Maryland Baseball Concept.

sacker12

After the discussion in a previous thread about how bad the Nationals-style looks looks on the Terps, I decided that it would be a good idea to make my own concept. I thought that a Giants-style looks would look best. I had a huge dilemma about whether a solid black hat would look best on both sets, but I eventually decided on the black and red hat. However, I may change that. So, here it is. I hope that you guys like them. C&C appreciated. Thanks.

Home: marylandhome.png

Road: marylandroad.png

Nice work.

My only problem with it is the discrepancy in size between the first and last letters and rest of the wordmark. It's such a large discrepancy that it looks like something should be there and isn't. Since it doesn't look like you intend to underline the word, you're probably better off making the letters all one size for a nice smooth arch across the front.

Those are awesome. The normal Maryland font and numbers looks great on the jerseys!

Can anyone explain why this is the "Maryland normal font"? The only team using it right now is the men's basketball team. The women's hoops team wears block numbers, as does the football team, and the baseball team wears Nationals knockoffs. Furthermore, Wisconsin and Missouri use the exact same font on their men's basketball (and only men's basketball) uniforms. I'm looking for an objective, rational answer, since it doesn't appear that the Terps can lay claim to it as theirs, nor have they done a particularly aggressive job of unifying their look to it the way Colorado did this year with its fonts and wordmarks.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Actually, I got this logo off of brandsoftheworld.com. This is the same wordmark that is on the men's basketball jerseys.

But on the men's hoops jerseys, there is a number placed centrally below the wordmark in a location that is the focal part of the jersey as a means of player identification from the front side of the jersey. On the baseball jersey, there's nothing below the wordmark that needs extra space for attention. As such, the wordmark calls attention to empty white space on the front of the baseball jersey without a smooth arch along the bottom edge of the wordmark.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I agree with the earlier poster that the basketball script doesn't quite work for the baseball jersey. The huge arch takes the letters from the belly button to the armpits. That's just begging umps to call the high strike against the Terps but not against their opponents, who will be wearing regular jerseys with the script at chest height. Plus, the very arched script framing the bottom of the rib cage with a bulbous mass of white space below will make the Terps players look like they have beer guts. The lettering is nice, but it needs to be de-arched a bit. Well, not a bit. A lot.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the trim. It's still too Nationals-y for me (and I'm not even a big fan of that kind of trim on the Nationals, as awesome as the Nats are). I see that trim and I think, "You know, I wasn't actually confused as to red and black being the colors here, but thanks anyway." If there must be trim, I'd rather see something more in line with the Maryland flag, which is much more distinctive than any other element on the uniform. Yellow and black checked trim? A red-and-white pair of thick stripes with the inverted-color-cross at the side? I know, red and black are the team colors, but something hinting at the much more interesting state flag could really kick this up a notch, much as the black and gold trim on the Terps basketball jerseys does.

And I know it's not your design, having seen it at Modell's yesterday, but that had is exactly what the Terps baseball team should wear. Good choice using it for this concept.

20082614447.png

Can anyone explain why this is the "Maryland normal font"?  The only team using it right now is the men's basketball team.  The women's hoops team wears block numbers, as does the football team, and the baseball team wears Nationals knockoffs.  Furthermore, Wisconsin and Missouri use the exact same font on their men's basketball (and only men's basketball) uniforms.  I'm looking for an objective, rational answer, since it doesn't appear that the Terps can lay claim to it as theirs, nor have they done a particularly aggressive job of unifying their look to it the way Colorado did this year with its fonts and wordmarks.

The best answer I can give has two parts:

1. Until recently, it was used by pretty much all of the high profile sports at Maryland (football, basketball, lacrosse).

2. Maryland basketball is probably the most prominent of all of the teams that use/have used that number font (2002 National Champs, and all). Therefore, to the extent anyone has become generally associated it with it, it is Maryland.

As for the concept, I agree with VitaminD and BallWonk regarding the wordmark. I love it in general, but on a baseball jersey, there looks like there should be something else with it. I generally (though not always) prefer that teams using words on the jersey front should also have a uniform number. In this case, the absence of a uniform number makes it look as if something is missing.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have no problem with the wordmark per se, but it is proportioned a little funny to me for some reason. I'd look into making the wordmark a bit more compact and adding a number to the front. That and adding some of the black/gold trim from the basketball jerseys to the piping on these jerseys. It's something that looks a little more distinctly Maryland to me, and I'd like to see how it works on a baseball jersey.

QPR%20Sig.png

While it's certainly possible to use it elsewhere (and I agree it looks good on the baseball cap), for right now, the block M with the flag on top is a basketball-only logo.

The baseball team has had -- for the most part -- the same cap for at least 30 years:

03-656-s.jpg

and I can't see why it still can't be used.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

While it's certainly possible to use it elsewhere (and I agree it looks good on the baseball cap), for right now, the block M with the flag on top is a basketball-only logo.

The baseball team has had -- for the most part -- the same cap for at least 30 years:

03-656-s.jpg

and I can't see why it still can't be used.

THAT is one sweet cap, IMO.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 3 weeks later...

Archived