CFL: Ottawa Renegades for sale

DMadSport

As reported today (3/22) on CBC's web site, the CFL is looking for prospective new owners for the Ottawa Renegades. However, there have been no guarantees made that the team will even play in 2006. The team's future may be decided at a Board of Governors meeting in April.

Gee, it always seems like once the CFL is able to repair the leaks in their dyke (Toronto and Hamilton) and gets ready to build on the dry side (i.e., possible expansion), there always seems to be another hole set to burst (this time, Ottawa).

Some say this will be the hole in Tom Wright's armor that allows Braley and Co. to take him out after this season. I certainly hope not. The man has done more good for the league in the last two years than the last two commissioners did in the last decade.

Also, we should get Hamilton and Toronto to bail Ottawa out for this season. The rest of the CFL bailed them out for long enough.

Isn't it ironic that the money that community-owned Winnipeg was sending to help the Argos was paying for the Argos to sign Arland Bruce when he returned.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ironic indeed...

I warned all sorts of peole about the Gliebermans, I had my doubts before they came along that the CFL wasn't completely upfront about the Renegades as a n expansion tea, but gave them the benefit of the doubt--I hope they can get somebody and make the franchise strong and then get that Halifax expansion team.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

leaks in their dyke

Rosie O'Donnell has an incontenence problem?

BSF, this is unfortunate news. Why is it that the capital city of Canada can't support one of their national games? I was stunned when the Rough Riders ceased operations and I can't believe that this franchise is now in jeopardy. It seems rather a shame that in a country that would appear to have more than enough metro populations to support at least dozen teams they can't seem to keep nine afloat. I hate to say it but perhaps it's time for the NFL (which does have some sort of official partnership with the CFL, I believe) to send some of its folks up north to assist in rehabbing this league or figuring out a way to integrate it into the NFL family in some manifestation.

Can we buy this team? I've got a few grand to pony up...

And maybe we could help them rediscover the pewter in their color scheme in the process. :D

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Gliebermans are the kiss of death to CFL teams. This will make the third team they've helped kill if the Renegades fold. I blame the CFL Board of Directors for letting them 10 feet near the Renegades despte all their past crimes.

Ottawa is a perfectly good market. The team just needs front office who doesn't have their heads shoved up their collective @$$. Turning the stadium into into a circus freak show is NOT the way to do things. I would have thought the XFL would have brought that lesson home.

Sell one of us the team for $1 and a one year probation and I could promise you we could turn a profit in our sleep. The team doesn't need to win a championship to turn a profit, it just needs to be competitve, and make their fan base feel as though they're getting their money's worth. A lot of that doesn't take more money, it just takes smart business decisions and some common sense.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The Gliebermans are the kiss of death to CFL teams. This will make the third team they've helped kill if the Renegades fold. I blame the CFL Board of Directors for letting them 10 feet near the Renegades despte all their past crimes.

While the Gliebermans' ownership track-record in the Canadian Football League is one of abject failure, I'm not going to lay responsibility at their feet for the possible demise of the Ottawa Renegades.

The Renegades were on "life-support" when the CFL approved the sale to the Gliebermans. In truth, given the nigh on irreparable damage that the previous ownership group had done to both the team - and the market - during their stewardship of the franchise, the league would have been better served by simply folding the club. Instead, in an effort to save face, the league chose to engage in a move that was akin to handing command of the Titanic to Captain Joseph Hazlewood.

The question which must be asked is this: What does it say about the cache of owning a CFL team (in anything but the three or four biggest Canadian markets) when the Gliebermans are deemed to be the most worthy of the candidates to step-up to the task in Ottawa? Either the league passed over more qualified candidates, or quality business-people aren't overly impressed with the prospects of owning and operating a CFL club in anything but the biggest markets.

This is notr good the CFL needs a team in Ottwaw and they need a team in Halifax its time they start expanding and getting some of these teams help if they want to keep the league afloat.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Why not go community-owned, like Winnipeg and Saskatchewan? A metropolitan area of nearly 1 million should be able to support it.

No, Ottawa's failed twice because poor management and poor fan support... kind of a chicken/egg scenario with that. Nobody wants to buy them because the fans haven't shown they'll support the team in any significant numbers, and as a result only poor management is found, which runs the team into the ground... and the cycle continues.

It's really too bad Eugene Melnyk didn't step up to the plate. Or any number of Ottawa fat cats... or the city itself. An embarrassment to the entire nation.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It's really too bad Eugene Melnyk didn't step up to the plate. Or any number of Ottawa fat cats... or the city itself. An embarrassment to the entire nation.

Eugene Melnyk might as well buy up the rest of Ottawa, if he's the only real fat cat on the Ottawa scene with the cash and the interest in funding pro sports there.

As for a national embarrassment, I don't know if it's quite that bad. Sure, Ottawa should have a team, but is the CFL not being in Canada's capital any worse than America's pasttime failing TWICE in its nation's capital and only getting a 3rd chance last season, after almost a quarter-century without MLB? Or the 2nd largest market in the US (which at one time supported 2 NFL teams) not having a pro football team?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

They need to win. They need to win. They need to win.

I keep thinking they need to rig it so they can win, just for at least one season, or they will never stay afloat.

1979 was the last year that Ottawa finished over .500

This isn't the Chicago Cubs we're talking about. This is a league of only nine teams, 67% of which make the playoffs each year. It shouldn't be that difficult!

Ottawa is cursed.

Archived