New leagues and their logos

A couple of new leagues have announced their startups over the past week. Here are links to the sites with their league logos. No individual teams have been announced yet for either.

www.americanrfl.com

www.allamericanfootballleague.com

The AAFL LOOKS promising, with the concept of universities sponsoring teams. However, looking promising and turning out the same are two different animals.

my big problem is how many universities are actually willing to let another team be a tenent of their stadium. My guess is that many of the large BCS schools would not be willing to share the facility with a minor pro team.

I dont see a problem with the universities willing to share their stadiums. The college season is in the fall, while the AAFL will play in the spring. The league also said that they will schedule games so that they would not interfere with campus activities.

Signature intentionally left blank

The teams will reportedly pay rent for use of the stadiums and allow the universities to keep money from parking and concessions. So it seems like a good deal for the schools but I'm not so sure how the league will make money.

REPORTEDLY is the operative word here.

Unless these guys got at least $100 million in financing, they're going to start bouncing checks. Early. They're writing commitment checks their capabilities can't cash to colleges.

nav-logo.png

Anyone else think its funny that the "World" Indoor Football League has a web site address that ends in ".us"?

Or that has such exotic locations for franchises as Augusta, Charleston, Daytona Beach, Osceola, and... Raleigh? Hey, wait a minute... the Rome Renegades and Raleigh Rebels have switched leagues?

nav-logo.png

The World Indoor Football League.

WIFL%20Medium.jpg

The Augusta Spartans, Daytona Beach Thunder, Huntington Heroes, Rome Renegades and Raliegh Rebels from the AIFL along with the Osceola Outlaws and Charleston Sandsharks from the NIFL form the league. More teams coming soon.

http://www.wifl.us/

Why can't we just get AFL3 and AFL4 started with all the crap knockoffs that are out there.

Does every city in the US NEED Arena Football?

Will they ever stop with this crap? A fool and their money do go separate ways, don't they?

For rugby, I'm sure we can expect more "fierce" logos and names. The Blast, the Xplosion, the Big Horns, the . . . ah never mind.

The AAFL has a ghost in hell's chance of surviving. Personally, I can't wait to see Akili Smith suit up for a team in State College, PA. The WLAF played in Columbus, OH, Raleigh-Durham at NC State, etc. and no one came to see those games. I'm sure we'll see more traditional team names though - a takeoff on where they play as an ode to the schools they are playing at. Penn State = Pennsylvania Mountain Lions, etc.

Then again, with the stock market being as carzy as it is, is this such a bad investment? Say, what's James Cramer think about this?

Guest darkpiranha

This is probably old news, but it's the first time I've ever seen the USA Rugby logo, and it looks more than a little like the Atlanta Thrashers logo.

By some chance did it predate the Thrashers?

usa_rugby_logo.jpghd1-atlantathrashers.jpg

This is probably old news, but it's the first time I've ever seen the USA Rugby logo, and it looks more than a little like the Atlanta Thrashers logo.

By some chance did it predate the Thrashers?

The Atlanta Thrashers unveiled their logo on April 23, 1998. It was designed by SME.

USA Rugby unveiled it's logo on February 14, 2004. It was designed by Transmutations.

Guest darkpiranha

The Atlanta Thrashers unveiled their logo on April 23, 1998. It was designed by SME.

USA Rugby unveiled it's logo on February 14, 2004. It was designed by Transmutations.

"designed" by Transmutations is being a bit generous to what they did with the logo.

They transumted the Thrashers logo into the Rugby logo.

But thanks.

I think the AAFL would work if they played in I-AA schools, for a couple of reasons. First 10,000 in a 80,000 seat stadium would look terrible on TV, but put them in a 25,000 seat stadium and it would look a lot better. Second do the Florida State, Penn State, and Notre Dames of the world need more money? Nope! But those I-AA schools like Towson, Hofstra, Lafayette, Portland State and many more, it would be a terrific addition to the revenue stream. They should stay clear of the I-A behemoths and focus on I-AA schools in metro areas.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

"designed" by Transmutations is being a bit generous to what they did with the logo.

They transumted the Thrashers logo into the Rugby logo.

But thanks.

I just learned a new verb: transmuted

"My girlfriend hates how I transmuted the living room into a Chicago Bears shrine"

proper usage?

:P

The WLAF played in Columbus, OH, Raleigh-Durham at NC State, etc. and no one came to see those games.

It wouldn't be because the Skyhawks/Glory had a lacklustre front office and completely sucked on the field, would it?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived