MetroStars become Red Bull New York...

Brian in Boston

The Austrian beverage manufacturer Red Bull has purchased the Major League Soccer franchise formerly known as the MetroStars. The process of re-branding the franchise as Red Bull New York begins immediately, with the first step being the launch of the team's official website.

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/rbn/

The franchise has also unveiled a new logo:

redbull2.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Even though the name is officially Red Bull New York, they use the nickname "Red Bulls" throughout the site, including in the banner (and even to headline stories that still refer to the MetroStars).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not too shabby...

I like the new crest.

Seeing they mentioned on the site that they'd be working closely with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian League, I wonder if the RBNY crest is actually an adaptation of what RBS wears.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

How does the MLS expect to be taken seriously in America when you have teams named Red Bull?

Like "Wiz", "Burn", and "Clash" were any better?

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Seeing they mentioned on the site that they'd be working closely with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian League, I wonder if the RBNY crest is actually an adaptation of what RBS wears.

Red Bull New York

redbull2.gif

Red Bull Salzburg

brand.gif

That is a complete ripoff. Someone should let the designers of the Red Bull Salzburg logo know about this. :upside:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Not too shabby...

I like the new crest.

Given the timing of the announcement so close to the start of the season, my best guess is that they'll grab some blank Red Bull Salzburg kits and apply the new badges and use the standard MLS font and number package...

0,1020,510413,00.jpg

The Revolution were late in the game last year as well, switching from Reebok to Adidas at the last minute and thus were forced to go with an off the rack template kit for the 2005 season.

patriotssignature.png

Wow...that happened very fast. I like the name and the logo, and I'm normally against too much corporate involvement. However, soccer kits seem to be as happily plastered with advertisements as NASCAR, so I won't judge.

I was never a fan of "MetroStars," so I'm glad to see that go. I think "Red Bull New York" sounds strong and flows well. The colors are great too.

All things considered, however, I'm not really all that affected by this move for an MLS team. In fact, I was all for the Memphis Express a few years ago, before the NBA derailed that plan. But I'm pretty sure I would have serious issues if a modern day company bought out an MLB, NFL, or NHL team -- and yes, I'm aware of the Mighty Ducks, but they're changing.

On a side note, whatever happened to the Bank One Bears?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I miss my Miami Fusion :down:

lg_heaps_all_01.jpglg_mastroeni_ap-01.jpg

miamih01.gif855.jpg

cat297.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's just a matter of time before Budweiser Los Angeles...

That would be almost as bad as this. :upside:

top_kic.jpg

If that does happen someday (and I'm not predicting it will, but I have been known to be wrong), the sky will not fall. The world has continued rotating on its axis despite Bayer Leverkusen's presence for over 100 years.

Archived