K.C. to get MLB ASG

Ez Street

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Kansas City is an All-Star city again.

Commissioner Bud Selig announced Wednesday that a Major League All-Star Game between 2010 and 2014 will be held in Kansas City. The awarding of the game is contingent on the passage of a sales tax April 4 to finance Kauffman Stadium improvements.

An All-Star Game would bring five days of events to Kansas City, where the Midsummer Classic was last held in 1973.

"Major League Baseball is excited about the opportunity to bring an All-Star Game back to Kansas City," Selig said in a statement.

"Kauffman Stadium's construction played a key role in the transformation of modern-day ballparks. With the approval of the proposed renovations, this historic venue will once again be transformed into one of the crown jewels of Major League Baseball."

The infusion of an All-Star Game into the local economy is significant. According to Major League Baseball, the 2005 game had an economic impact of between $50 million and $55 million on Detroit. The 2004 game brought an estimated $65 million to Houston.

"This is obviously an exciting opportunity for the people of Kansas City and the Royals organization," club owner David Glass said.

"The All-Star Game has become one of the sport's greatest events and this would bring worldwide exposure to Kansas City and Kauffman Stadium. We are obviously very excited about the proposed enhancements to Kauffman Stadium, and bringing All-Star Week to Kansas City would be the icing on the cake. But first, we need to get the ballot passed and that's what we're going to do."

The event generates tremendous media coverage. The 2005 game was broadcast to 215 countries and was available in 13 languages. More than 100 million fans watched or listened to the 2005 events from Detroit with more than 1,500 media members providing coverage.

In the only All-Star Game at Kauffman Stadium, the National League defeated the American League, 7-1, with Johnny Bench belting a 480-foot home run. It's the longest homer in stadium history.

New Kauffman Stadium:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/downlo...lopmentplan.pdf

So for All Star Game sites we have this: (Based on published reports)

2006: Pittsburgh

2007: San Fran.

2008: Yankee Stadium (Current)

2009: Unknown (no Rumors_

2010: Yankee Stadium (New)

2011: Unknown (Probably a NL park or KC)

2012: KC?

My guess it will be 2010 or 2012

So for All Star Game sites we have this:

2009: Yankee Stadium (New)

2010: Unknown NL Park

2011: Kansas City (prob.)

My guess it will be 2011 or 2013. Depends probably if there are delays with the new Yankee Stadium.

Yankees two years in a row?

What you been smokin?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My guess it will be 2011 or 2013. Depends probably if there are delays with the new Yankee Stadium.

What you been smokin?

I believe there was a report over the summer that said MLB was thinking of doing that.

What you been smokin?

I believe there was a report over the summer that said MLB was thinking of doing that.

Reports are nothing more... I can't see MLB going along with that...

There were also reports that Toronto would get 2008... but you dont see me presenting it as fact :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

What you been smokin?

Reports are nothing more... I can't see MLB going along with that...

There were also reports that Toronto would get 2008... but you dont see me presenting it as fact :P

Went back and looked I was wrong about those reports it wasn't back-to-back years it was 2008 and 2010. The reports came from the New York Times and it came from an MLB source.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=356227

It certainly possible given the fact that New York is a big baseball city and more importantly the corporate presence that is in New York.

background info....

Jackson County Question 1:

is a proposed 3/8 cent sales tax for 25 years that will be used to partially fund a total transformation of our 34 year old stadiums at the Truman Sports Complex as required under the terms of new leases signed by the Chiefs and Royals on January 23, 2006. The teams have agreed to contribute $100 million and the State has agreed to provide $50 million in tax credits to complete the transformation, keeping the teams here for the next 25 years.

Jackson County Question 2:

will implement a County Use Tax which is paid mostly by big corporations to fund the cost of constructing, maintaining and operating The Rolling Roof at the Truman Sports Complex. Like the underlying improvements to the stadiums that are funded by the 3/8 cent sales tax, the Chiefs will contribute to the cost of constructing The Roof, and will cap all cost overruns, limiting the liability of the taxpayers. Question 2 is contingent upon passage of Question 1.

So if it all passes, KC will get a Super Bowl, an MLB All Star Game, and it's likely they could land a Final Four.

I believe the 2009 game will go to St. Louis now that it appears that the anchor leases for the new Ballpark Village are in place.

And the KC All Star Game could be part of a huge sports summer for Kansas City if it coincides with the grand opening of the NASCAR Hall of F . . .oh, nevermind.

I have to say, I doubt this thing will pass. Too much of the money is not accounted for. Now the Royals are reported to being building this "Ampitheater" in center field. It will hold 9,500 fans. Uh, hello! That is like a weeknight attendance number for your damn Ballpark. Basically if they use it for non-baseball related events, it will be a huge revenue for the club. They won't have to fork out a dime for it. But get all the consessions, tickets, and parking revenue.

The Royals at first didn't want the Rolling Roof, but now with the Ampitheater, they do. MLB has said the Rolling Roff does not need to pass for us to get the ASG.

But, the Chiefs and Royals may be able to woo and scare the voters of Jackson county into passing this thing.

Since I'm not voting, and not being taxed....I say do it. What ever gets a Super bowl and an ASG. I don't care.

Here is an indepth look at the new structures.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/downloads/sitemap.pdf

Two thoughts --

1. I'm surprised they would eliminate the symmetry of the stadium by adding seats in left field.

2. I'm surprised they would spend money on ANY extra seats when they rarely, if ever, fill the ones they have!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Overflow seating for All-Star Games? :blink:

Topographically, where is the land the amphitheater would sit on in terms of height relative to Kauffman Stadium? With the gigantic scoreboard in center field and the fountains on either side, I'd be pissed off if the Royals sat me in the amphitheater and tried to pass it off as "admission to the All-Star Game". And if I am a Royals' ticketholder, I'd hate to see them fill the space behind the scoreboard and fountains with seats that go empty for 98% of the games I watch.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived