La.-Monroe fans vote 'Warhawks' as new mascot

lahaye7

Could have been worse I guess...

MONROE (AP) -- Indians are out, Warhawks are in.

Louisiana-Monroe, which had used the nickname Indians for 75 years, will now be known as the Warhawks.

The new mascot was picked from votes in an online poll after the NCAA banned the use of Indian names and imagery.

Louisiana-Monroe was among 18 schools deemed by the NCAA in August to have nicknames, mascots or logos that are "hostile or abusive" to American Indians.

The school thought about appealing the ruling, but decided not to.

This spring the school retired the cartoonish mascot Chief Brave Spirit from appearing at ULM events. References to the campus as "The Reservation" were also stopped.

The final design of the mascot is still being decided. A committee has suggested the Warhawk mascot could assume a variety of identities that draw upon different strengths.

One would draw on the area's aviation history. The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was flown by Northeast Louisiana's General Claire Chennault and the Flying Tigers during WWII. The P-40 was the first American plane to break 300 mph, was rugged, and could withstand heavy punishment.

The Warhawk identity might also include the hawks, birds of prey indigenous to the area and often seen on ULM's campus.

ULM officials are hoping to unveil the new mascot designs, done by Rickabaugh Graphics, by June 1.

:cursing:

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

He said "war"! Someone ban him! I'm offended! Totally! Anyone who posts the word "war" is oppressing me! I'm being oppressed!

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

King Arthur: Bloody peasant!

Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

:D

I like the name and so long as they emphisize the hawk part more than the war part, they should be fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

As a student of UW-Whitewater I am a little dissapointed in their name choice. Up until now UWW was the ONLY college nicknamed the Warhawks.

Well actually I hate to let you know there is a community college and a host of high schools with that nickname:

WARHAWKS -

U of Wisconsin-Whitewater

Calhoun C.C. AL

Daleville HS AL

Mount Vernon-Enola HS AR

Bloomfield HS CT

Seminole HS FL

Henry County HS GA

North Chicago HS IL

Westerville Central HS OH

Vienna Madison HS VA

Hartland Arrowhead HS WI

Germantown HS WI

yeah, but the point was UWW was the only NCAA school that used "Warhawks," and the only other college you listed is a juco.

heh, I'm for it, as long as they don't take our fight song too. The only problem I foresee is at some point if UWW gets back to the Stagg Bowl or the D3 Final Four, and some idiots think we ripped the name off of ULL :cursing:

now excuse me while I shout out the battle cry B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

[sarcasm]while we are at it, why not ask the miami hurricanes and Carolina Hurricanes to drop the "hurricanes" moniker, after all using the name "Hurricanes" is insensitive to those who are victoms of hurricane damage.

the NO Saints and LA Angels should have to take down there nick names since "Angels" and "Saints" are connected to religion and you can't have religion in the public place(seperation of church and state) and it offends people of non christian faiths.

we definately can't have the Dallas Cowboys, Oklahoma Cowboys because the "cowboys" were oppresive to native americans and its offensive to native americans.

certainly can't have the New Jersey Devils and the Washington Wizards as they represent demonic symbols and its offensive to practicing christians.

can't have the Buffalo Sabres because a sabre is a weapon and it promotes violence.

Colorado Avalanche is offensive to those who are victoms of avalanches. [/sarcasm]

when does the madness end. <_<

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived