Joe Girardi May Really Get the Axe...

rmackman

This article was in today's South Florida Sun-Sentinel. It's interesting because this whole Loria/Girardi fight appears to be escalating. There's also an article on ESPN.com about the tenure of major college coaches called Great Expectations by Pat Forde. It just seems accross the board any manager/coach has a VERY short leash. Win, and win now...in fact you have one year to win or you're gone!

HYDE: Girardi on hot seat despite success

Loria isn't only official to clash with manager.

Published August 27, 2006

MIAMI GARDENS -- In these dog days of August, when teams roll over and play dead, the Baby Marlins won their sixth straight game Saturday night. They're now four games under .500. They've snuck to within four games of a playoff spot.

So are you ready to kiss Joe Girardi goodbye?

Punch your ballot now: Thumbs up; thumbs down; or don't bother me unless you're talking about someone important like the pitching coach.

It all sounds silly, considering how this season is going. That's because it is silly. Maybe cooler front-office heads will prevail. Probably winning soothes emotions if it keeps coming. And this front office always has a way of making right moves when push comes to winning.

But before stating the obvious about why it would be wrong to throw Girardi overboard, let's be clear on one truth: Owner Jeffrey Loria isn't the only person inside the Marlins front office who has had issues with Girardi.

Loria, in fact, might have to stand in line next time he wants to shout at him. Girardi's sin, according to two Marlins sources, isn't that he has been wrong. Everyone's wrong at times. But he has been loud, stubborn wrong.

Right from spring, there have been clashes over future-looking questions in a season in which the future is primary.

For instance, back in spring training, according to two Marlins sources, here's some changes Girardi pushed for: Miguel Cabrera from third to first base; Dan Uggla not at second base but in left field; Josh Willingham at catcher, not Miguel Olivo; Alfredo Amezaga might not have made the team; and young pitchers like Ricky Nolasco and Josh Johnson would have started in the minor leagues.

Whew.

Pick your own reason to worry what might have been.

So you can understand, as Girardi pushed against moves the front office spent a thorny off-season making, how a perfect-storm of problems was brewing. Loria's shouting match with Girardi was to some extent just the boiling point of that.

Ironically, it was Loria who demanded that Girardi be hired. That meant General Manager Larry Beinfest and Girardi had to hatch out their relationship on the run, and it has been "spotty at best," one source said.

Girardi wouldn't talk about this. Nor did Beinfest or Loria, who made his first comments Saturday since his shout-down with Girardi. You decide what Loria's answer means when asked about Girardi's future.

"We won't talk about next year until this year is over," he said.

The real stunner here is, as the Marlins keep surprising, two smart sides with winning backgrounds haven't made their relationship work. Can't someone speed-dial Dr. Phil?

That doesn't mean everyone's equal, of course. The manager's job shouldn't be overvalued. If you're listing the assets for this team, you'd say: 1. Beinfest and his scouting staff; 2. Miguel Cabrera; 3. Dontrelle Willis; 4. The young arms starting with Johnson; 5. Hanley Ramirez and Uggla ...

... and somewhere down below would be Girardi.

And the Marlins would be nuts to dump him.

Sure, managers are expendable. Every season proves that. Every best-manager-in-the-game who loses in his next city adds evidence. But there's a role to fill and Girardi is filling it well.

The Marlins are winning. Kids are developing. Players genuinely like playing for him. And he has kept the season properly pointed, such as his disciplining of pitcher Scott Olsen in his anger after a Cabrera error.

We won't even get into the potential public-relations disaster involved, except to foresee a headline: Manager of Year Candidate Fired.

Of course, this defense of Girardi really starts with this question: Raise your hand if you didn't make some fundamental mistakes your first year on a new job? Well? Anyone?

If you're smart enough to learn and lucky enough to have the right bosses, you stick around to succeed.

Meanwhile, at least for the night, the Marlins moved over Milwaukee in the wild-card standings. Girardi wasn't as important as Willis or Cabrera in the win. But he played his role, just as he'll keep doing for at least 34 more Marlins games.

Dave Hyde can be reached at dhyde@sun-sentinel.com.

24marlins.jpgloria_jeffrey_hor.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

If he got fired, the Cubs would probably hire him the second the news crossed the ESPN ticker.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Loria must hate winning, Girardi has worked miracles in Florida and this is the thanks he gets? They still have a shot at the Wild Card with a Minor League Team, and he may get fired I dont get it I dont get it all.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Loria must hate winning, Girardi has worked miracles in Florida and this is the thanks he gets? They still have a shot at the Wild Card with a Minor League Team, and he may get fired I dont get it I dont get it all.

Word. Girardi may just be the first manager in NL history to win the Manager of the Year award and get fired in the same season. :blink:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Word. Girardi may just be the first manager in NL history to win the Manager of the Year award and get fired in the same season. :blink:

Very true... the only question is whether he wins the award, because Loria's an incredibly stupid owner, so you can count on Girardi getting fired at the end of the season.

nav-logo.png

Very true... the only question is whether he wins the award, because Loria's an incredibly stupid owner, so you can count on Girardi getting fired at the end of the season.

I'm sure the tens of Expos fans in Montreal would agree with you....

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm sure the tens of Expos fans in Montreal would agree with you....

Yeah, unfortunately all the Expos fans lived elsewhere in Canada than Montreal... there were usually more Expos fans at the Interleague games in Toronto than there were for any game in Montreal.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Davey Johnson won it in 1997 and was basically fired the same year by Angelos (he actually resigned, but I could see the same thing happening with Girardi). I guess its no coincidence that baseball's two worst owners may do this.

After reading the above-posted article and hearing about this on ESPN over the weekend, I still don't understand the logic of getting rid of Joe Girardi. He's got that team playing better-than anticipated baseball, and this team can only get better if they stay together. There have been many cases where the owner(s) and the coach/manager may personally despise each other, but can put their egos aside for the sake of winning. The same topic came up on one of the local sports talk stations here in L.A. over the weekend, and someone made a pretty good point that I can agree...this reeks to the similar situation in the film Major League...playing in a stadium that's bad for baseball, an very unpopular owner, a bunch of good young players with a few veterans, and a team that everyone predicted to finish dead last in all of MLB.

this reeks to the similar situation in the film Major League...playing in a stadium that's bad for baseball, an very unpopular owner, a bunch of good young players with a few veterans, and a team that everyone predicted to finish dead last in all of MLB.

Except in this case, the sleazeball owner wants to move from Florida, not to it.

Where will the Jeffrey Loria magical mystery tour ruin professional baseball next?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived