Ottawa Renegades suspend operations for 1 year!

GeorgesL

Y not put teams in Hailfax, St. Johns, Quebec and a 4th city to hepl the game grow into the mairarimes??

Because this is not the NFL, with its multi-billion dollar TV deals and season ticket waiting lists in key cities.

Teams have to be able to support themselves - they have to become self-sufficient quickly, because the league doesn't have the resources to put a team in a location and wait for the fanbase to grow into the idea.

The most likely scenario would see the league expand into either Halifax or Quebec City in 5 years (if those 5 years are stable and the revenue structure solidifies somewhat), and then let that situation settle down.

The league has only had one successful franchise placement in the last 10 years (Montreal), and maybe 2 in the last 20 years (add Baltimore to that list, which ironically later became Montreal). And even the Als looked to be on unstable ground until they saw the light and moved downtown. It's not easy to try and become a stable secondary league.

Think of minor league baseball, minor league hockey, minor league basketball - it's a tough tough business.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I agree with SyPhi about the Gliebermans. They seem to have a very poor track record with ownership, especially the Ottawa Renegades/Rough Riders. I felt Ottawa fielded a good team with lots of potential. They just had a problem with ownership. And Tom Wright should've known better than to put the Gliebermans back into the picture, given their history.

I feel the CFL has plenty of time to get an ownership group together after this season is over. But not without throwing caution to the wind. And if and when the CFL does expand, they must learn what not to do with a franchise. (Expand to Quebec City)

It's not that Ottawa is a poor sports city. I think it's a great sports city, that's just going through a long stretch of hard times. The Ottawa Senators are on the verge of winning the Stanley Cup, should they succeed in the playoffs. And they haven't had a hockey team since the 20's.

As for the Renegades, they do have a stadium. But unless someone comes forward with the right funds to support the team, Frank Clair Stadium will become a ghost town. If the team is community-owned like Saskatchewan, the Renegades will still be playing.

It just goes to show, some people can't be trusted. Especially the Gliebermans. (And who can forget Nelson Skalbania) I just hope the league finds somebody soon. It'd be a shame to waste a major Canadian market. (Quebec City)

well y not try to market the game and get a big tv deal????, like ESPN, or ESPN2??

I don't think ESPN would be interested (they could get better ratings with poker), but I have seen some games on Comcast Chicago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

well y not try to market the game and get a big tv deal????, like ESPN, or ESPN2??

Tell you what, if you think you have the skills to make that happen, forward your resume to the CFL. They'd love to have someone who can "market the league and get a big TV deal". :)

The CFL has been marketing its game for a long, long time, and considering its still operating 8 teams in a market approx one tenth the size of the US, that's not a bad level of market penetration. (Consider this - if the US had as many teams per capita, the NFL would be playing with about 80 teams.)

However, Canada is only so lucrative a market. Advertisers and sponsors aren't going to pay what American advertisers and sponsors pay, because the market is one tenth the size. Recently, the league's exposure has been growing - TV deals are growing, ratings are up, fan support is at an all-time high, etc. etc. But it will never even approach NFL levels based purely on mathematics.

Attempts to break into the American market have met varying levels of success - Baltimore was a notable semi-success, while Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Antonio, Shreveport, Birmingham, and Memphis were less so. The US already has a national football league, and with college football has a minor circuit that hits just about every market imaginable. We've all seen the problems experienced by leagues that attempt to carve out their own niche... the USFL and XFL, for example.

Does the CFL want to expand, become better, more well respected, more profitable? Absolutely. Any rational for-profit business will, and the CFL is most certainly a for-profit business.

However, if I read the situation correctly, deviating from the core business principles that it was built on - being a distinctly Canadian football league - would hurt the league, even if it would open up more potential opportunities.

I liken it to a fast break in basketball - its a very successful way of scoring easy baskets, but if you don't have numbers or are a slow runner (and are more effective when setting up the offense), then its probably a good idea to pull up, slow things down, and get the job done that way.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

i'm not saying that the CFL will ever be like the NFL in terms of fans and such, but look what the AFL did they have a TV deal on a network and a video game out for it, maybe the CFL can try to use that as a blueprint???...I mean try haveing the Grey Cup on network TV like the Arena Bowl was when they first broke into the network TV market and see how that goes and build from there..........I think the reason the CFL failed in the USA beofre was the cities it was in, try LA, Columbus, Hartford, San Antoino, Portland and a nother midwest team that does not have NFL and it might work

i'm not saying that the CFL will ever be like the NFL in terms of fans and such, but look what the AFL did they have a TV deal on a network and a video game out for it, maybe the CFL can try to use that as a blueprint???...I mean try haveing the Grey Cup on network TV like the Arena Bowl was when they first broke into the network TV market and see how that goes and build from there..........I think the reason the CFL failed in the USA beofre was the cities it was in, try LA, Columbus, Hartford, San Antoino, Portland and a nother midwest team that does not have NFL and it might work

The Grey Cup is on network TV... in Canada.

No network in the US is going to show a championship game for anything that doesn't have a hope of having an American franchise participate. The CFL is already available to most American households via satellite, and is making more and more inroads that direction.

But in the end, American money won't come without American franchises, and American franchises are the last thing on the CFL's mind.

The video game idea has been bantered around, and honestly, Canada just isn't big enough to justify it. I always thought a Madden expansion could work, but EA hasn't hired me yet. :)

As far as expanding to larger markets, the CFL would rather expand to a smaller market that is underserved than a larger one that is oversaturated. Baseball and hockey each overlap the CFL season, and in cities where both of those are big league teams (Toronto), the CFL has historically struggled. Some of your markets could conceivably work, but others (like San Antonio) have already been tried.

And before that even gets considered, you'd have to persuade the CFL board of governors that its worth their while to abandon their core business. Interesting to talk about, at any rate.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think a CFL expansion to college football towns in the northern US would be successful (Syracuse, Boise)

i could see that working auctally...............i said San Antoino is cause of how much they supporated the saints so maybe it be wise to look at that city again

But, it didn't work the first time in San Antonio, lilben.

If the CFL really wants to expan to another Canadian city that is willing to support a franchise, then they would. Halifax and the Meritimes region are a good option to look at because it has been over 20 years since the Schooners' fiasco. I believe they could possible support a franchise in the CFL.

It's also possible that Quebec City could support a team as well, but Montreal might have issues with another team nearby.

But, if they don't want to expan, then they won't. One of the key things about the CFL is the staying powers of every team there. Most of the franchises in that league have been around for many years and most people know it'll stay that way.

I like the Syracuse idea. Maybe Columbus, too, though that didn't work out so well for the Ohio Glory.

I will once again float the idea of CCSLC members buying this franchise. At least the uniforms will look good, and I'm willing to be a frontman for the ownership group as the "crazy misinformed American." Seriously, I'm thinking of an ad campaign.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well seeing that San Antoino was 10 years ago, and seeing how well they responded with the saints, why not try it again maybe??...........Also with the college town idea why not South Bend and Millwaukee/Madision??

I like the Syracuse idea. Maybe Columbus, too, though that didn't work out so well for the Ohio Glory.

I will once again float the idea of CCSLC members buying this franchise. At least the uniforms will look good, and I'm willing to be a frontman for the ownership group as the "crazy misinformed American." Seriously, I'm thinking of an ad campaign.

I'll join. Put them in Hartford or Syracuse.

But, it didn't work the first time in San Antonio, lilben.

Very true... lilben apparently also thinks that San Antonio is in the northern US ;)

... actually, San Antonio is in Northern Mexico....

I saw, I came, I left.

How much is a team, because if we know we can figure out how much each person would have to pay for us to get one. :D

bmoresig.png

'and they don't question what I say cause I'm a ladies Pimp"

I think the Renegades could be had fairly cheaply. Of course, once you buy them, you've got to maintain and promote them... and that's probably a figure around the 10 million mark for the first year. I may be low-balling there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the Renegades could be had fairly cheaply. Of course, once you buy them, you've got to maintain and promote them... and that's probably a figure around the 10 million mark for the first year. I may be low-balling there.

Well, quite possibly we may have found someone who could do just that...one can only hope.

Steelback brewery magnate interested in buying Renegades.

I think the Renegades could be had fairly cheaply.  Of course, once you buy them, you've got to maintain and promote them... and that's probably a figure around the 10 million mark for the first year.  I may be low-balling there.

Well, quite possibly we may have found someone who could do just that...one can only hope.

Steelback brewery magnate interested in buying Renegades.

And once again a businessman from the GTA bails out an Ottawa sports team.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived