Cincinnati Reds All-Star Uni discrepancy

TBGKon

On the Reds' website it shows a picture of the N.L. All Star team and in the picture both Arroyo and Narron are wearing black sleeves.

IMO it looks terrible. Like 1999-2002(i think)

The red at home looks much better

that pic must have been from yesterday, look ate Brandon Webb, he's got a yellow undershirt with his D-Backs jersey. I saw the red sleeves on the coach tonight and it looked pretty sweet, those black sleeves just plain suck.

The reds uniforms are a wierd story. When they first debuted in 1999 I think the original plan was that black was gonna be worn under the home uniforms along with the black hat at home, and red was going to be worn under the road jerseys with the red hat. For that season they wore black under both jerseys for pretty much the whole season. During the first few years of the uniforms that's how the merchandise all looked. The road jerseys had red sleeves and the home jerseys had black sleeves. My guess is that MLB still has the black undershirt listed as the reds home uniform and made Bronson wear it that way. Why Jerry Narron was able to wear a red undershirt while Arroyo wore a black one I don't know.

PvO6ZWJ.png

IIRC, there is no rule in the rulebook about managers wearing uniforms. It's why some managers can wear incomplete unis during games (like Boston's Terry Francona, seems to wear just the undershirt, or Toronto's Jay Gibbons only wearing a jacket, not a jersey).

If you combine that with what Mac2 said, about how the league might still have black undershirts listed as the official home uni of the Reds, they would have mandated that Arroyo had to wear the black, but since there is no rule to require managers/coaches to wear anything in particular, Narron was able to wear the de facto uni, with the red undersleeves.

That's just a guess, though. Pure unbridled speculation.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

IIRC, there is no rule in the rulebook about managers wearing uniforms. It's why some managers can wear incomplete unis during games (like Boston's Terry Francona, seems to wear just the undershirt, or Toronto's Jay Gibbons only wearing a jacket, not a jersey).

If you combine that with what Mac2 said, about how the league might still have black undershirts listed as the official home uni of the Reds, they would have mandated that Arroyo had to wear the black, but since there is no rule to require managers/coaches to wear anything in particular, Narron was able to wear the de facto uni, with the red undersleeves.

That's just a guess, though. Pure unbridled speculation.

That's true. But I also think players and managers have some leverage on what they wear for the All-Star game.

Another thing: There have been cases in past All-Star games where parts of the uniforms haven't arrived on time. We've seen cases where players have worn other teams' helmets, for example. So it's possible that this was, ahem, a uniform malfunction.

Toronto's Jay Gibbons

It's John Gibbons. B)

Homer "JAY" Simpson

right. sorry. let's call it "J. Gibbons" and call it even.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The reds uniforms are a wierd story. When they first debuted in 1999 I think the original plan was that black was gonna be worn under the home uniforms along with the black hat at home, and red was going to be worn under the road jerseys with the red hat. For that season they wore black under both jerseys for pretty much the whole season. During the first few years of the uniforms that's how the merchandise all looked. The road jerseys had red sleeves and the home jerseys had black sleeves. My guess is that MLB still has the black undershirt listed as the reds home uniform and made Bronson wear it that way. Why Jerry Narron was able to wear a red undershirt while Arroyo wore a black one I don't know.

mac, I'm gonna hafta disagree with you on this one. I still remember the day the 1999 uniforms were introduced and the photos came out in the Enquirer. The home and road sets were to be just as the team now wears them.

As the 1999 season played out, the Reds were winning most of their games on the road, but having problems winning at home. They earned the nickname "Big Road Machine" that season. For some reason they started wearing the black sleeves at home as well as on the road (but kept the red caps with black bill), and I'm guessing that the reason was silly superstition that led someone to believe that it must be the black undershirts that was helping them to win all those road games. At some point, the red undershirts were not seen again in the 1999 season, home or road.

The wearing of black undershirts both home and road continued into 2000, but they would occasionally wear the correct red undershirts for some home games. Sometime in the past few years, they got things back to the way they were supposed to be in the first place.

For some reason, Majestic has always made the replicas with black sleeves sewn into the home jersey and red sleeves sewn into the road jersey. It's obviously wrong, and I have never gotten an answer as to why they would do it incorrectly for all these years. It bugs the crap out of me, though.

I really wish the Reds had worn red undershirts and solid red caps both home and road all these years. Hopefully with the elimination of black next year, that will come to pass.

Archived