Damon Allen Becomes Pro Football's Leading Passer

Breakwood

1) I am not a huge CFL fan or anything, but to call a league that has been around forever (way longer than the NFL) a minor league is just wrong. Especially when the CFL had the revenue back in the hay days to compete toe to toe with any football league for players. A minor league would imply that players are being groomed for the next league ahead which is just what the CFL is about.

2) I am a huge NFL fan (Go Bears!) but even I think they should change the name to the HOF in Canton to the NFL hall of fame. Yes the NFL took their tv contract and ran with it to the moon, but why call it the Pro Football hall of fame when there is blatant disregard for other Pro Leagues unless the players played in the NFL (as I noted above the CFL has been around far longer than the NFL). It is just showing arrogance, it's not like America invented the game, I don't think anyone on this continent can take credit since it is ultimately a variation of Rugby.

3) Congrats to damon eventhough I am not a huge CFL fan that dude deserves credit for lasting as long as he has in a game where he is the main object of a tackle (especially in a passing league like the CFL).

Actually, the CFL itself has only been around since the 1950's. I think you're confusing the longevity of the league with the Grey Cup, which has been around longer than the NFL. The Argos (and Tiger-Cats in some capacity) have been around even longer than that.

Yes, but that's like saying MLB has only been around since 2000.

Prior to 1956 it was two seperate leagues (much like AL and NL) with the winners of the two leagues meeting up to play in the Grey Cup (World Series).

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1) I am not a huge CFL fan or anything, but to call a league that has been around forever (way longer than the NFL) a minor league is just wrong. Especially when the CFL had the revenue back in the hay days to compete toe to toe with any football league for players. A minor league would imply that players are being groomed for the next league ahead which is just what the CFL is about.

2) I am a huge NFL fan (Go Bears!) but even I think they should change the name to the HOF in Canton to the NFL hall of fame. Yes the NFL took their tv contract and ran with it to the moon, but why call it the Pro Football hall of fame when there is blatant disregard for other Pro Leagues unless the players played in the NFL (as I noted above the CFL has been around far longer than the NFL). It is just showing arrogance, it's not like America invented the game, I don't think anyone on this continent can take credit since it is ultimately a variation of Rugby.

3) Congrats to damon eventhough I am not a huge CFL fan that dude deserves credit for lasting as long as he has in a game where he is the main object of a tackle (especially in a passing league like the CFL).

Actually, the CFL itself has only been around since the 1950's. I think you're confusing the longevity of the league with the Grey Cup, which has been around longer than the NFL. The Argos (and Tiger-Cats in some capacity) have been around even longer than that.

Yes, but that's like saying MLB has only been around since 2000.

Prior to 1956 it was two seperate leagues (much like AL and NL) with the winners of the two leagues meeting up to play in the Grey Cup (World Series).

Great analogy...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

An NFL HOFer having CFL stats mentioned is like a college graduate listing his fraternity on his resume. It gives a bigger picture of who the person is, but really is meaningless. Should Kurt Warner pad his NFL stats with his Arena stats? Hell no. Should Barry Bonds pad his HR total by 20 because of his time in the minors? Of course not.

Debate the name of the HOF based in Canton all you want. Damon Allen doesn't belong. Acknowledge the achievement for what it is in its proper context.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Perhaps--but why didn't Ricky Williams not run roughshod over CFL defences before getting injured--and why did he get injured?

Why did Vince Ferragamo stink up the place?

etc ,etc...

Different games--some adapt--some don't.

Flutie was perfectly suited for the CFL, and still did well in the NFL.

Moon shone in both leagues--but he had to go to Canada to get a shot at being a QB.

There are factors other than raw talent.

Playing style, opportunity, coaching style, era, and even skin colour have all factored into it---it's not a simple formula.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Perhaps--but why didn't Ricky Williams not run roughshod over CFL defences before getting injured--and why did he get injured?

I've posted this before, but Ricky has an inferior offensive line negating the advantage of going against a weaker defensive line. Additionally, running games develop with number of reps. The 4 down system is more condusive to rushing game success. In a 3 down system, it's a given the passing game would yield better numbers.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I've posted this before, but Ricky has an inferior offensive line negating the advantage of going against a weaker defensive line. Additionally, running games develop with number of reps. The 4 down system is more condusive to rushing game success. In a 3 down system, it's a given the passing game would yield better numbers.

That is true, but that doesn't explain why...

• the fewer reps don't seem to hurt a lot of other running backs in the league. Guys like Charles Roberts, Joffrey Reynolds, and even former NFLer Robert Edwards pull off 100-yard-games rather often.
  • John Avery ran behind the same offensive line for well over 100 yards a few games later.
  • an elite NFL RB like Williams wasn't outperforming the average CFL running back, which he should've been able to do regardless of circumstances.

I'm not saying the NFL isn't superior - it has the superior talent, size, and speed beyond a shadow of a doubt.

However, I am saying that the gap isn't as great as it may seem. So much depends on being put in a position to succeed, on getting off on the right foot in training camp, on taking advantage of the first and second opportunities.

Think about it... if Drew Bledsoe doesn't go down in 2001, does Tom Brady ever become the superstar he is today?

If Peyton Manning hadn't had Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James around him, but rather had Peerless Price and TJ Duckett for his first few years, is Peyton Manning the top QB in football?

If Cincinnati had had one more injury at wide receiver in 1993, would Milt Stegall ever have even seen a CFL field?

How many players could've been NFL lifers, if not stars, if just given the shot?

A lot of those players that didn't get a good shot, or didn't manage to take full advantage of their shot, go to the CFL. Are they necessarily inferior talents? In many cases they are, but that is by no means the across-the-board rule.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Yet other backs can get high yards?

Anyway that further proves my point that it's a different game.

So direct comparisons don't work.

There are NFL stars who would struggle in the CFL, and some lesser NFLers who would shine...

Again another example was Ferragamo who was given reps & a chance, and the wider/longer field with an extra DB foiled him.

Different game--requires some of the same skills, but also soem different ones...

If Damon is not aloud in because he didn't play in the NFL, then they should name it the NFL-HOF not PRO FOOTBALL-HOF!!!!

That's basically paraphrasing what everyone else said. Congrats.

I think he should get in. 70,000+ yards is 70,000+ yards, even if they were thrown in Greenland.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

If Damon is not aloud in because he didn't play in the NFL, then they should name it the NFL-HOF not PRO FOOTBALL-HOF!!!!

I think he should get in. 70,000+ yards is 70,000+ yards, even if they were thrown in Greenland.

So we should count stats for players who were paid to play for elite high schools and colleges through either cash or benefits?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Here's the thing and its been said a million times if its the pro-football hall of fame damon should be in there... give him a blazer, a plaque, and then boom thats all they need to do and thats it... but seriously moons cfl numbers put him over the top to get into Canton, so they shot themselves in the foot by doing that... if they would have ignored Moon's stint up north they could make a case but alas they didnt...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Exactly...part of the reason that Warren Moon was inducted was because of the ridiculous numbers he put up in the CFL. Were his NFL numbers good enough alone to qualify for consideration? Perhaps someone more enlightened than myself on this subject can answer that, because I really don't know. There are benchmarks in baseball that seem to automatically qualify players, but are there in football?

That being said, the HoF has every right to either include or not include whomever they see fit.

So we should count stats for players who were paid to play for elite high schools and colleges through either cash or benefits?

No because elite high schools and colleges are not pro football.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

No because elite high schools and colleges are not pro football.

...so if someone plays football in exchange for cash or benefits, they're not a professional? We are talking about the Professional Football Hall of Fame, aren't we?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived