tampa bay rays logo on gameplans site

cward

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q&A With Stuart Sternberg

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published April 2, 2006

MT: What's new with the process of changing the team name and logo?

SS: We're actually looking at it. It's in the background, but we've started to do some work on it. We've got thousands of names, literally, thousands of names to choose from, and we'll have to choose a direction that we're going to head into.

MT: So it won't be Devil Rays - is that fair to say?

SS: Yes, that's fair to say. If the name, in fact, changes, it won't be Devil Rays.

MT: So if it doesn't change, it would be Devil Rays?

SS: I thought I could get that one by you. That means it's not definite it will change.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

SS: Yes, that's fair to say. If the name, in fact, changes, it won't be Devil Rays.

MT: So if it doesn't change, it would be Devil Rays?

SS: I thought I could get that one by you. That means it's not definite it will change.

So if the name changes, it won't be the Devil Rays?

These guys are good.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

What if the name changes and it's still Devil Rays? Or what if it doesn't change and it isn't Devil Rays? Or if it changes TO Devil Rays? Is "San Diego" German for "Devil Ray"?

San Diego is Spanish for Saint James (it may be Santiago, don't know).

Following up on my earlier post about bikes... if in fact it's the Tampa Bay Stingrays, then both 1998 expansion teams will be named after the prominent bikes from my youth.

I had a classic Schwinn Stingray, but the 'cool' kids had a BMX Diamondback... or something like that. Pardon the nostalgia.

Didn't Tampa Bay want the Marlins to stop using "Florida" a while back?

Can't blame them for wanting to...it's bad enough that the Yankees claim Tampa, now the Marlins are claiming the whole state. Poor Rays.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Following up on my earlier post about bikes... if in fact it's the Tampa Bay Stingrays, then both 1998 expansion teams will be named after the prominent bikes from my youth.

I had a classic Schwinn Stingray, but the 'cool' kids had a BMX Diamondback... or something like that. Pardon the nostalgia.

Ah, a Diamondback bike. Takes me back to the 80s.

Diamondback bikes

Archived