Arizona Fall League caps

Gothamite

Got my email newsletter from the Brewers today, complete with ad for the Arizona Fall League baseball caps. Glad to see that the MLB online shop is diversifying.

Haven't seen these posted:

Mesa Solar Sox

pMLB2-1762629dt.jpg

Peoria Saguaros (my personal favorite)

pMLB2-1762633dt.jpg

Peoria Javelinas

pMLB2-1762657dt.jpg

Phoenix Desert Dogs

pMLB2-1762641dt.jpg

Grand Canyon Rafters

pMLB2-1762650dt.jpg

I'm not wild about the overlapping color schemes, though....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The backs of the caps, interestingly enough, have no logo.

I have 2 Scottsdale Scorpions hats, a Grand Canyon Rafters hat, and a Peoria Saguaros hat.

I am the PA announcer for the Scottsdale Scorpions, and the Rafters used to play in the same ballpark so I did their games until last year also.

When the Peoria Saguaros played in Maryvale Ballpark (Spring home of the Brewers) I worked for them in 2000-2001 so I have one of their hats too.

The Rafters hat is navy blue by the way.

Prior to this season the hats had flat embroidery and grey under the bills.

This year they changed to raised embroidery and black under the bill (That's why I got a new Scorpions hat...since I didn't have to pay for it).

By the way, the Scorpions weren't in Tucson. That was the Tucson Javelinas.

And about the Desert Dogs...they were originally the Chandler Diamondbacks, but when the AZ Diamondbacks were unveiled they had to change their name. They wanted to use "Coyotes" but the Winnepeg Jets came to Phx and took that one...so the name Desert Dogs was kind of by default.

I also have a Chandler Diamondback hat, but it's adjustable.

It's black with an orange rattlesnake curled up.

Why don't the Scottsdale Scorpions have a cap in the shop?

Following up ZoDogg's very good post, I went to a bunch of AFL games last week. The caps are the only common team-denominator among the players. Otherwise, they wear the home whites and gray roads of their parent teams. The Arizona Fall League is a no-alt zone!

Why don't the Scottsdale Scorpions have a cap in the shop?

Following up ZoDogg's very good post, I went to a bunch of AFL games last week. The caps are the only common team-denominator among the players. Otherwise, they wear the home whites and gray roads of their parent teams. The Arizona Fall League is a no-alt zone!

The league is definately a no-alt zone. The league president, Steve Cobb, HATES alternate jerseys.

Once, in either 2000 or 2001, I believe, I did a game where the Maryvale Saguaros all wore their BP tops for the game because they wanted to wear something other than their home whites.

This apparently broke a league rule of no alternates, so the team was fined.

The only other time I remember someone wearing a colored jersey was when a team got a new pitcher from the Brewers during the season and they didn't have time to get his name stitched on the back of the jersey, so they got him a BP top from the Brewers' minor league clubhouse at Maryvale without a name stitched on the back. He came into the game wearing #93 and he wasn't on the roster so I couldn't even announce his name.

Archived