The end of Tiger Stadium?

logodawg

Seems like Tiger Stadium will be gone this time next year

Mayor wants stadium razed

I can't say that I'm surprised. It's a valuable piece of ground and it's an old stadium that would pretty much have to be gutted to be usable again. Plus it's not like Detroit is short of stadiums with Comerica, Ford Field, Tiger Stadium and the Silverdome and Eastern Michigan and the Big House all within less an hour drive.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Noooooooooooo

They shoudl fix it up and use it for High School sports and minor league baseball.

I'm sure that's what we all would like to do, but to have to look at the facts. The city is over budget $100 million a year, and they're sitting on a piece of ground worth some cash, but right now there's just an empty stadium that's costing them money. Plus I have a feeling that the Mayor plans to use the money from the sale of the property to cover the cost of fixing up the police headquarters.

And I think you have to give credit to the city for keeping it up as long as they did and that it seems they have put a lot of thought into what exactly the land should be used for.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I can understand the city's desire to redevelop the property. However, shouldn't they look to continuing the redevelopment of downtown before they start heading away from the core of the city. Before they do any demolition they shold have the development plan in place. I can see the desire to preserve Tiger Stadium, but honestly would there be enough support to preserve and maintain it? Then again, since it is Mayor Kwame, he'll get bored after awhile and get another Lincoln Navigator.

the original plan for the stadium never gathered enough support to do anything. the plan was to build a condo/apartment development out of the original structure and leave the playing field intact. i would have ponied up a ton of money to live in Tiger Stadium. i will certainly miss the place, as it was my favorite place on the planet (i held season tickets throughout most of the nineties).

It was a long time coming. At this point I feel much worse for the city itself than for the stadium. If nobody has the money and will to save it, as has been attempted many times, then it will get torn down. The city is in terrible shape, and if Corktown will get development that's not a parking lot, then I'm for it. (never thought I'd say that). It will be a sad day, but not a surprise.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Silverdome

I thought after the Super Bowl they were going to get rid of that thing.

That was the plan but the Pontiac City Council is holding up the developers for more money so everything is on hold for the moment. It's a joke that Tiger Stadium has been left to root for all of these years they should have had the land sold and the bulldozers ready to go the day after the last game. A minor league or CFL team would never draw as you have major league teams playing just down the road and the novelty of seeing the old stadium would wear off after a few years which means they would never make enough money for upkeep on the stadium.

Silverdome

I thought after the Super Bowl they were going to get rid of that thing.

That was the plan but the Pontiac City Council is holding up the developers for more money so everything is on hold for the moment. It's a joke that Tiger Stadium has been left to root for all of these years they should have had the land sold and the bulldozers ready to go the day after the last game. A minor league or CFL team would never draw as you have major league teams playing just down the road and the novelty of seeing the old stadium would wear off after a few years which means they would never make enough money for upkeep on the stadium.

Actually, the plan was to keep it around, hoping that there would be more options than just tearing it down, that's why they raised some $2.5 million for upkeep from a surcharge on Tigers tickets, but that money is almost gone.

I think if the city had the money to keep this thing updated and fixed up with new paint, plumbing and electrical wiring, it might be able to be used as a minor league park or for occasional exhibitions. Instead, the city has to spend its money on stupid stuff like education, roads, utilities, etc. and there's nothing left for poor ol' Griggs Stadium.

I'll miss it as will many others, but perhaps it's just time to demolish it.

Something I'd like to see someday is a baseball complex with replicas built of some of the more famous ballparks. Problem will be picking which ones.

Wrigley, Fenway, Griggs, Sportsmans Park, Shibe, Ebbets, Polo Grounds, Forbes, Griffith, and many many more.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I think if the city had the money to keep this thing updated and fixed up with new paint, plumbing and electrical wiring, it might be able to be used as a minor league park or for occasional exhibitions. Instead, the city has to spend its money on stupid stuff like education, roads, utilities, etc. and there's nothing left for poor ol' Griggs Stadium.

I'll miss it as will many others, but perhaps it's just time to demolish it.

Something I'd like to see someday is a baseball complex with replicas built of some of the more famous ballparks. Problem will be picking which ones.

Wrigley, Fenway, Griggs, Sportsmans Park, Shibe, Ebbets, Polo Grounds, Forbes, Griffith, and many many more.

Briggs.

Hearing this makes me feel even luckier that I got to a game at Michigan and Trumbull during the final season. Scored bleacher seats when Bic Mac and the Cardinals came to town. The perspective from those seats was unlike anything I've ever experienced in over 25 years of watching major league baseball games, just behind the RF fence and under the overhang.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived