Team names

MrTitan

Topic has probably been done before but I'm interested to see what would happen if you were the prospective owner of a new franchise team.

What would you name it? Design the logos and/or unis too.

A team name for NFLEL that might be pretty neat would be The Egyptian Tomb Raiders...sounds alittle fantasy football like though.

About 15 years ago or so, when I was in my early 20s, I played around with the idea of having a dice baseball league, using major league cities with different team nicknames.  Some were borrowed, some were blue (as you will see).

New York Empires

Boston Rebels

Baltimore Bombers (I thought of this before the failed NFL expansion name)

Detroit Wildcats

Cleveland Cherokees (ala Indians)

Milwaukee Millers (couldn't think of another name)

Toronto Blue Birds

Kansas City Monarchs (as in the Negro League team)

Chicago Wind Sox

Minnesota Norths (like from the North stars...lame name)

California Golds (since it's the Golden state)

Texas Lone Stars (although pluralizing lone star makes it not a lone star does it?)

Oakland Dynamos

Seattle Seagulls

Philadelphia Founders (as in the city where our nation was "founded" in 1776)

St. Louis Spirits

Chicago Grizzlies (for a football team I came up w/Chicago Kodiaks)

Montreal Mounties

New York Knights (like from "The Natural")

Florida Sun Sox

Cincinnati Strikers

Houston Toros (borrowed from minors)

Atlanta Apaches (that indian theme again)

I forget the other names I had, but I know I had other non mlb cities and nicknames for baseball...

Virginia Colonials

Kentucky Pioneers

That's all I can recall offhand.

Regards,

Bill McD.  Sorry I have no logos, I have no software to make logos, and I lack the artisic ability, but I admire everyone's work so much on here!

Also, happy holidays to one and all!

wdm1219inpenna

Good names! I also have a dice baseball game, I made about 15 years ago. I worked with youths who were locked-up and this kid and I came up with a dice game, with all the rules and situations we could think of. He loved baseball and that helped when I counsled with him.

We made rules for stealing, pick-offs, runners on and the # of outs. Though it's not perfect, we had hours of fun playing it.

We had teams to but usually used names of pro or minor league teams.

However, I do have two team names that I often (jokingly) suggest to my kids in my Physical Education classes when they can't decide on a team name: my two favorite are the BOSTON BUTTSCRATCHERS & the NORTH CAROLINA NOSEPICKERS. :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

for all my fantasy teams, i have always used:

Motown Spinepunchers (if i ever find the logo, i'll post it here)

Rock City Grifters (as in 'Detroit Rock City', the Kiss song)

now that i live in South Carolina, i use:

Southern Gentlemen

Pickens County Grifters 24732_franchise_icon0006.jpg

Tobacco Road Bengals (i use the Hamilton TigerCats logo), used to be the Spinepunchers, but i lost a name change game and was forced to become the Bengals!monkeybot-tr_bengals-100x100.jpg

and now the Carolina Gorillas in the CBL

heres some ive thought of, and made logos for......

New York Emperors

New York Knights

Boston Vultures

Philadelphia Colonials

Cleveland Generals

Detroit Ambassadors

Minnesota Archers

St.Louis Rock(lame ya i know)

Seattle Fins

Los Angeles Express(i knok its been used before but i made a sweet logo)

San Francisco Golden Gators(someone on these boards gave me this one, so i cant take credit)

Phoenix Fire

Chicago Storm

Dallas Stallions

Houston Apollos(thought of before the texans considered it)

Miami Palms

Jacksonvilli Marauders

Carolina Sultans

Kentucky Colonels

Nashville Guitars(i know its lame.....but creative!)

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Maybe so, but what about the CHL franchise in the 60's that had the same name?

I have to agree with you on the St. Louis Rock thing.  It would have been better had you used the name "Archers" for St. Louis rather than Minnesota.

some names i've always liked (and used in video game expansion teams and stuff):

texas tequila (my all-time favorite... doubt i'd be allowed to use it though)

honolulu kahunas

quebec roys (quebecois... and kings....)

vancouver lumberjacks

dallas assassins (if the jfk people would allow it... i like the way it flows)

trenchtown rock (if i ever had a team in jamaica)

btw, i love the golden gators idea... awesome name. a little minor leaguey, i think, but it's still awesome.

Amongst the various and sundry fantasy football team names I've used are:

Boston Massacre

New York Kongs

Los Angeles Condors

Tampa Bay TigerSharks

Las Vegas Vipers

Houston Roughnecks

Seattle Sasquatch

Minnesota Mammoths

San Diego Silverbacks

Norfolk Destroyers

Pittsburgh Vulcans

Oregon Orcas

Orlando Dragons

Dallas Cavalry

Chicago Steamrollers

San Antonio Stampede

Philadelphia Force

Birmingham Blitz

San Francisco Shock

Carolina Rampage

Brian in Boston

created a small hockey league that turned into a larger one...used playing cards and later dice for the results...here are the teams i remember:

Colorado Rockies (yep, total ripoff)

California Golden Seals (actually, these Seals were blue and yellow)

Tuskegee Airmen (while the place makes no sense for the sport, the name is the ultimate in relevance.)

Pawtucket Anchormen-hell of a lot better than the name i originally used for these guys, the Providence Hope (who were so hapless i liked to call em the Hopeless)

North Dakota Quickness (a newer team, i know what you're thinking but i'ma cookin up a sometin good here  :;): )

Dakota Dominators (from South Dakota, i sort of visualize Darth Vader as an alt logo with these guys)

Great Lakes Turn'n Burn'rs (again, i know what you're thinking, but again, cooking up something good)

Portland Beaverjacks (once again, i can read your mind.  this time, i agree with you: name sucked)

and for basketball, i did something similar...the teams in my memory bank:

(Seattle) Sonic City Boom (ah, forget it, at least i liked the name)

Omaha Hares

(Racine;you know i had to do it)Wisconsin Windjammers (despite proximity to Lake Michigan, no relation to the type of ship, the name relates more to how windy it can get here)

Rapid City Thrillers: ripped off from the defunct CBA team, i gave em a Globetrotter-esque identity that i plan on recreating for the masses

Sioux Falls Skyforce: ripped from teh still-kicking CBA team...but have you seen the pieces of crap they wear nowadays?

Alaskan Freeze: run of the mill, i know.  nothin more to say.

La Armada de Mexico/Mexico Armada: being Mexico's lone team in my league, gave em their flag colors and the logo of an eagle with a tank (of course, eating a snake in the process)

Nashville Golden Shots, and the later entry Kingston(Jamaica) Violet Shots: former inspired by, as some of my stuff is, by the Sonics' logo at the time.  latter by a Jamaican league soccer team, the Violet Kickers

El Paso Icemen: owner-George Gervin...the reason i put em in El Paso, i cannot remember

New Orleans Showboats

Texas LoneStar Soldiers, formerly Texas Lonestars: name change due to Master P buying team :laugh: and then deciding to use both names for some reason

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hey that was mine - my nickname is the "Dead Presidents" because my full name is John Kennedy Johnson = 3 dead president names. :cool:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Hey that was mine - my nickname is the "Dead Presidents" because my full name is John Kennedy Johnson = 3 dead president names. :cool:

I'm sorry but how is Johnson a dead president name?? No Johnson died in office!! Andrew was the first to be impeached, and face trial in the senate, and Lyndon resigned rather than lose an election, but neither died in office!!!! (Obviously both are dead now however!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I knew somebody in college whose real name was Dallas Kennedy. Sometimes he went by the name D.C. Kennedy.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe so, but what about the CHL franchise in the 60's that had the same name?

I have to agree with you on the St. Louis Rock thing. It would have been better had you used the name "Archers" for St. Louis rather than Minnesota.

hey i was born in 89, ive neever heard of it! :laugh:

and ya i came up with the rock a long time ago and had a Black and Red concept with it. I recently thought of the name archers for minnesota, and knew that St. Louis would be way better for it, but i already made a Stlouis one.

the minnesota logo is the stae of minnesota with an arrow piercing through the Twin Cities area. the colours are bright blue and orange.

i also have made a Portland Pacifics logo with a whale jumping and waves coming up and they form a cirlcle. pretty cool.

i have a bunch mroe ill have to dig em up. i like this thread lets keep it going

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived