Most poorly designed logo in sports

brooksdiamond

What's wrong with the name Bobcats?

The owner's name is Robert Johnson, but he goes by Bob, and has for years. This was NOT a coincidence that he decided to call the team the Bobcats.

If the name of the team contains the name of the team owner then the team name sucks.

It's not a bad name, just a :censored:ty logo.

And let's not forget the immortal LOS ANGELES DONS of the All-America Football Conference, owned in part by one Don Ameche...

nav-logo.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Bolton fan but even I think that the new logo suck big time.

bolton.gif

New logo.

THe old one was not much better but at least it look like it had something to do with football and where the team came from ie the scarf and the red rose. The new one looks like a really bad party popper.

Old logo.

5102457_bolton_200.jpg

I stil think that the 1958 FA Cup final logo was the best even though still not great.

1412_m.jpg

Even older logo.

New to the forum, but I can't believe no one has mentioned this logo yet:

VAN_283.gif

It is absolutely Zen-like in its badness.

I think that's the best logo the Canucks ever had.

Does that mean they've always had bad logos, or that I think that's a good logo?

You tell me.

:D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I mean, that's one of my favorite logos of all time.Even if it looks extremely 70's-80's, it works. It's a recognazable image, it bizarrely combines 3 things into one, and it has somewhat unique colors.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

I get that it's a rink, a stick, and VC, but the stick is too obtuse to be a sufficient V, and the rink is too closed to be a sufficient C. I don't get why people think it's so brilliant. It seems like it kind of missed the mark. Gleaning the VC from that is kind of a reach unless you've been told it's a VC. And at the end of the day, it's almost TOO simplistic. It's a rink and a stick. There's nothing distinctly Canadian about it; there's nothing distinctly Vancouvrian about it. People bitch that the ball-in-glove could be used for, say, the Miami Beachers or the Madison Badgers, but a rink and a stick is the epitome of a generic hockey team logo.

The Canucks are the Padres of hockey: they've dicked around with a handful of wholly unrelated identities in a comparatively brief period of time, but have never been able to find one that really, really works. Granted, it's not an easy identity to work with, but they've had quite some time to get it right, and yet they've never had something that really represents Vancouver, or the idea of Canadian patriotism, or even the Pacific Northwest, in the form of a crest, color scheme, nameplate/number typeface, or ANYTHING.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Since we discussing REALLY BAD logos, let's take a look into the ECHL of the Arena leagues: the af2.

(This also lets me bash a lil on Pensacola's #1 rival across the bay--and state line: Mobile.)

I mean, the team won I think only 1 or 2 games in the only year they ever played (at least the Barracudas stuck around for two longer than that). Anyway, without further ado, the Mobile Wizards of the AF2 a couple years back:

MobileWizards3.gif

MobileWizards2.gif

And in finding that one, I also came across THIS beauty of a logo:

Hammerheads-LSharksBoostrs.gif

But...yet...and still...I mean...

ToledoStorm2.gif

Ok enough eyeball torture.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

TorontoRaptors5.GIF

I gotta disagree, Clay. That logo is pure genius. Very well done and creative as all hell.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My beef with the Bobcats logo?  It's BORING.

And all the teams whose logos are just a basketball with the team's name slapped on it aren't?

5. San Diego Padres (Swinging Friar is a wimp)

I'd actually like this to be the primary.

Not necessarily. Simplicity can be a powerful thing (look at the interlocking NY Yankees logo, the UNC of the Tarheels, etc etc).

Bobcats? Just a meh logo. There's nothing inspiring, nothing awe inspiring. Just another cookiecutter logo right down to the cutesy font.

Yeah, i'd say a simple basketball logo like the Lakers have coveys a heck of a lot more than the orange severed bobcat head.

But, we're in complete agreement about the Swingin' Friar. :D

New to the forum, but I can't believe no one has mentioned this logo yet:

VAN_283.gif

It is absolutely Zen-like in its badness.

I think that's the best logo the Canucks ever had.

Does that mean they've always had bad logos, or that I think that's a good logo?

You tell me.

:D

Yeah, that is the best Canucks logo, but to slightly alter the words of Mitch from Waiting

"Congratulations stick and rink logo, you're the best Canucks logo ever! That's like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome!"

*I appologize to anyone I may of offended, I ment no disrespect to those with downs syndrome. I just thought the original line from the movie Waiting was pretty funny, and IMO it worked here as well.

"Congratulations stick and rink logo, you're the best Canucks logo ever! That's like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome!"

The better line is, "prettiest Denny's waitress," what whatever floats your boat.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Simplicity can be a powerful thing (look at the interlocking NY Yankees logo, the UNC of the Tarheels, etc etc).

which interlocking NY Yankees logo?

new-york-yankees.jpg or yankees.gif

There is a difference. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

JOHNSONVILLE%20BRATS%20SMALL.jpg

The WURST logo of all time

Seriously though, no one else mentioned it, so I will. There is not ONE worst sports logo of all time, but many, and more will continue to come. What do I mean by that? Well, the worst sports logo of all time is for a team that features gratuitous use of the letters X and Z. Done and done.

Archived