Excellent site for older style New Era Caps

griffelh

You may have just given me a new idea  B) I've never thought about ripping out the mesh - did you use knife/scissors, and was it hard to do?

Not as hard as you think.

Instead of a knife and/or scissors, I've had great success with small tweezers.

The mesh is interwoven layers of black vertical wire threads which give the cap its shape, and white horizontal cloth threads that keep them in place.

Start by spreading the white threads to expose the black ones. Get the point of a tweezers around the black threads and start pulling (you can use your teeth and pull them out once the tweezers get the thread loose). Don't forget to go after the little black threads that are underneath the black seams running between cap panels (they run all the way behind the sweatband, it's a pain in the ass).

You can leave the white threads in or rip them out by hand. I've done most of my caps this way and they look much better.

Thank you, good sir! B) I'll have to give it a try.

I usually wait to do that after I had worn the hat for a little while. I like to do this so that it would be easier to remove the threads from the buckram since they have been broken in and the glue has been loosened.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking about ordering that Pirates cap with the red accents, but I'm not sure. I've never had a 59/50 hat, and I know they're really tall...I usually wear Franchises, and I don't want to buy a hat that I won't end up wearing.

I'm with you on this, I usually prefer the low-profile hats (nike makes good low profile nhl ones) but I bought a 59/50 graphite Jays hat last spring, I ripped out the mesh, and I love it. I later bought the retro style jays one and kept the mesh in and I still love it, even though it feels a tad tight... I still prefer the low profiles, but I like the new eras now, just took me awhile to adjust to them.

instead of ripping out the mesh, which is a long tedious process. just take a spray bottle with water in it, and spray the white part of the inside of the hat. then put it on and press down on the front. this way the wool forms to you head. its ten times easier than doing it the other way.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

BgMack, those are New Era quality control issues. They vary from batch to batch. I have my share with stiff visors as well and NE not uncommonly messes up the colors around the eyelts.  Also, remember Cincy wore these caps for several years, it is possible that one season they had red eyelts.  No one will or can "fake" a New Era cap, and to accuse someone of that when NE has known issues is not very nice.

i have seen a couple fake NE's in my time.

As I know, there are sizing issues with New Era, but all 4 caps fit and are as advertized. I have no problem recommending him. I ordered Thursday night, he shipped Saturday and I received them today

the sizing problems come from the fact that NewEra hats are hand made and made on blocks of wood. so two blocks maybe not be cut the same or the person that put it together was a bit more liberal or conservative with the material.

Anyone else planning on purchasing caps? I just want updates to see if maybe just the Reds one was messed up and that's it. If that's the case I'll dive in and buy like 10 hats hehe.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I think the first batch of the pinstriped Reds caps New Era put out had red eyelets and they corrected it for the remainder of the run. I also seem to remember some of the earlier versions being made out of nylon with the later versions being made of wool.

I think the first batch of the pinstriped Reds caps New Era put out had red eyelets and they corrected it for the remainder of the run. I also seem to remember some of the earlier versions being made out of nylon with the later versions being made of wool.

Right but how can you explain the visor part being so stiff that it won't hold a curve at all? Plus, I thought they were supposed to be white and not off/white.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I think the first batch of the pinstriped Reds caps New Era put out had red eyelets and they corrected it for the remainder of the run.  I also seem to remember some of the earlier versions being made out of nylon with the later versions being made of wool.

Right but how can you explain the visor part being so stiff that it won't hold a curve at all? Plus, I thought they were supposed to be white and not off/white.

well they have used different types of visors before. some of them have been a hard plastic and others have been a cardboard visor. the plastic ones are hard to bend. i had a browns hat when Reebok first took over, that bill on that hat was next to impossible to curve until about a year ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I take back what I said about lilmoxie. For some reason it appears the Reds hats from that season are just crap and that's not his fault. I bought three hats from him and they came in absolutely perfect! (mid 90's Astros w/ gold visor, mid 90's Orioles grey road cap, early 90's Angels CA cap with red visor) They're so cheap I'm thinking of maybe buying a whole batch for my softball team.

I would like to get a 1990 Mariners, 1993 solid blue Blue Jays, and some other caps. He doesn't have them in my size (7) right now though. Do you guys think I should get the old Detroit Tiger jumping through the D logo cap? I already have the classic navy and white home hat so maybe no reason to get the other one. Whatcha think?

spacer.png

In my collection I have the pinstripe reds 5950. It is off-white with red eyelets. Also, I did purchase a '90 Mariners from this guy. Shipped so quickly it was amazing and 100% for real. Good Find!

Does your reds cap have a stiff visor that is hard to curve? No I did not get any misshapen hats. It's entirely possible that the hat could "dent" a little on the sides from being stuffed in the packaging. I've seen that happen. Usually once you wear it a few times that'll go away. If you're having a hard time with it, fold the back of the hat in when you store it, and put some tissue paper inside to create more pressure to push the hat out.

spacer.png

Okay so, unforutnately he doesn't have every cap I want in size 7, but maybe he'll get them in later. That being said...I want everyone's opinions. Which of these hats should I get? Only one, a few of them, or all of them? Which ones do you guys like?

1Hat1.jpg

1Hat2.jpg

1Hat3.jpg

1Hat4.jpg

1Hat6.jpg

spacer.png

I wanted to add this one too but it seems we are only allowed to post 5 images now instead of six.

1Hat7.jpg

spacer.png

I ordered that Tigers and Blue Jays from him and they are great. That is my favorite Tigers cap and it goes perfect with my Mitchell and Ness 1994 Trammell jersey. One note is that both of those caps run a size big; at least the ones I got did. I usually wear a 7 3/8 but the Tigers 7 3/8 fits like a 7 1/2 and I got the Jays one in 7 1/4 since that was all he had and it fits perfect.

I also like the Pirates cap, but I didn't order it.

Archived