Penguins Get Arena Deal Done

Ez Street

Technically, it's on the island, but "Long Island" as a distinct region of Greater New York is just Nassau and Suffolk. I think they can get another three years out of the NVMC, by the way.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the non traditional markets vs traditional markets, it's not black and white. Expansion has generally beneficial for the NHL. There's no way the NHL could exist today with only six teams. Of the '67 expansion teams, only one failed, that being the Oakland/California/Cleveland Seals/Golden Seals/Barons. As ICS pointed out (in possibly an other thread) that franchise was re-activated as the San Jose Sharks (personally I would love to see the Sharks honour that part of their history).....

Hold on... I have in my database of my project that the San Jose Sharks were an expansion team and there was no mention of the revivial of that franchise from Cleveland via California... I am not really sure ya can connect the Sharks to the Seals/Barons franchise at all, only separate that... so any solid proof to give to show that the Sharks indeed are connected to that other franchise??

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

The Gunds owned the Barons, then merged with the North Stars. They then split from the North Stars' ownership group and started an "expansion" team in San Jose (they originally wanted to move the North Stars to the Bay Area anyway, but since they couldn't, they split apart.) As part of the deal, the North Stars were allowed to participate in the "expansion" draft along with the Sharks, since the Sharks were spawned from the Stars. I'm not sure if the Sharks took any of the North Stars players with them.

From an ownership / management standpoint, the Sharks certainly are the Cleveland franchise. From an actual franchise standpoint, I believe the NHL "officially" considers them an expansion team. Since there had to be all kinds of deals made with the remaining piece of North Stars management, and they participated in the expansion draft, there's no way that the Sharks can not be considered a typical expansion team.

Do some quick searching... you'll have no problems finding proof.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure if the Sharks took any of the North Stars players with them.

They did...

1. Shane Churla (RW)

2. Brian Hayward (G)

3. Neil Wilkinson (D)

4. Rob Zettler (D)

5. Ed Courtenay (RW)

6. Kevin Evans (LW)

7. Link Gaetz (D)

8. Dan Keczmer (D)

9. Dean Kolstad (D)

10. Peter Lappin (RW)

11. Pat MacLeod (D)

12. Mike McHugh (LW)

13. Jarmo Myllys (G)

14. Jean-Francois Quintin (LW)

15. Scott Cashman (G)

16. Murray Garbutt ©

17. Rob Gaudreau (RW)

18. Arturs Irbe (G)

19. Shaun Kane (D)

20. Larry Olimb (D)

21. Tom Pederson (D)

22. Bryan Schoen (G)

23. John Weisbrod ©

24. Doug Zmolek (D)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Since black and gold are Pittsburgh colors, I agree that the team colors, logo and history should remain in Pittsburgh when the Penguins eventually relocate to Kansas City.

As far as a new name for what could be the former Pittsburgh Penguins, I am thinking the Kansas City Renegades (picture a renegade cowboy on ice skates with a six shooter in one hand and a hockey stick in the other pursuing a hockey puck ahead of him). :D

LEONARD WEIRICH

FAN OF THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS SINCE 2005

LOVE THOSE NATS!!!

Since black and gold are Pittsburgh colors, I agree that the team colors, logo and history should remain in Pittsburgh when the Penguins eventually relocate to Kansas City.

As far as a new name for what could be the former Pittsburgh Penguins, I am thinking the Kansas City Renegades (picture a renegade cowboy on ice skates with a six shooter in one hand and a hockey stick in the other pursuing a hockey puck ahead of him). :D

Well, that is all moot. The Penguins are happily staying in Pittsburgh where they belong.

Cleveland Plan = teh suck. Saving records in the hope that one day another team might show up = teh great suck.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not sure if the Sharks took any of the North Stars players with them.

They did...

1. Shane Churla (RW)

2. Brian Hayward (G)

3. Neil Wilkinson (D)

4. Rob Zettler (D)

5. Ed Courtenay (RW)

6. Kevin Evans (LW)

7. Link Gaetz (D)

8. Dan Keczmer (D)

9. Dean Kolstad (D)

10. Peter Lappin (RW)

11. Pat MacLeod (D)

12. Mike McHugh (LW)

13. Jarmo Myllys (G)

14. Jean-Francois Quintin (LW)

15. Scott Cashman (G)

16. Murray Garbutt ©

17. Rob Gaudreau (RW)

18. Arturs Irbe (G)

19. Shaun Kane (D)

20. Larry Olimb (D)

21. Tom Pederson (D)

22. Bryan Schoen (G)

23. John Weisbrod ©

24. Doug Zmolek (D)

OK, I guess they took a few players :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Cleveland Plan = teh suck. Saving records in the hope that one day another team might show up = teh great suck.

Exactly. The Cleveland Plan was one of the worst ideas to hit pro sports.

If the Penguins move, they should simply rename themselves the "Kansas City Penguins." Vegas gold, as the Penguins use now, is not a traditional Pittsburgh sports colour. They could simply replace the triangle with the Scouts' "KC" and introduce some red into the Vegas gold and black scheme.

As Ez Street said, however, the Penguins are probably going to stay in Pittsburgh.

Still, the point's the same. Kansas City has a new ready-to-go arena. They'll attract a team sooner or latter. When they do, that team should be able to bring their history and identity with them.

Kansas City Predators.

J/K

I think KC will end up with an expansion team.

Very possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL expand to 32 teams. KC is a desperate market that has shown it really wants a team with an arena all ready to go.

Portland and Houston would probably battle out for the other expansion team. Portland would be a good geographic fit - but Houston being the 4th largest media market might lure the NHL faster.

Kansas City Predators.

J/K

I think KC will end up with an expansion team.

Very possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL expand to 32 teams. KC is a desperate market that has shown it really wants a team with an arena all ready to go.

Portland and Houston would probably battle out for the other expansion team. Portland would be a good geographic fit - but Houston being the 4th largest media market might lure the NHL faster.

I would love it if the NHL expanded to 32 teams, then they could adopt a NFL-esque style of alignment (the best style out there, IMO). Kansas City would be the obvious first choice, all though I doubt Huston and Portland would be in contention if KC gets an expansion bid. It's likely the NHL would want the second team to be an eastern team to balance the numbers out.

*EDIT-* Unless the NHL moves the Red Wings and an other western team (Blackhawks?, Blue Jackets?) to the east, and then adds two western expansion teams.

Expansion is an interesting idea, but as many have stated, it creates a problem with the current way the divisions are aligned.

Can anyone think of a better way to align the divisions? I'd sure love to see some proposals that take into consideration all of the possible expansion teams. It's time to get creative, people!

Expansion is an interesting idea, but as many have stated, it creates a problem with the current way the divisions are aligned.

Can anyone think of a better way to align the divisions? I'd sure love to see some proposals that take into consideration all of the possible expansion teams. It's time to get creative, people!

Well I don't have a re-alignment plan ready, but if the NHL added two expansion teams they could easily re-align the conferences based on the NFL model: two conferences, four divisions per conference, with four teams per division.

Awesome! It's been nearly 30 seconds since someone came up with a good reel-line-mint plan. I was starting to think you guys ran out of ideas!

Can't wait to read all the proposals!!!!!!!!!

KDKA in Pittsburgh is reporting that a deal is done for replacing Mellon Arena.

Early reaction: How many lame duck seasons does Nashville have again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Congrats to Pittsburgh!

Glad to see they finally have a resolution to their Arena problem.

I will root for the Penguins. They are a great team to watch.

Way better than the Avalanche and Blues. Two teams I currently pull for.

Preds are not moving. It's going to be expansion or nothing for KC.

Archived