Gators Get Crappy Ratings in NCAA Tourney

rmackman

Associated Press

NEW YORK - The NCAA tournament championship game between Florida and UCLA drew an 11.2 Nielsen rating for CBS, down 25 percent from last year?s final.

Florida?s 73-57 victory over UCLA on Monday was watched by 12.31 million households. Last season, North Carolina beat Illinois in the final and the game drew a 15.0 rating.

But the Gators and Bruins did slightly better than the 2004 championship game, when Connecticut?s victory over Georgia Tech drew an 11.0 rating.

CBS?s 26 tournament telecasts averaged a 6.3 rating ? with an average of 6.959 million households watching ? down 9 percent from last season (6.9), but up 2 percent from 2004.

The thing is this was the 2nd lowest rating for a Final since the Tournament went Prime Time in the mid 70's. The Marlins got bad ratings in both of their World Series wins as well, so what it says to me is if the State of Florida makes the Championship....NOBODY CARES! That's disheartening. Part of the problem though, is that its own residents are the ones who don't care! Conan Obrien said last night that he had video of Florida fans celebrating their win, and then he showed people in a nursing home trying to stay alive. Oy!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I stopped watching about ten minutes in. At that point you knew it was going to be a "boat race" once Florida went up by 10. I instead tuned in to the 7-1 Oilers blowout of the Coyotes. Now THAT was a game! :P

6uXNWAo.png

for being such a good tourney up to the final four, the games on saturdy and mondays championship were incredibly disappointing and not entertaining at all.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Not only were the 2 games on Saturday uncompetitive and unenjoyable to watch (unless you're a fan/alum of UCLA or UF), most people's brackets were wrecked before the Final Four even got started, so anyone who'd normally watch with a financial interest in the game did something else. Last year, thousands of people had money riding on UNC or Illinois for their brackets, even if they had no affiliation with either school; without a big-time favorite in the final this year to affect brackets (UConn, Duke, Villanova), all you had was a blowout. It's not Florida's fault, at least not entirely.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

When you're competing with the NHL and NBA seasons hitting the stretch run and Opening Day for MLB, a college basketball game starting after 9pm just won't get much draw outside of the competing schools' areas and the college basketball hotbeds.

The Women's championship was twice as good, but I would bet it was viewed by juch less than half the number that watched the men's championship.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The Women's championship was twice as good, but I would bet it was viewed by juch less than half the number that watched the men's championship.

I read this morning that the overnight on the women's game was 3.1 (barely more than 1/4 of the men's game's rating), so you are right on the money.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Women's championship was twice as good, but I would bet it was viewed by  juch less than half the number that watched the men's championship.

I read this morning that the overnight on the women's game was 3.1 (barely more than 1/4 of the men's game's rating), so you are right on the money.

That's actually pretty impressive considering that the Men's game was Primetime on a over the air network, were as the Women's was on basic cable. At least I know most cable channels would kill for a 3.1 rating.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The women's national championship game usually gets pretty good ratings for ESPN. Last year's men's national championship game outdid the NBA Finals, the World Series, the Daytona 500, Monday Night Football, the BCS and this year's Winter Olympics. The game, between UNC and Illinois, got a 16 rating.

Archived