Clearwater phillies become clearwater threshers

TruColor

That's not stupid at all - I DO care!...Clearwater's cool, and supporting minor leagues is VERY cool...

On a related note, what's everyone's opinion on minor league nicknames? Do you prefer that the farm team adopt the nickname of the parent club, or should they have their own unique name? Personally, I prefer the unique name approach - it alleviates the need to change identities every time the affiliation changes. And, they seem to change about as often as some people change underwear (!)...

I think that they should have different names, I mean u cant beat the Omaha Golden Spikes or the Wilmington Blue Rocks, I think that only the rookie leagues should have the same name as their big league club (ex The Gulf Coast Braves)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I think that they should have different names, I mean u cant beat the Omaha Golden Spikes or the Wilmington Blue Rocks, I think that only the rookie leagues should have the same name as their big league club (ex The Gulf Coast Braves)

Of course, the Golden Spikes changed their name back to "Royals" a couple of seasons ago...

Yes a thresher is a type of shark.  They are so called cause they have preposterously long tails (as long as the rest of their bodies) which they use to "thresh" or strike fish  to stun them.

They can get pretty big and fairly dangerous.  I'd like to see the tail on the logo even longer and not spitting out a baseball, but its a cool name.

Pantone, I am all about the unique, even silly, minor league names.  Thats what its all about.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thresher (according to Merriam-Webster):

Main Entry: thresher shark

Function: noun

Date: 1888

: a large nearly cosmopolitan shark (Alopias vulpinus) having a greatly elongated curved upper lobe of its tail with which it is said to thresh the water to round up the fish on which it feeds -- see SHARK illustration

That's not stupid at all - I DO care!...Clearwater's cool, and supporting minor leagues is VERY cool...

I don't support, nor follow, minor league anything.  I'm just saying that if I were to choose a favorite team, the Phillies (I mean Threshers) would be them. But you're right, Clearwater is very cool. They should have a pro team of some sort.

IMHO, one of the practical reasons for going with a unique name is that it means a minor-league team doesn't have to change identities every time they (potentially) switch affiliations.

The same thing holds true for team colors. I understand the reasoning of those who believe minor-league teams should at least have the same colors as their parent clubs. However, what happens if that team's affiliation should change? They'd have to change colors? I mean, regardless of whether you're asking a farm team to change its name/logo or its colors, you're still asking them to change everything from uniforms to stationery. That can be cost-prohibitive in an era when parent clubs are picking up less and less of the costs of operating their farm teams.

Bottom line: Unless they are outright owned by a parent club willing to foot the bill for uniforms, etc., minor-league clubs should be able to determine their own identities and color palettes.

Brian in Boston

they changed it from the golden spikes, well it was a good example neways!  :D

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I don't mind seeing unique names, but a colour/logo/uniform scheme that pays homage to the parent clubs, I always like that.

I agree with Chris for the most part. I like minor league teams with the same name as the parent club, but changing the logo or mascot to keep it unique. Look at the Pawtucket Red Sox. The mascot is (I think) a bear. The team always goes by the name "PawSox". And their hats have a "P" grabbed by two paws.

The Lowell Spinners and Portland Sea Dogs use the Red Sox color scheme of red and navy, as they are Red Sox affiliates. The Sea Dogs were teal and black when they were the MArlins farm club, but when Boston took over, they only changed the colors the red and navy.

It's different with hockey though, unless them team is named the same as the parent... Boston/Providence Bruins, Anaheim/Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. I think in the AHL teams can have their own identities but have a little recognition of their heritage. The Lowell Lock Monsters have been purple, red and black for all 5 years of existense. They were originally a farm of the N.Y. Islanders (blue & orange) then the L.A. Kings (purple,  black & silver) and now Carolina. When the 'Canes took over, Lowell changed the uniforms to mimic the NHL team, but kept in the purple to tie in with the logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived