Marlins Name Change

rebelx

I'll never understand that logic.

Did anyone ever think that the market is too small to pull 3 million tickets, and that is really unrealistic in a city of 2.2 million?!

There are 5 million in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida

Uh, you're using 3 counties!.

Miami-Dade county is 2.2 million

And still then my point is that Miami is bad basketball and hockey town too because they haven't been able to consistently sell tickets either.

But I think it's time to graveyard this thread, it's going nowhere.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll never understand that logic.

Did anyone ever think that the market is too small to pull 3 million tickets, and that is really unrealistic in a city of 2.2 million?!

There are 5 million in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida

Uh, you're using 3 counties!.

Miami-Dade county is 2.2 million

And still then my point is that Miami is bad basketball and hockey town too because they haven't been able to consistently sell tickets either.

But I think it's time to graveyard this thread, it's going nowhere.

Anyone who seperates Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach into three different areas clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. The area is one massive continous metropolitain area seperated only by lines on a map.

BTW, the 5M figure is Miami-Dade and Broward ALONE. Include Palm Beach in that area and the population is 5.4M.

1997 | 2003

Marlins Deadline Looming

The Florida Marlins have a week to decide whether to move to San Antonio, but the man behind the proposal said Monday, the deal is basically dead.

County Judge Nelson Wolff gave the baseball club a May 15th deadline in order to put a stadium proposal on the ballot for November.

But, Marlin officials are in the middle of negotiating a stadium deal in South Florida.

?I don't know that they'll be able to come to any decision within this short time frame,? Wolff said. ?We'll have to see what they say.?

Wolff said if San Antonio does not lure the Marlins here, going after the team will help the city in the long-run. He said the proposal shows San Antonio is serious about getting another pro sports team.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Does Texas really need another baseabll team?

I mean, really?

Sure. Why not? The two Major League, three pro football* and three NBA teams are all well-supported. I worry a little about the population of San Antonio having enough money to support a team for an 81-game schedule, but they should be given a shot. I can't imagine them doing any worse that the Devil Rays and Marlins in terms of support.

* I am counting the Longhorns as a pro team, in consideration of their payroll and the amount of money that Tom Hicks and Joe Jamail pump into the program.

Archived