Marlins Name Change

rebelx

What with the threat of the Marlins leaving Miami for San Antonio, I thought I'd ask what people think they'd change their name to. Can't see them keeping "Marlins", as SA is at least 2 hours away from the ocean, and I'm not sure that Marlins live in the Gulf anyway. SA Sidewinders, perhaps (if two snake-related teams can be tolerated). Also, something like the "Generals" might work, with a whole Mexican-American War theme. Any other ideas?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What with the threat of the Marlins leaving Miami for San Antonio, I thought I'd ask what people think they'd change their name to. Can't see them keeping "Marlins", as SA is at least 2 hours away from the ocean, and I'm not sure that Marlins live in the Gulf anyway. SA Sidewinders, perhaps (if two snake-related teams can be tolerated). Also, something like the "Generals" might work, with a whole Mexican-American War theme. Any other ideas?

Remember the little "Houston 1836" flap? Something tells me that calling the team the "Generals" would have a similar reaction. My advice would be that if they were to seek a new name, go with the San Antonio Missions (sure the ACLU would have a heart attack, but I like the name.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Portland is probably the last place the Marlins would want to go.

How about:

los Conquistadores de San Antonio

OR

the San Antonio We-Might-Have-Been-Contracted-By-Now-If-It-Wasn't-For-Those-Two-World-Series-Wins

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Portland is probably the last place the Marlins would want to go.

why?

Rain?

portland has less rainfall during the baseball season than most teams on the east coast.

Size?

One of the largest one-pro-team cities in the country

support?

rabid support (until this year*) for the blazers.

stadium?

a beautiful temporary park (PGE) and plans in place for a new downtown stadium

*and thats just because theyre all a bunch of a-holes

If a team were to move to San Antonio, I see no problem with using a military name, seeing as how there's a very large presence there. A name like "San Antonio Infantry" would do quite nicely. Then again, with the large hispanic population, as well as the cowboy tradition in Texas, they might use a name like "San Antonio Vaqueros."

VmWIn6B.png

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment? While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense. So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make?

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME? Well, maybe not... Indianapolis? Nashville? Memphis? Hartford? Columbus? Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My advice would be that if they were to seek a new name, go with the San Antonio Missions (sure the ACLU would have a heart attack, but I like the name.)

You mean like how the ACLU brings lawsuits against the Padres for having a religiously themed name? Oh, wait, that doesn't actually happen. San Antonio Missions is a fine name and would draw exactly zero protest from the ACLU.

Might be a few devout Catholics would oppose the cheap commercial use of their religious history, and maybe some pro-native activists would use the name announcement as an excuse to highlight the crimes committed against their ancestors by the folks who built the missions. But all of that would blow over pretty quickly, what with San Antonio Missions being such a traditional baseball name.

Other possibilities might be Alamos and Defenders. Vaqueros is a good concept, but probably not great in practice. Would the English version, Buckaroos, be accepted in San Antone? Some of the best music in the county is coming out of that part of Texas these days; would a country music reference raise local interest?

20082614447.png

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment? While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense. So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make?

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME? Well, maybe not... Indianapolis? Nashville? Memphis? Hartford? Columbus? Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

If they moved to SA, then you could put them in the Central and slide the Pirates back to the East where they really belong.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

San Antonio Generals works and witha  middle finger lifter toward Mexico it shoudl be a Genral Sam Houston on the logo.

You have GOT to be kidding.

How about Miami Marlins?

09qy.gif

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

San Antonio is the patron saint for finding lost articles, and for protection against starvation and shipwrecks. Just brainstorming here, I understand these aren't that good...

San Antonio Founders

San Antonio Locators

San Antonio Discovery

San Antonio Finders

San Antonio Guides

As crazy as it sounds, they wouldn't have to change the name at all if they moved to San Antonio - there is a Sea World there and Marlins could get some great promotional tie-ins.

Also, is Expos taken? San Antonio also hosted the World's Fair in '68.

I can't imagine San Antonio gets a team, they have the Spurs and that's really all they support.

San Antonio Generals works and witha  middle finger lifter toward Mexico it shoudl be a Genral Sam Houston on the logo.

You have GOT to be kidding.

How about Miami Marlins?

09qy.gif

If you build it they will stay.

But no the Panthers and Heat needed spearate Areans

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived