Damon Allen Becomes Pro Football's Leading Passer

Breakwood

No, because Canadian football doesn't compare to American football. Sorry to say, but Damon Allen as the all-time leading passer in professional football is the same as considering Sadaharu Oh the true home run king of baseball. Sure, the numbers are there, but they don't mean as much becaue they happened outside of the US, the lower quality of play, and the differences between the games of the two countries (Japanese ballparks were smaller than American ballparks, and the CFL is a much more pass-happy league than the NFL).

QPR%20Sig.png

I think the question becomes; Is this the Pro Football Hall of Fame, of the NFL Hall of Fame?

If it is the former, then there should be places for accomplishments done in all of professional football regardless of the league: Allen's CFL pass stats, Herchel Walker's USFL rushing records,The World Bowl Trophy, ect. Just because it wasn't performed in the NFL does not take away from the athletic talent obvious needed to perform such tasks. To deny acknowledgement of such things would bring scrutiny to the Hall's current format and accusations of catering to only a limited elitist field.

However, if it is the latter, then something obvious should be added to both the entrance and the induction format which clearly states; "We only recognize accomplishments performed in the National Football League- all other feats performed in other leagues will find no home here." A bit of a snobish statement but at least it would be open and honest.

Regardless- I am personally impressed by Damon Allen's accomplishments, not only for passing for so many yards, but to be playing in professional football for so long without being crushed by both 20 years of linebackers and Father Time himself.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Congrats Damon.

For all the teams you've played for, you've never been a Bomber. However, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you. To be a 23-year veteran, with your style of play, and at your level - wow.

Regardless of what the Pro Football Hall of Fame says, you have put your name above all others, and you deserve every accolade that comes your way.

Also amazing to note? The man has almost 12,000 career rushing yards.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Canadian Football is a minor-league sport. Bottom Line.

Apologies to my canuck friends, but that is just the simple truth.

No, he does not belong in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Congrats to Allen for a great career that just keeps on going. Having said that, I don't think he belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The reality is that the Pro Football Hall of Fame recognises the achievements in NFL/American football. Why do you all think the gold jackets they recepients wear say NFL on them? There already is a Canadian Football Hall of Fame that where he should only go.

The best part about the ceremony was Tom Wright calling Brenda Irving, Barbara :D

I saw, I came, I left.

congrats to Damon Allen, lead the BC Lions to their last Grey Cup and beat the Lions in their last Cup appearance. Unfortunately he's not going to Canton just because he didn't get any of those 70,567 yards in the NFL. So we will most likely not see the Allen brothers in the Hall of Fame.

8prlQWA.png

My sentiments exactly...I echo your post word-for-word.

We're talking about the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL HoF. The CFL is a pro leauge, and hence accomplishments there should be just as valid as those accomplished in the NFL, AFL, USFL, AAFC, etc...in the eyes of the Pro Football HoF.

I disagree on the level of play statements-there are many key differences between the CFL & NFL-and that's why I wasn't worked up about it being the pro football record.

Heck he did thorw for over 70,000 yards and that in and of itself deserves mention and celebration.

He has the CFL record already and is adding to it.

That's what has happened.

What if an NFL QB was approaching 70,00--and spent some time in the CFL--would that be as biog a deal?

Do we count NFLE, WLAF, USFL, WFL etc?

Records across leagues are meaningless because the leagues are different.

Even records from different eras in the same league sometimes need qualifiaction...

So congrats to Allen for playing so long, and showing he cans till get the job done, and passing for so many yards...

Whatever the HOF in Canton wants to do is their business...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I disagree on the level of play statements-there are many key differences between the CFL & NFL-and that's why I wasn't worked up about it being the pro football record.

Exactly.

Why was Ricky Williams, a dominant player in the NFL, mediocre in the CFL?

Why was Casey Printers, dominant in the CFL, mediocre in the NFL?

Why was Warren Moon great in both?

The game is different. Nobody will dispute that generally, the better talent ends up where the money is, but there are a few talents that are uniquely able to capitalize on each game's idiosyncracies and make a living out of it.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

We're talking about the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL HoF. The CFL is a pro leauge, and hence accomplishments there should be just as valid as those accomplished in the NFL, AFL, USFL, AAFC, etc...in the eyes of the Pro Football HoF.

The CFL is a different animal.

For one, the field is 110 yards, not 100, and the end zones are a whole lot bigger than those in the NFL. All the other leagues you mentioned (aside from the AFL) played on a field that were the same size.

I'm all for allowing the accomplishments to be in Canton, but the players themselves.....no.

While I may not think Damon should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it is true what Icecap said.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player must have last played at least five seasons before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2007 class must have concluded his career not later than the 2001 season.

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, it is the 'Pro Football' Hall Of Fame. The CFL is still considered a pro league. Allen is all of pro football's pass leader. Therefore, he should get in. If he doesn't, then no international player should and they should consider renaming it the NFL Hall of Fame.

He should be in. Warren Moon's and Joe Theismann's Hall of Fame careers included their CFL stats, and Allen's should be no different.

Just because it happened in Canada doesn't mean it wasn't pro football.

I would think the Doug Flutie would get into the Hall of Fame as well, almost exclusively because of his accomplishments in the CFL.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

1) I am not a huge CFL fan or anything, but to call a league that has been around forever (way longer than the NFL) a minor league is just wrong. Especially when the CFL had the revenue back in the hay days to compete toe to toe with any football league for players. A minor league would imply that players are being groomed for the next league ahead which is just what the CFL is about.

2) I am a huge NFL fan (Go Bears!) but even I think they should change the name to the HOF in Canton to the NFL hall of fame. Yes the NFL took their tv contract and ran with it to the moon, but why call it the Pro Football hall of fame when there is blatant disregard for other Pro Leagues unless the players played in the NFL (as I noted above the CFL has been around far longer than the NFL). It is just showing arrogance, it's not like America invented the game, I don't think anyone on this continent can take credit since it is ultimately a variation of Rugby.

3) Congrats to damon eventhough I am not a huge CFL fan that dude deserves credit for lasting as long as he has in a game where he is the main object of a tackle (especially in a passing league like the CFL).

1) I am not a huge CFL fan or anything, but to call a league that has been around forever (way longer than the NFL) a minor league is just wrong. Especially when the CFL had the revenue back in the hay days to compete toe to toe with any football league for players. A minor league would imply that players are being groomed for the next league ahead which is just what the CFL is about.

2) I am a huge NFL fan (Go Bears!) but even I think they should change the name to the HOF in Canton to the NFL hall of fame. Yes the NFL took their tv contract and ran with it to the moon, but why call it the Pro Football hall of fame when there is blatant disregard for other Pro Leagues unless the players played in the NFL (as I noted above the CFL has been around far longer than the NFL). It is just showing arrogance, it's not like America invented the game, I don't think anyone on this continent can take credit since it is ultimately a variation of Rugby.

3) Congrats to damon eventhough I am not a huge CFL fan that dude deserves credit for lasting as long as he has in a game where he is the main object of a tackle (especially in a passing league like the CFL).

Actually, the CFL itself has only been around since the 1950's. I think you're confusing the longevity of the league with the Grey Cup, which has been around longer than the NFL. The Argos (and Tiger-Cats in some capacity) have been around even longer than that.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived