That butt ugly powder blue

zer0dotcom

This kinda stemmed from a thought I was having today. I saw another picture of teh Thrasher's third on TV today and was thinking of how ugly that blue looked. Then I threw my NOrdiques jersey on to run to the mall ans realized how simpilar the blues are. (brains flip-flopped for a few minutes thinking about how hypocritical and ironic it would be to enjoy the same colour I despize)

Are they the same blue?!, and what is it about that powder blue that some of us find so repulsive?

Here's a comparison (using the colors they use in print):

ATLANTA THRASHERS THRASHER ICE BLUE

The Anaheim Angels used to use this color - they called it "Periwinkle".

QUEBEC NORDIQUES BLUE

As another comparison, let's also compare the "Columbia Blue" color used by the Tennessee Titans and now, the Denver Nuggets:

DENVER NUGGETS LIGHT BLUE

While perhaps technically accurate, I own a thrashers 3rd jersey, and the blue you show here is much more purple-y than the actual jersey, see? (holding sleeve up to screen)

I dig the light blue. I like it on the Nuggets, the Titans, NC, and yes, even on the thrashers.

I'm not entirely sure why people seem to despise it, either.

Anyone?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

:D

I see...I see...

:laugh:

Actually, this all goes along with what I've said ad nauseum in the past.  The colors used in print are often times WAY different than what colors are used in the fabrics.

Makes me nuts, but that's life.

I think it's all dependant what colors are used around it. For instance, the Titans use the navy blue to create contrast with their light blue, so it pops well, and Quebec used a lot of white with theirs, so it seemed really clean. I think my problem with the Thrashers third jersey color scheme is how the logo sits on the blue. The logo is full of earthy, organic colors, but it's backed by that light blue that doesn't fit that description at all. I guess some might call it juxtoposition, but to me it seams like a lack of cohesion. All in all, I think a warmer primary color would have been better suited to that logo.

Although, it'd take more than a color change to solve the problems of that atrocity.

I have not agreed with, or frankly even understood the Thrasher's third jersey hatred. I like the damn thing, and wonder why some people despise it so.

But, I see your point. The browns of the primary logo do look odd when on the light blue. I agree with that.

I was disapointed when I saw the jersey that they had chosen to use the "bird-in-a-cereal-bowl" logo instead of the secondary, or what *I* thought would have made a great choice, the Alternate logo (the arrow shaped bird head)

This got me to thinking. Would the whole jersey come off better with a different logo?

Thusly...

thrash3rd_T.jpg

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Paynomind thats even worse, that is a but ugly logo the Thrashers should get rid of it all together.

The problem for me is teh jersey is uneven with the stripping and Atlanta on just one side.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I always thought that the hatred for powder blue came from the pajama outfits that most baseball teams wore on the road from the mid 70s through the mid 80s.  It's just a dis-like of a particular part of the past.

Tying that together with the strong feelings that exist toward many things "retro", and powder blue is on many people's hit list.

It's where I sit.

It is very true the way that we see the blue is influenced heavily by the colours around it. When i was making my IHl uniforms, i didn't deviate form the yellow, blue and red I used in the logo, but noticed that the blue looks much darker (almost violet) when surrounded by red.

Avenger's mention of the Titans two blues scheme should have been a point picked up by the Thrashers, had they placed more of their dark blue (apologizes pantone for the generalization) it could have created more harmony within the uniform and made the blue look more in place

I took a mintue and checked out some better vids of the uniform. after a long period of observation, that ice blue didn't look so bad on the screen, it's the design around it. it must be that 'it looks different in action than on a screen' thing. if the shoulders where at least symetrical I might have liked this uni

As stated by everyone else, the main reason I think the Thrashers jerseys suck is because they look uneven and unfinished. If they would have made both sleeves the same it'd at least look good, but then you'd have that ATLANTA thing on the sleeves getting in the way of numbers.

Also, next season, when the fifth season is over, what are they going to be doing with empty the shoulder?

Two things I hate in a jersey are unevenness (assymmetry) and blank sleeves. This is guilty of one, and just barely escapes the guilty verdict of the other.

Pittsburgh's weird gray and gold gradient road jersey from a few years ago looks perfect compared to this.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Powder blues aren't so bad, but it depends how they are used.

The Nordiques, IMO, always had a somewhat darker blue uniform, like Ranger blue, and not baby blue.  Only in certain photographs does it look like baby blue.

The Titans look good because they have that dark blue to contrast it.

The Chargers throwbacks suck because they have nothing to contrast with.  That and the colors are not the least bit intimidating to go along with the name Chargers.

The Nuggets mostly work, but only because Nuggets is about as passive a name as you can get so passive colors work.  Plus anything is better than everything they've had, plus the don't look as pale as the chargers.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I like the jersey even more with that logo on it.... It's not an uneven jersey. It is very well designed... It has two arm stripes, one just happens to be the same color as the jersey, and one is navy with "ATLANTA" down the side.

:;):

It's different, but isn't a third jersey supposed to be different?

I'm glad the Thrashers did an actual "3rd Jersey" instead of using the 3rd jersey program to market-test potential new permanent jerseys...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived