Detroit Lions - New Logo

marqdesign

This is my concept of what the Lions should look like. Ive always thought they should change the 'Bubbles' they have and put a little Bite in thier team (they could use it) I sent this logo, along with a cover letter explaining myself, to the 12 top officials of the Detroit LIons Organization. I did it a couple years ago, and I got a response, hopefully Ill get the one I want this time. And by the way, when I sent in the last one, I had drawn (manual) a Jersey concept with Black outline, the following year they put it on thier Jerseys. Coincidence..... I dont think so. But check it out if you want to, I like it and hopefully they do to.

http://marqdesign.tripod.com/newdetroitlionslogo/

I still dont know how to post the pic on this post, so this is the only way I can show the pic. if anyone can explain how I can do this, please let me know....thanks in advance.

please take this the right way - i'm not trying to be critical because i really like this logo and know how much time you've put into it - it's great - the lines are bold and clear, it's incredibly creative, but this is a good logo for an x-box or playstation game or a fantasy team, not an nfl team - among other things, it's too abstract and there are too many gradients

and to post a pic, host it to imageshack or a similar site (i don't think tripod allows remote linking, but i could be wrong), then copy the url - open a reply or topic - hit the img button above where you type - paste the url in the area - click ok

jldesigns404eo.png

I really like the idea, it's definately a lot more modern and edgy, but I have to agree with leggman, the gradients are a little much, and it doesn't look like a professional sports logo. I could definately see this as an AFL team logo though!

P.S. I like the uniforms as well

A. It may have a little too much bite, which makes it look hokey. The gradients on everything are the worst part about this, so they have to go with no quesions asked.

B. I don't want to burst your bubble, but NFL teams are not allowed to even look at logos from unsolicited designers, after the debacle with the Baltimore Ravens plagiarized logo.

C. Go to [www.photobucket.com]. Sign up for an account. Go to your brand new Photobucket album and click [Choose File]. Find your image on your hard drive and click [OK]. Now click [submit]. Wait for the image to load. Copy the URL in the first box directly under your frshly loaded image. Come back here and click [Add Reply] where you want your image. Click %7Boption%7D and paste that URL you copied into the box and click [OK]. You can also type whatever you need to say in the post before you submit it.

D. No, black jerseys should not be official. Not for anyone except the Raiders, Steelers and Saints. It should be an alternate for the Bengals and Falcons, and nobody else should ever have a black jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

And by the way, when I sent in the last one, I had drawn (manual) a Jersey concept with Black outline, the following year they put it on thier Jerseys. Coincidence..... I dont think so. But check it out if you want to, I like it and hopefully they do to.

This is my favorite part of the post.

You are wrong it was a coincidence, because the black jerseys would have been already approved with the league a year before the random Lions intern opened your letter and sent you the stock letter back. You were just showing them an idea they already had. Besides, trust me, you do not have ANY influence on the Detroit Lions. I hate to burst your "bubbles" of grandeur, but its the truth.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

And by the way, when I sent in the last one, I had drawn (manual) a Jersey concept with Black outline, the following year they put it on thier Jerseys.

At least we now know who to blame for ruining one of the classiest uniform sets in the NFL with black jerseys... :mad:

The Detroit Lions need black jerseys as much as the Detroit Red Wings do. They have the best unique color in sports in Honolulu blue, and you want to trade that for run-of-the-mill black, worn by a handful of other teams (including some that also don't need to be wearing it)?

Ditto the logo - the Packers' "G" doesn't have "bite" or edge, and it's not X-TREME!!!!1!1!!!1! either. Neither does the simple star on the Cowboys' helmets. But these logos serve their purpose - it identifies the team wearing it quickly and easily, and connotes the traditions of the team. The Leaping Lion is recognized around the country; your gradient laden edgy lion head doesn't look like something fit for an NFL team with such a long history.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I appreciate the critisism, but does anybody have anything bad to say about it?... My first concept on here and it gets blasted off the bat,,, WOW... Ive only been on here a lil while and Ive seen some straight up garbage that some of you guys praise. And I post an original idea with creativity rather than change a color of an image and f it up with some 3rd grade line work, and now Im the joke?

Now as for Tempest, Leggman, and delayedpenalty, a DO appreciate your comments, they were honest, legitament critiques that I had no problem with...

But as for you other ones out there, the simple minded ones, I took the gradients off. I take your advice with a grain of salt and piss on it. Any of you guys have a 'concept' other than changin some colors? Maybe thought of a new logo for your team? Well unfortunatley Im from Michigan where we have the Lions, a team that hasent won more than 5 games in as many years, and Im sick of lookin at this team and the first thing I think or see is that putred ink blot on the side of thier helmet. That is the symbol of LOSING to me. The Dallas Star is a shape, the Packers have a letter, and Detroit has some psycho flashcard that looks like a freakin cookie cutter.

So my bad for tryin to think of a new image for my team, maybe Ill stop by an elementary school and see if I can get some ideas that you guys can praise.

Marqdesign, Is this logo your work?

DETLION-1jpg.jpg

You should turn that into a Detroit logo. I think that has more potential. I really dig that logo. BTW, I have been checking out your site and you do have alot of fine work on there. I have been enjoying clicking through it.

One last thing.

" Well unfortunatley Im from Michigan where we have the Lions, a team that hasent won more than 5 games in as many years, and Im sick of lookin at this team and the first thing I think or see is that putred ink blot on the side of thier helmet. That is the symbol of LOSING to me. The Dallas Star is a shape, the Packers have a letter, and Detroit has some psycho flashcard that looks like a freakin cookie cutter."

I agree with you 100% and felt the Lions should have changed for that reason. Hell, Look what it did for the Bucs and Patriots. I think alot of teams with severe losing traditions should take a hard look at changing their image.

The difference is that the old Pats and Bucs designs were universally mocked, whereas everybody loves the classic NFC North uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

actually, i think this is an excellent idea and concept. If any team needs a complete overhaul, the Lions do, and this logo would make a huge change. Many teams these days are leaning towards intimindating logos, but that "ink blot" they have now couldnt strike fear in anything. A new logo lik yours can be intimindating, especially with the blank eyes. I seriously like where you're going with this one!

TDZiMMB.png

Others may be all uptight about but I like it overall, I think the lion could use alittle more

detail to it, but I could be nice change from the logo they got now, which in my opinion has gotten kind of plain and boring. And to the others, it just a concept, that's it, just an idea no need to get to get all worked up like someone smacked you around, and stole your lunch money.

I also decided to click through your website today. While I think you have some potential [one of your illustrations and one of your paintings really stand out above anything else on the site], your body of work is very amateur-looking overall, pretty absent of some important design fundamentals. You need some formal training to bring out your potential. I think it would be a good investment if you want to pursue a career in art or design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

marqdesign - Lions fan? I am not a graphic artist, but have an eye for things that appeal to people. I also veiwed your sight - your a very good artist.

I like the flyer of Bob's B-day and the Sun Tatoo.

I don't see the lion as a professional logo - however, it's better that a lot of stuff that semi - & Pro teams are using. IMO, a great logo for Middle School or Elementary School (I am a teacher).

Your a talented artist - good luck and welcome to the CC Boards :welcome:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Ditching the gradients helped immesaurably. But the shape of the head doesn't say "lion" at this point. The maxillary fangs don't look like teeth; they look like they're outside the mouth and frame it, while lions' canine teeth are more centered within the mouth. Also, lions have thicker manes on top, rounded eyes, whiskers on the face, larger ears and a longer snout.

It looks like a predatory cat, but not a lion.

Also, looking at your panel of teams that have revised their logos recently, with few exceptions this can be said: the more established the team, the less drastic the redesign. The Cardinals made subtle changes to their well-known logo. Ditto the Dolphins, 49ers, Seahawks and Saints. (You could argue that the Falcons' new logo is a modernization of the only logo they've ever had as well, though more striking than the other teams.) The Giants and Jets used logos from their past. Of the teams that made great departures from what they had, there's usually an explanation, as with the Eagles and Buccaneers (new ownership), and the Ravens and Titans (new city/nickname). Of the remaining team, the Patriots were lampooned for changing to the Flying Elvis until they started winning Super Bowls. Same for the Broncos and Bucs.

The Lions aren't some new expansion team. They've got decades of history behind them, and such a radical shift wouldn't look appropriate to a lot of their fans, any more than allowing black to predominate their uniforms over Honolulu blue. They may need a change, but this is a little drastic.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think that the only prob. with this is the logo. I really dig your uniforms but if u were to find a more pro looking logo this really would look good. Maybe even just the current logo with an addition or a step forward to what they have now. AWSOME NONE THE LESS!

Archived