Jack Johnson traded to Kings

jkrdevil

From TSN the Hurricanes trade 2005 3rd overall pick Jack Johnson to Los Angeles for Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger. The kings also get Oleg Treverdovsky.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179262&hubname=

Wow, just wow. I thought Carolina would get more for Johnson. This is just a bad deal for them. I understand he didn't want to sign with the Hurricanes becasue he wanted to stay in school one more year but to trade him for what they got was dumb. This is a great deal for the Kings.

Tverdovsky's recent playoff "experience" consists of watching the games from the pressbox. Kings aren't making the playoffs anyway.

What a trade by LA though. I think every GM in the league would have given up a similiar package to get JJ.

this doesn't make any sense really. Rutherford wanted d-men and said before he'd be willling to trade Johnson but to have Tverdosky, a d-man in the deal? Rutherford gave up 2 d-men for 1 and Belanger a Forward. It seems Carolina made no ground at all.

8prlQWA.png

The trade board has ruled.  This trade is an unfair deal, thus...

trade rejected!

This deal really makes no sense to me, they trade a future franchise player assuming he is i know very little about JJ for a pile of pucks and playoff experience. SOmething they could have signed in the offseason. They could have gotten way more from him unless he is overrated and thats all they coudl get for him. :therock:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I heard that Carolina was upset over Johnson continuing to play NCAA hockey when they thought he'd be with them this year and beyond. The injury to Frank Kaberle (out a few months) put them in dire need of a defenseman (Gleason).

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I heard that Carolina was upset over Johnson continuing to play NCAA hockey when they thought he'd be with them this year and beyond.  The injury to Frank Kabere (out a few months) put them in dire need of a defenseman (Gleason).

If they were ticked he wanted to go to school, they should have done their homework before drafting him - it was no secret he wanted to play for the Gophers... I remember posting a story from The Hockey News when he declined the Canes offer that stated it was "his dream" to play NCAA puck. If the Canes are going around now upset he turned down their offer, that's poor scouting on their part. Draft a kid you know you can sign...

Moose

I heard that Carolina was upset over Johnson continuing to play NCAA hockey when they thought he'd be with them this year and beyond.  The injury to Frank Kabere (out a few months) put them in dire need of a defenseman (Gleason).

If they were ticked he wanted to go to school, they should have done their homework before drafting him - it was no secret he wanted to play for the Gophers... I remember posting a story from The Hockey News when he declined the Canes offer that stated it was "his dream" to play NCAA puck. If the Canes are going around now upset he turned down their offer, that's poor scouting on their part. Draft a kid you know you can sign...

Moose

Johnson plays for Michigan, not Minnesota

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Moose

Johnson plays for Michigan, not Minnesota

Sorry, brain fart on my part... Hey, it's too early for this crap :P I still stand by my statement that you got to know what you're drafting. Don't draft a guy you're not prepared to wait for a few years. He wants to play NCAA, then let him. It's not like he's a Senior, and could opt out of his draft position after this season...

Moose

The L.A. Kings and Jack Johnson -> Better Together

:D There's always gotta be a Jack Johnson joke...

From what I've seen of Gleason, he's a good d-man and will fit in the top 4 in Carolina, Belanger is a good replacement for Matt Cullen so this looks more like a short-term move by Carolina and a long-term move by LA. Who got the better deal? LA, but Carolina has got to be happy they got a 2.5 million dollar salary (Tverdovsky) off their cap.

From what I've seen of Gleason, he's a good d-man and will fit in the top 4 in Carolina, Belanger is a good replacement for Matt Cullen so this looks more like a short-term move by Carolina and a long-term move by LA. Who got the better deal? LA, but Carolina has got to be happy they got a 2.5 million dollar salary (Tverdovsky) off their cap.

Re: Tim Gleason

Think of him this way. He was the Senators' other first round draft pick when they picked up Jason Spezza. Considering how the Senators tend to be mind-numbingly loaded on the Blueline with prospects year after year, then why did they ship him off after him playing a season with the Baby Sens?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Re: Tim Gleason

Think of him this way. He was the Senators' other first round draft pick when they picked up Jason Spezza. Considering how the Senators tend to be mind-numbingly loaded on the Blueline with prospects year after year, then why did they ship him off after him playing a season with the Baby Sens?

The Sens trade of Gleason to the Kings for Smolinski shouldn't be viewed as a dump by Ottawa. It was simply the price to be paid for a veteran centre, which they wanted for the playoffs. As you mentioned, Fred, Ottawa's depth on the blueline made moving a good prospective defenseman like Gleason relatively painless.

Though I haven't seen him play, my understanding is that Gleason is a strong skater with offensive potential. He may not have as much upside as Johnson, but he does have the advantage of being able to step into Carolina's lineup immediately as a top-4 defenseman.

The Sens trade of Gleason to the Kings for Smolinski shouldn't be viewed as a dump by Ottawa. It was simply the price to be paid for a veteran centre, which they wanted for the playoffs. As you mentioned, Fred, Ottawa's depth on the blueline made moving a good prospective defenseman like Gleason relatively painless.

Though I haven't seen him play, my understanding is that Gleason is a strong skater with offensive potential. He may not have as much upside as Johnson, but he does have the advantage of being able to step into Carolina's lineup immediately as a top-4 defenseman.

Fair enough, but I've been a little disappointed with him. Scouts have been saying the same thing about him you state since he was with the Spitfires. I know I shouldn't expect him to be the next Scott Niedermayer or Wade Redden, but perhaps he'll make me eat crow and break out with the 'Canes.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived