Iowa Hawkeyes football change

CubsFanBudMan

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but Iowa added a small wordmark under the collar this year. Still don't like it as much as the ones they used from 1996-98 or so, but I think its nice to put "IOWA" on there. At least now you know it's not a Steelers throwback.

Q0015.jpg

At least they didn't go as big as this:

Dayne_AP.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Arnt they getting different pant striping also? Like 2 different sized stripes down the side. A guy at the senior bowl had them I think.

I belive it was these.

251936.jpg

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Arnt they getting different pant striping also? Like 2 different sized stripes down the side. A guy at the senior bowl had them I think.

I belive it was these.

251936.jpg

I think these got mentioned in an earlier thread. Those pants are used for practice, and are leftovers from the infamous Apex One striped-shoulder uniform set.

And when I say "infamous," I mean "awesome."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Arnt they getting different pant striping also?  Like 2 different sized stripes down the side.  A guy at the senior bowl had them I think.

I belive it was these.

251936.jpg

I think these got mentioned in an earlier thread. Those pants are used for practice, and are leftovers from the infamous Apex One striped-shoulder uniform set.

FB_SB951_121.jpg

So the pants have held up for practices purposes for over a decade now? Kudos to whomever manufactured them! They've long outlasted the existence of Apex One!

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Arnt they getting different pant striping also?  Like 2 different sized stripes down the side.  A guy at the senior bowl had them I think.

I belive it was these.

251936.jpg

IowaApexJerseyshot.jpg

I'm not sure awesome should be used in a positive way with these, but they were certainly different.

Does Iowa use just any old pants for practice? Because that other guy in the practice photo is wearing newer pants.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Is it just me or does it seem players today appear to wear less padding. It's definately less bulky nowadays, but I'm wondering if it's just less padding altogether.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Is it just me or does it seem players today appear to wear less padding. It's definately less bulky nowadays, but I'm wondering if it's just less padding altogether.

I know they don't wear padding in the pants as big as it used to, some guys don't wear pads in their pants at all.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is it just me or does it seem players today appear to wear less padding.  It's definately less bulky nowadays, but I'm wondering if it's just less padding altogether.

I know they don't wear padding in the pants as big as it used to, some guys don't wear pads in their pants at all.

The smaller padding or lack thereof altogether is a very bad trend. The receivers who forego pads and wear their pants above the knee are the worst. Too many players these days look like they should be riding in the Tour de France instead of playing a college or pro football game.

The Hawks still use the old "Banana Peel" pants for practice (as well as pants from the past 5-10 years, thus the pictures of mis-matched pants from their practices.) I agree that the old unis with the "Iowa" wordmark in white above the numbers were their best set of unis, but after Kirk Ferentz took over he re-instated the "Steeler look" that was popular under former coach Hayden Fry. I think the small wordmark from this year's unis were to distinguish it from Steeler uniforms. I've been a Hawkey fan my entire life, but when I wear my jersey outside of Iowa, everyone thinks I'm a Steeler fan.

The Hawks still use the old "Banana Peel" pants for practice (as well as pants from the past 5-10 years, thus the pictures of mis-matched pants from their practices.) I agree that the old unis with the "Iowa" wordmark in white above the numbers were their best set of unis, but after Kirk Ferentz took over he re-instated the "Steeler look" that was popular under former coach Hayden Fry. I think the small wordmark from this year's unis were to distinguish it from Steeler uniforms. I've been a Hawkey fan my entire life, but when I wear my jersey outside of Iowa, everyone thinks I'm a Steeler fan.

That's why I like the previous set much better. It had elements of the Steelers design, but added the Iowa wordmark and the Tigerhawk on the sleeves. Being a Cowboys fan also, I couldn't bear to buy a jersey that could be mistaken as a Steelers jersey. And I couldn't buy the Apex version either, for obvious reasons... So the 1996-98 version it is, for me anyway.

Being a browns fan and a hawkeye fan there was no chance I would buy the steeler-like unis.

I was hoping this thread was that Iowa brought back the ANF on the helmet.

I know everyone has an opinion on the bannana peel tops, but to me they always seemed "nuevo-retro" The horizontal peels always remind me of the solid panels that were on football uniforms in the early 1900s/1920s. I always thought that is what inspired the jersey. . .

sometimes the stripes were on the shoulders as well (similar to the Iowa peels...)

oldplayer.gif

fade.gif

Archived