Bison Dele

nsentv

Does anyone remember Bison Dele (formerly Brian Williams)? He played for the Bulls when they won in '97, and played for the Pistons the rest of his career. In 2002, he was murdered by his brother in the South Pacific in one of the most bizarre mysteries, sports or otherwise, in recent memory.

From wikipedia:

In July 2002, Dele and his girlfriend, Serena Karlan, sailed on the South Pacific Ocean along with skipper Bertrand Saldo on Dele's catamaran, the Hakuna Matata. Dele's brother, Miles Dabord (born Kevin Williams), was the only person involved in the voyage who was seen or heard from after July 8, when the party was in Tahiti. Dele and Karlan had previously kept regular contact with their banks and family members. On July 20, Dabord was by himself when he brought the boat into Tahiti. [2]

On September 5, police used a sting operation organized by Dele's family and friends to detain Dabord in Phoenix, Arizona. Dabord had forged his brother's signature in order to buy $152,000 worth of gold under his brother's name. He had used Dele's passport as identification. [3] Mexican police later found that Dabord had been staying at a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico. Two days before, the Hakuna Matata, which had been registered in Tahiti under another name, was found off the coast of Tahiti with its name plate removed and some possible bullet holes patched. About the same time, Dabord phoned Patricia Phillips, the mother of Dabord and Dele, telling her that he would never hurt his brother and that he could not survive in prison. [4]

The FBI, which did not usually handle missing-persons cases, became involved in the investigation regarding Dele. However, the FBI and French authorities became involved in the case and concluded that Dele, Karlan and Saldo were probably killed, and then thrown overboard, by Dabord. Given that the bodies were likely dumped in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it would be highly unlikely that the three would ever be found. [5]

Dabord, the only major source of information regarding the case, intentionally overdosed on insulin and slipped into a coma. On September 27, 2002, he died in a California hospital. After Dabord's suicide, officials did not expect to find much more regarding the case. A memorial service was then held for both Dabord and Dele.

Dabord and Dele were frequently at odds with each other. After Dabord's death, his lawyer and life-long best friend, Paul White, was questioned regarding his client but gave little information about what happened. Dabord had said that he knew for sure that Dele and Karlan were in French Polynesia, but not much more other than that he was trying to help Dele. [6]

Stranger than fiction.

I remember that Bison Dele (then Brian Williams with the Bulls) was a pretty good player on both the 1997 and 1998 Bulls teams. He backed up Luc Longley pretty well amd probably should have started over Longley.

After the Bulls, I think he played for the Pistons, which is where he had his name changed.

For those who don't remember... we had no idea what happened to Bison Dele at the time... all we had heard was that he was missing, and that he recently set sail, we presumed he got into a boat accident or something... I think we didn't find out about the murder until a good 2-3 months after the initial reports of his disappearance

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I remember reading a story about how weird it was. That he disappeared after being on some kind of tropical (or whatever) private boat trip and that he was presumed dead.

I never read for sure that they'd decided his brother murdered him.

I do remember him playing for the Bulls and the Pistons.

I've always thought that's one of the saddest and weirdest stories I've ever heard.

I remember that Bison Dele (then Brian Williams with the Bulls) was a pretty good player on both the 1997 and 1998 Bulls teams. He backed up Luc Longley pretty well amd probably should have started over Longley.

After the Bulls, I think he played for the Pistons, which is where he had his name changed.

He was not on the 1998 team. He signed with Detroit after the '97 Finals.

Strange, strange end for a strange, strange guy.

He was an Arizona Wildcat. IIRC, he transfered to UA after beginning his career as a different sort of Wildcat, at Kentucky.

His freshman season was at Maryland (87-88) during the last days of the Bob Wade era. Regardless, a sad story as not only he, but an innocent young woman also lost her life.

Archived