Tuna done in Dallas?

TUNA SURPRISE: PARCELLS OUT IN BIG D

A league source tells us that Cowboys coach Bill Parcells resigned his position on Friday night after a lengthy meeting with owner Jerry Jones regarding the decision to sign receiver Terrell Owens.

Parcells, who signed an extension last season, was angered by the acquisition of Owens. The veteran coach, we hear, told Jones that Owens had not changed and should not be signed. Parcells became livid after Owens' book deal was announced, which happened less than two days after Owens was introduced as a member of the organization.

Butch Davis is the leading candidate to replace Parcells. Davis was the Cowboys' defensive coordinator in the early 1990s, and he served with Jimmy Johnson's two Super Bowl teams.

For Parcells, his coaching career is likely over after stints as the top dog with the Giants, Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys.

-------------------------

I don't know how reliable of a source profootballtalk.com is. most likely is a rumor because i haven't seen the major media report it yet.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

TUNA SURPRISE: PARCELLS OUT IN BIG D

A league source tells us that Cowboys coach Bill Parcells resigned his position on Friday night after a lengthy meeting with owner Jerry Jones regarding the decision to sign receiver Terrell Owens.

Parcells, who signed an extension last season, was angered by the acquisition of Owens. The veteran coach, we hear, told Jones that Owens had not changed and should not be signed. Parcells became livid after Owens' book deal was announced, which happened less than two days after Owens was introduced as a member of the organization.

Butch Davis is the leading candidate to replace Parcells. Davis was the Cowboys' defensive coordinator in the early 1990s, and he served with Jimmy Johnson's two Super Bowl teams.

For Parcells, his coaching career is likely over after stints as the top dog with the Giants, Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys.

-------------------------

I don't know how reliable of a source profootballtalk.com is. most likely is a rumor because i haven't seen the major media report it yet.

tell me again on April 2.

CLearly an April Fools joke the site pulled. Parcells isn't going to retire because of T.O. If he doesn't like the T.O signing (which he probably doesn't) he'll just make T.O.'s football life hell because that is how Bill Parcells does things.

[Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]

Bill Parcells: "Ah, I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."

Thanks Brinkeguthrie! Now I understand those "Can the Tuna!" cries there down in NYC one decade ago.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Now I understand those "Can the Tuna!" cries there down in NYC one decade ago.

When did Jets or Giants fans ever want Parcells fired?? That man helped turn those teams into winners.

As a Jets fan, I hated to see Bill Parcells leave.

6uXNWAo.png

i've been on some cowboys boards and a good percentage already is calling for his firing. though i never understood why, the team is in its best shape in almost 10 years and has done a better job than i expected. They're one good draft from being serious contendors. he's having to rebuild the team from the ground up after some bad mismanagement by Boss Hogg. im still bewildered how jerry could go from building a super bowl dynasty to making the team resemble the Hazzard County Police Department.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Thanks Brinkeguthrie! Now I understand those "Can the Tuna!" cries there down in NYC one decade ago.

The only "Can the Tuna" (or similar) cries I heard was during Parcells' first year with the Jets when they played the Pats at Foxboro...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived