Clearwater phillies become clearwater threshers

TruColor

I'm not much for baseball, but I do think in the minor leagues, the more outrageous or specific the nickname the better. An I like the website too BTW. Anyone catch baseball in the bottle in the lower right corner? Brilliant.

Ben

Hey if you like the page bouncing around on your screen from section to section, then I can't argue with you   :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think a team that has been with an MLB affiliate for a while and has tradition (ie, Tampa Yankees) should keep the affiliated names, but then again most teams are chaning affiliates often now.  Hadn't Clearwater been with the Phillies for a while?

But given a team with a new affiliate or new location, I would prefer that team to have an identity of its own.  Unique, yet classic names.  Most people have heard of the Toledo Mud Hens, but how many instantly think Tigers?  Most people in Toledo proably aren't even Tigers fans, more likely Indians or Reds, anyways.  There are some situtations that lend themselves to being closely tied to their MLB team, like the Tacoma Rainiers being so close to Seattle that they use the M's colors.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I love minor league baseball. Cheap tickets, easily accessible foul balls (and lots of them!), the players (for the most part) aren't stuck-up (yet), they seem to almost throw autographs at you (must be a power trip- "Somebody wanted my autograph! Oh yeah!"), crazy promotions, unique color schemes and team names, some really cool/clever/unique logos, and no matter where you live there's some sort of team nearby...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I love this identity.  The name is great (it makes sense).  The logo is fantastic.  Definitley one of my favorite minor league logos.

As far as keeping the parent teams identity jp brought up the Portland Sea Dogs.  They changed the color of the logo and I think it looks terrible.  I am definitley a fan of a minor league club having their own identity.  The only reason I like the idea of keeping the parent name would be for experimentation.  Seeing what the parent club could look like without actually making the parent club wear them.  The Pawtucket Red Sox have some interesting looking alternates and a somewhat modified identity package (the bear thing boggles my mind though, stupidest idea ever).

Yes, the shark is moving away from you, but since it's a thresher shark (with a deadly tail), you've just walked into Mr. Shark's trap. Another reason why this change is :censored:ing brilliant. I LOVE this change (and I love the Phil's uniforms). This is one of the cleverest identities I've seen in a while.

Perhaps the best part is that it's not some obnoxious cute cartoon logo, like a frog grabbing a baseball with its tongue, an anthropomorphic lugnut or a schwa alien-head with baseball stitches in it. There are wayyyy too many of those in the minors--that's really the only drawback of minor-league team identities. Minor-league teams do best when they have a respectable name that reflects the regional identity (Memphis Chicks, Toledo Mud Hens, SA Missions, Inland Empire 66ers, Tacoma Rainiers, etc.)

i LOVE that bottle logo! But for some reason i hear that 80's HIT "Message in a bottle". :D

bottleimage.gif

Sending out an S.O.S.........

Check that - it was 1978, but that's okay; it held forth into the 80's.  The album on which that song appeared - Outlando's d'Amour - is a classic.  

But we're talking about the Clearwater Threshers here, now aren't we?

It's a clever logo, and with some education about the thresher shark's modus operandi, it makes sense.  Perhaps the locals will "get it" more readily than a midwestern landlubber such as I.  That definition is a real hoot - a "cosmopolitan shark."  Does that mean it swims around in pink girlie drinks?

And as for Chris's website criticism, perhaps this could be a business opportunity for you, or at worst, perhaps a great idea for a project for your web design class!

This is my first post after a long lurkage!  Great board!

The Blue Jays used to give their minor league teams Blue Jay colors with distinct names, and the names would be written in that beautiful classic Blue Jay script -- the one that they so unwisely ditched after 1996.

Syracuse Chiefs

8e_1.JPG

Hagerstown Suns

photo7.jpg

(Harry Muir)

Syracuse even had a very nice Blue Jay-style cap logo:

SyracuseChiefs96.GIF

If I may give my opinion on the issue of a minor league team having its own separate name vs. carrying the organization's nickname:  I, as a fan of the of the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League, would actually make the argument that to give affilliated teams separate nicknames is to conduct a bit of a scam, since these teams' destinies are completely controlled by the parent organization.  I will definitely admit to looking down a bit on the affilliated minors, especially in the lower classifications.

Here in New York, I frequently have this discussion with fans of the affilliated Brooklyn Cyclones.  I remind them that, with the Bears, the job of the manager (Bill Madlock, by the way) and the GM is to assemble the best players and to win for the Bears; whereas the "GM" of an affiliated team has no player-personnel duties, and the top priority of the team isn't to win, anyway.

I also tell them that the Bears have had several players who played with us for multiple seasons and who have given the team some identity and continuity; whereas there will *never* be such a player for the Cyclones -- at that level (short-season A NYP League), a player generally either gets promoted or gets cut.

I honestly don't see how a fan can emotionally bond with a team when the roster turns over nearly 100% each year, and when the team's top priority is not winning, but "player development" for the parent organization.  (Of course, we must remember that the Cyclones and their in-league rivals the Staten Island Yankees have the advantages of playing in the same city as their parent clubs and of being owned outright, so that their fans are inherently Met fans and Yankee fans, respectively -- a set of circumstances which is unique to them among minor-league teams.)

The whole "farm system" concept may well be good economics for the Major League organizations, but I see it as basically a ripoff to fans in the towns in which the minor league teams play.  I really think that the interests of fans in any small market would be better served by having a team of their own in a good independent league than by having an affilliated team.  This is especially true at low classifications; at Class AAA, the difference can be a little less, since an organization will sometimes sign for its AAA team some veterans whom they have no intention of promoting, sometimes for many seasons (Razor Shines - Indianapolis, for example).  But, this just masks the fundamental flaw:  that a AAA team, like its lower-classification brethren, has no actual identity of its own, and exists only to serve the needs of the organization.

Ferdinand Cesarano

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Hey if you like the page bouncing around on your screen from section to section, then I can't argue with you :)

Chris, I agree the transitions are jerky, but the colors and the details are great -- the header with an underwater feel, the bite taken out of the upper left corner, the baseball in a bottle, the rope lining the left side. They almost make up for the technical shortfalls.

Ben

I love this identity. The name is great (it makes sense). The logo is fantastic. Definitley one of my favorite minor league logos.

As far as keeping the parent teams identity jp brought up the Portland Sea Dogs. They changed the color of the logo and I think it looks terrible. I am definitley a fan of a minor league club having their own identity. The only reason I like the idea of keeping the parent name would be for experimentation. Seeing what the parent club could look like without actually making the parent club wear them. The Pawtucket Red Sox have some interesting looking alternates and a somewhat modified identity package (the bear thing boggles my mind though, stupidest idea ever).

I agree with you on the Sea Dogs, and disagree on the Paw Sox bear...just because I like him!

Please don't ask me why, but I'm a sucker for anthropomorphic animal mascots for the minor leagues!

Anybody know where I can get an old style Sea Dogs game hat? I lost mine a couple of years ago, and would love to have a new one!

Clearwater has done a nice job with the logo. I couldn't get any pix up on their site, though. Any idea what the uniforms are going to look like?

Hey if you like the page bouncing around on your screen from section to section, then I can't argue with you   :)

Chris, I agree the transitions are jerky, but the colors and the details are great -- the header with an underwater feel, the bite taken out of the upper left corner, the baseball in a bottle, the rope lining the left side. They almost make up for the technical shortfalls.  

Ben

Nothing ever makes up for technical shortfalls!!   :D    (they brainwashed me at college)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived