Slightly OT: Cardinals Stadium Graphics Package

TruColor

Nice stadium, but one glaring error:

There aren't supposed to be apostrophes to denote decades. 1940s is preferred, with '40s being accepted and 1940'S being categorically DE-NIED.

And that concludes my grammatical rant of the day. Kudos to the guy who used "stadia" in his post. Even I'm not that good.

That's funny, when I did my master's thesis three years ago, I pluralized the word as "stadiums" (incorrect, I know), and not even my thesis committee caught it ^_^

QPR%20Sig.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, while "stadia" might be preferred, "stadiums" is also acceptible.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/stadium

Main Entry: sta·di·um

Pronunciation: 'stA-dE-&m

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural sta·dia  /-dE-&/; or -di·ums

To my ear, "stadia" sounds like an affectation.

Also - in case you hadn't heard - Cardinals Stadium was featured on a recent episode of Extreme Engineering on the Discovery Channel, (Extreme Engineering) and was also named as one the Top Ten Most Impressive Sports Structures in the world, according to Business Week:

Top Ten Most Impressive Sports Structures

It's the only U.S. facility, and only one of two in North America.

Still off topic, but there have been so many cost overruns with the Beijing projects, I don't think they will look much like the renderings. Construction already was haulted once due to finance issues.

1. Yes, the Cardinals have history - in Chicago and St. Louis. They have a lot of losses piled up in Arizona.

2. The "Sportsman's Park" is more likely a shout out to the racetrack the Bidwills used to own in Chicago, not the ballpark in St. Louis (it was Busch Stadium by the time the Cards got to St Louie in 1960).

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Also - in case you hadn't heard - Cardinals Stadium was featured on a recent episode of Extreme Engineering on the Discovery Channel, (Extreme Engineering) and was also named as one the Top Ten Most Impressive Sports Structures in the world, according to Business Week:

Top Ten Most Impressive Sports Structures

It's the only U.S. facility, and only one of two in North America.

Still off topic, but there have been so many cost overruns with the Beijing projects, I don't think they will look much like the renderings. Construction already was haulted once due to finance issues.

Cost overruns with slave labor?! I agree I haven't see actual photos of any of the Beijing stuff just artist renderings.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

That stadium is pretty interesting...i especially like the history parts...i wonder if they will sell the space on the top of the roop to advertising.....like at busch stadium...

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

I'm not a fan of ribbony architecture (suck it, Gehry), so the exterior looks yicchy to me. The interiors, however, look quite nice.

OT: And the Beijing National Stadium, if they're really serious about the "bird's nest" thing, is going to look even more hideous in reality than it does in renderings. What looks good in a model does not always translate well at hyper-size. Giant twigs?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I'm not a fan of ribbony architecture (suck it, Gehry), so the exterior looks yicchy to me. The interiors, however, look quite nice.

OT: And the Beijing National Stadium, if they're really serious about the "bird's nest" thing, is going to look even more hideous in reality than it does in renderings. What looks good in a model does not always translate well at hyper-size. Giant twigs?

Beijing Olympic Stadium

Well, here is what it looks like. If this does not work, go to the sports sestion of Reuters.

Yea, it looks like twigs (and pretty unsafe too)!

Archived