Phillies v. Yankees Spring Training game uni notes

Korkie

Nah. Go '48 style. All the way.

Preach on, Brother Yunk. Preach on.

The '48 uniform is still my favorite Phillies uniform/hat combo.

nl_1948_philadelphia.gif

Agreed.

They wore gray at home AND on the road? Was it two separate shades of gray? (said sarcastically ... I am sure there are just scanning issues with the image from the Okonnen book)

I wouldn't want the Phillies to re-adpot this look as a full-time look, simply because it has too much blue for a team that seems to want to emphasize its red-ness. Not unless they want to be a third team to be red at home and blue on the road (like the Cardinals and Nationals) would they adopt the road set as their full-time roads.

Red with just a hint of blue works for me. Unfortunately, it's also what makes the current road BP shirts stick out as being so un-Phillie-like.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

What's really odd is how they had one home/road set w/ blue belt loops, and one with white or grey loops. Not sure what the point of the blue ones was.

Either way, I'd love a modernized version of these as a Sunday alt (if not full time.) Only if it is the 48 set, and not the earlier navy versions. I also love the olde English P set (except for the white hat) and I think a modern version of those would be sweet, but I think the Tigers have the market cornered as far as olde English lettering goes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wouldn't want the Phillies to re-adpot this look as a full-time look, simply because it has too much blue for a team that seems to want to emphasize its red-ness. Not unless they want to be a third team to be red at home and blue on the road (like the Cardinals and Nationals) would they adopt the road set as their full-time roads.

Red with just a hint of blue works for me. Unfortunately, it's also what makes the current road BP shirts stick out as being so un-Phillie-like.

The biggest difference between what you have the Phillies doing and what the Cards/Nats do is that both of those teams wear navy that'd be noticeably darker than the royal blue the Phils would be sporting. No teams go between red and royal IIRC (Cubs, Rangers and the Dodgers (I guess) are the only other teams that even use those colors exclusively). I'd rather they picked one color and used it, but if they kept the present uniforms (preferably without pinstripes, since red pinstripes look pink) but added the royal '48 caps, I'd be all about that.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

since red pinstripes look pink

They look pink because of the style of pinstripe they are. If they went to the zig-zag style (think Yankees) they would probably look more like true red, because it comes across as thicker / bolder. Pinstripe teams should all use the raglan style template (Yankees again, and 80s Phils) w/ zig-zag stripes because the stripes look better on the shoulders, and are closer together, and bolder.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What's really odd is how they had one home/road set w/ blue belt loops, and one with white or grey loops. Not sure what the point of the blue ones was.

I'm guessing that it was something that they wore for a while in the season, and then dropped. Either because they couldn't get them easily, or they decided that they didn't see the point in blue belt loops, either.

I'd tend to doubt that those were really alts in the way we think of them, that the Phils would wear from time to time.

Somebody please inform the Phillies that blue tops do not go with red pinstriped pants.

capt.flkw11303122222.reds_phillies_baseball_flkw113.jpg

capt.flkw10303122115.reds_phillies_baseball_flkw103.jpg

If they really needed to provide contrast against the red Cinicnnati jerseys, they should have just worn their regular home pinstriped tops.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Actually, I don't think that's horrible. I like the blue better with the home pants. Now just get royal blue caps with red bills.

I also like having ST jerseys instead of wearing the real ones. Make the rookies 'earn' the privilege of wearing the regular uniform. However, Fregosi had them wear the real uni. in ST back in '93 (and I think 94, but I'm not sure) and that year turned out pretty good (F Joe Carter.)

Personally, I'm tired of looking at the Phillies current uni set. I'm tired of the pinstripes (I've dealt with the pinstripes my entire life), and I abhor the color red.

But I think if the Phils would just drop the pinstriping their overall set would look so much better.

I'd like to see the Phillies do something completely different, totally rebrand the team. What the hell, go blue/gold or black/orange.

But no, this is the team that told Jim Leyland, "No thanks, we're good, we've got Charlie Manuel."

Idiots run this team. Blithering, biscuit-headed idiots.

Personally, I'm tired of looking at the Phillies current uni set. I'm tired of the pinstripes (I've dealt with the pinstripes my entire life), and I abhor the color red.

But I think if the Phils would just drop the pinstriping their overall set would look so much better.

I'd like to see the Phillies do something completely different, totally rebrand the team. What the hell, go blue/gold or black/orange.

But no, this is the team that told Jim Leyland, "No thanks, we're good, we've got Charlie Manuel."

Back in winter of '03 (prior to first season in CBP), douche bag Ed Wade was asked (by Mike Missaneli IIRC) if they should take the first season in the new park to flush away a century of futility and get a new logo, uniforms, totally different from anything they've ever had. Blue and silver maybe.

Wade disagreed. Did I mention he was a total douche bag? Well he was. And still is. A douche bag.

Somebody please inform the Phillies that blue tops do not go with red pinstriped pants.

capt.flkw11303122222.reds_phillies_baseball_flkw113.jpg

capt.flkw10303122115.reds_phillies_baseball_flkw103.jpg

If they really needed to provide contrast against the red Cinicnnati jerseys, they should have just worn their regular home pinstriped tops.

Acctually, since that game was held in Clearwater (the Phils home), as the road team Cincy should have worn their black road BP and the Phils should have worn their red home BP. Betcha it was a mishap by the Reds and the Phils workied with what they had and wore blue

i really agree with rebranding - maybe not a whole different color set because the phils look pretty good in red, but i was a bigger fan of the maroon - i hope a new logo comes sometime in the near future, but we'll see

worldchampsll1.png

Personally, I'm tired of looking at the Phillies current uni set.  I'm tired of the pinstripes (I've dealt with the pinstripes my entire life), and I abhor the color red.

I'd like to see the Phillies do something completely different, totally rebrand the team.  What the hell, go blue/gold or black/orange.

Idiots run this team.  Blithering, biscuit-headed idiots.

i really agree with rebranding - maybe not a whole different color set because the phils look pretty good in red, but i was a bigger fan of the maroon - i hope a new logo comes sometime in the near future, but we'll see

Well they had the swirl P for 22 or 23 years, and the current set for 14. I don't see a change anytime soon, especially considering how expensive it would be for them to completely change the scoreboard and outside signage at the new park. I hate that they basically committed themselves to the current look by building it into the park.

I don't see a change anytime soon, especially considering how expensive it would be for them to completely change the scoreboard and outside signage at the new park. I hate that they basically committed themselves to the current look by building it into the park.

Eh, I don't know that cost would be all that prohibitive if they completely remodeled their look. After all, Citizens Bank Park changed its wordmark and logo after the 1st season (when they were bought out by Royal Bank of Scotland), which required new signage outside the stadium, under the bell, and all new printed materials (brochures, signs, ads, and whatnot).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I don't see a change anytime soon, especially considering how expensive it would be for them to completely change the scoreboard and outside signage at the new park. I hate that they basically committed themselves to the current look by building it into the park.

Eh, I don't know that cost would be all that prohibitive if they completely remodeled their look. After all, Citizens Bank Park changed its wordmark and logo after the 1st season (when they were bought out by Royal Bank of Scotland), which required new signage outside the stadium, under the bell, and all new printed materials (brochures, signs, ads, and whatnot).

yep beat me to it - i also don't think it would be that big of a deal - and maybe its just wishful thinking by me, but i really hope the phils at least update the current logo, it needs it

worldchampsll1.png

When I first saw Miller Park, I was amazed at how generic it was. Unlike a lot of parks, the logo isn't incorporated into any of the metal work, it's just signage.

The color scheme doesn't have much to do with the club, either. It's not like football stadiums, where the seats all match team colors. The dominant colors at Miller Park are dark green, orange, navy, amber and sage.

Then again, did they change the seats at Camden Yards when the Birds updated the Oriole a while back? They had the old bird logo forged into metalwork on the end seats.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I didn't see the need to start a new one about the Phillies. I was always in the camp that the Phillies unis, especially the road, were boring and need more blue, however, I have gained a new appreciation for them this season. I don't know if they made any change, but the roads seem a bit lighter to me and they look great. The homes look good as well, but I am starting to grow a bit tired of the pinstripes. But overall, I agree with those who say the Phils unis are among the most solid in the game.

HOPqAjox.jpg

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived