonder how much this really has to do with WINNING tradition and how much with just old=boring in many minds.

I have no problem with Chicago, Green Bay, even Cleveland, but I agree that the NY Jets logo is about the lamest thing out there. Waste of a nickname. Might as well be the New York Team or the New York Ers because you can spell that on top of NY on top of a circle just as easily as you can spell Jets.

Heck, I would even go with them writing out the J! E! T! S! on the helmet.

For my part I voted for: Chargers, Bengals, Eagles, Buccaneers as best.

Clearly I like wrap-around, or full helmet logos (SD, CIN, PHI) and I appreciate

that Tampa took a risk on new colors, and a darker image.

I voted against: Jets, Titans, Cardinals, Falcons as worst.

Hate the Jets, see above. Titan's flaming thumbtack is lame,

Voted against Cardinals due to my hatred of grey facemasks.

Falcons logo: didn't like old one, don't like new one.

I went with the Broncos, Jaguars, Seahawks and Buccaneers as best; Raiders, Titans, Redskins and Lions as worst.

My overall, personal Top Ten:

1T - Seattle Seahawks

1T - Jacksonville Jaguars

3 - Cincinnati Bengals

4 - Philadelphia Eagles

5 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

6 - Atlanta Falcons

7 - St. Louis Rams

8 - Denver Broncos

9 - Minnesota Vikings

10 - San Diego Chargers

I also heard something about Donovan going to a party....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060223

Party Update

Plans continue apace for the Uni Watch Athletics Aesthetics Party, slated for March 12 at 3 p.m., at Southpaw in Brooklyn. Donovan Moore (president of the Society for Sports Uniform Research) and Scott Turner (former design director for Stall & Dean) are the latest luminaries who've agreed to participate in our Q&A panel, which will also feature NBA apparel director Christopher Arena, uni designers Todd Radom and Tom O'Grady, and your friendly neighborhood Uni Watch. Should be quite the raucous caucus.

I saw, I came, I left.

Congrats on the pub Pantone. You deserve all of it. You are respectful, intelligent and your knowledge in this area is unprecedented.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I know I'm a homer, but I really think the Rams have the best helmet in the NFL.

I'll start by saying the top 4 are St. Louis, Cincy, Minny, and Philly. I think the best helmet logos aren't your standard logo, but something different. The first three I mentioned actually are based off of the head of the animal/human they represent while Philly's is sorta like that, but not actually based off the head...just unique anyways.

The thing though that makes the Rams best is that there isn't really much bad to be said about it. The Vikings horn has never totally convinced me to be a good depiction of a horn (I'm not talking about it being detailed...but whats that yellow thing and what not?), and your gonna get some complaints about the helmet being purple. For the Bengals, (though I don't agree) I can see how some might be call the design too busy.

But for the Rams, it's a simple design, it's a very pleasing color pallete, it's the most traditional helmet in the league (as it was the first to sport a logo...I know the colors have changed, but that's the great thing about keeping tradition while staying modern), and it represents the mascot beautfully as I said before.

I think it's a complete joke that of the 8 NFC East/West teams it's up against in the USAToday poll, it only ranks 5th, and furthering the joke is that the Cowboys are first and have a solid lead.

The Cowboys?!?! Throw all the tradition and crap you want at me, but it's a star with two outlines. I know it's universally recognized...but does it really represent the team well at all? No...it doesn't. I mean, it's grown to...and it's not an awful helmet by any means...but c'mon...

Party Update

Plans continue apace for the Uni Watch Athletics Aesthetics Party, slated for March 12 at 3 p.m., at Southpaw in Brooklyn. Donovan Moore (president of the Society for Sports Uniform Research) and Scott Turner (former design director for Stall & Dean) are the latest luminaries who've agreed to participate in our Q&A panel, which will also feature NBA apparel director Christopher Arena, uni designers Todd Radom and Tom O'Grady, and your friendly neighborhood Uni Watch. Should be quite the raucous caucus.

Tom O'Grady? I wonder if all his answers will be "Kiss the Ring".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I know I'm a homer, but I really think the Rams have the best helmet in the NFL.

I'll start by saying the top 4 are St. Louis, Cincy, Minny, and Philly. I think the best helmet logos aren't your standard logo, but something different. The first three I mentioned actually are based off of the head of the animal/human they represent while Philly's is sorta like that, but not actually based off the head...just unique anyways.

The thing though that makes the Rams best is that there isn't really much bad to be said about it. The Vikings horn has never totally convinced me to be a good depiction of a horn (I'm not talking about it being detailed...but whats that yellow thing and what not?), and your gonna get some complaints about the helmet being purple. For the Bengals, (though I don't agree) I can see how some might be call the design too busy.

But for the Rams, it's a simple design, it's a very pleasing color pallete, it's the most traditional helmet in the league (as it was the first to sport a logo...I know the colors have changed, but that's the great thing about keeping tradition while staying modern), and it represents the mascot beautfully as I said before.

I think it's a complete joke that of the 8 NFC East/West teams it's up against in the USAToday poll, it only ranks 5th, and furthering the joke is that the Cowboys are first and have a solid lead.

The Cowboys?!?! Throw all the tradition and crap you want at me, but it's a star with two outlines. I know it's universally recognized...but does it really represent the team well at all? No...it doesn't. I mean, it's grown to...and it's not an awful helmet by any means...but c'mon...

Agreed with most of what you've said.

The yellow thing on the Viking helmet is the "bracket" that attaches the horn to the helmet. If you look at their secondary logo (the Viking head), I think this is more apparent.

It's where I sit.

Archived