10 Spot

The Nation

In other news, Leaf fans were noticeably absent when they were the ones losing.

The one good thing? Steen. I watched his dad play for the Jets a ton, even met the guy a few times.

The bad thing? Leaf fans.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well... when we win its something to be celebrated because we can't seem to do it too much these days... well... any time really since 1967... lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Well have of the leaf fans are on the bandwagon. They only come out when they will lol. But its good too see the leaf bringing up the rookies . a 10-2 win like that they should or we hope they keep the roster like that.

4kv29i.jpg

TEN freakin' goals and Mats Sundin totals ONE assist? WTF?!

I really hate fantasy hockey on days like this.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Looks like Steen is nicely back on track, though.

way to go boys go Leafs go! I really don't think that was a bad a game as it seem, shots were 33-29 in favour of the leafs so 4 more shots and 8 more goals, the goalies in beantown nned to pick up their play!

untitled-6.jpg

There's a pattern here: Sundin needs to take it easy, and others pick-up the slack.

When he's hot, they rely too much on him.

Another notable: Matt Stajan shines when his ice-time is superior to 15 minutes...

:hockeysmiley:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

See, I hate comments where people say "this game will get them back on track" or people begin going "Raycroft is back in form" blah blah for various reasons. First, one game doesnt dictate an entire season. Every time they play a good or GREAT game, we are on our way to winning the Stanley Cup. When they play a mediocore or horrible game its time to fire Maurice, Ferguson and blow up the team. I HATE many of the Toronto sports writers for taking this see-saw approach and change their opinions after every game. I don't believe the Leafs are back on track after this win, in fact, I don't see Steen scoring again for awhile once Wellwood and Tucker return to the line up and we slump again. We also routinly get our asses handed to us after we blow out a team because they can't seem to keep their egos from getting to them and believing that one game has changed their season. I hate being a Leafs fan sometimes just because we are the biggest name in the NHL (this isn't being cocky, we may be the most recognized brand in the entire league internationally) and are followed very closely by the media. We have horrible bandwaggoners and horrible fans. I am GLAD we won a game like this because it keeps me believing we can improve and are improving when I know for a fact it was a one game thing and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year. I sympathize with Yankee fans, Red Sox fans, Cubs fans and any other fans of teams who are so big, so closely followed and at times, very very underachieving and mediocore.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

this isn't being cocky, we may be the most recognized brand in the entire league internationally

You're not. See: Detroit Red Wings brand recognition, especially in Russia, Hagiolatry of Peter Forsberg (Mats who?) in Sweden, New York Rangers supporters in the Czech Republic, and the sudden phenomenal shift in fan membership in Finland of the Dallas Stars over the traditional fan favourite, the Anaheim Ducks.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

this isn't being cocky, we may be the most recognized brand in the entire league internationally

You're not. See: Detroit Red Wings brand recognition, especially in Russia, Hagiolatry of Peter Forsberg (Mats who?) in Sweden, New York Rangers supporters in the Czech Republic, and the sudden phenomenal shift in fan membership in Finland of the Dallas Stars over the traditional fan favourite, the Anaheim Ducks.

Sundin is still a very recognized name in Sweden even though he has not had the Stanley Cup success Forsberg has. Remember, Sundin DID lead Sweden to the gold at the Olympics last year (was also the captain for a reason, eh?) and is also one of the most successful Swedish players to ever play in the NHL. Also, how can you forget that their generation (and I swear, you read an interview from a Swedish player about who was their idol growing up and odds are his name will be mentioned) was greatly influenced by another famous Leaf and arguably one of the most famous Swedish players - Borje Salming. Of corse there would be Rangers bandwaggoners in the CR, I mean, Jagr is a home grown superstar. Can't forget about Hasek though, and I'm sure at times there was giant Penguins support for when Jagr was winning Stanley Cups with that mullett of his and Sabres support when Hasek was backstopping them to playoff success.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Sundin is still a very recognized name in Sweden even though he has not had the Stanley Cup success Forsberg has. Remember, Sundin DID lead Sweden to the gold at the Olympics last year (was also the captain for a reason, eh?) and is also one of the most successful Swedish players to ever play in the NHL. Also, how can you forget that their generation (and I swear, you read an interview from a Swedish player about who was their idol growing up and odds are his name will be mentioned) was greatly influenced by another famous Leaf and arguably one of the most famous Swedish players - Borje Salming. Of corse there would be Rangers bandwaggoners in the CR, I mean, Jagr is a home grown superstar. Can't forget about Hasek though, and I'm sure at times there was giant Penguins support for when Jagr was winning Stanley Cups with that mullett of his and Sabres support when Hasek was backstopping them to playoff success.

Dunno, based on the Swedes I deal with, it goes (1) Forsberg (2) Alfredsson (3) Naslund (4a) Sundin (4b) The Sedins (4c) Lundqvist. Now, if we go back in time a decade, Sundin would be up there with Forsberg, but the current crop of hockey fans in Sweden aren't as interested in Mats, as there are plenty of other Swedish guys in the NHL to follow.

But brand recognition for the NHL in Europe is a fickle thing, much like European Football in the US. It's all based on the players. After all, after ManU and Chelsea, Fullham is perhaps almost level with Liverpool and Arsenal in terms of US supporters. Why? McBride, Friedal, (and now) Dempsey and Onyewu. I mean, a Finnish guy I know tossed his Ducks jersey when Selanne was traded to San Jose, tossed his Sharks jersey when he signed with Colorado, and tossed the Avalanche jersey for the original Ducks jersey he had when Selanne rejoined the Ducks. It seems the only one to really stick was the Red Wings in Russia, but perhaps it's because of their colour choice... ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Dunno, based on the Swedes I deal with, it goes (1) Forsberg (2) Alfredsson (3) Naslund (4a) Sundin (4b) The Sedins (4c) Lundqvist. Now, if we go back in time a decade, Sundin would be up there with Forsberg, but the current crop of hockey fans in Sweden aren't as interested in Mats, as there are plenty of other Swedish guys in the NHL to follow.

But brand recognition for the NHL in Europe is a fickle thing, much like European Football in the US. It's all based on the players. After all, after ManU and Chelsea, Fullham is perhaps almost level with Liverpool and Arsenal in terms of US supporters. Why? McBride, Friedal, (and now) Dempsey and Onyewu. I mean, a Finnish guy I know tossed his Ducks jersey when Selanne was traded to San Jose, tossed his Sharks jersey when he signed with Colorado, and tossed the Avalanche jersey for the original Ducks jersey he had when Selanne rejoined the Ducks. It seems the only one to really stick was the Red Wings in Russia, but perhaps it's because of their colour choice... ;)

Ok, while Sundin MAY not be the most popular player in Sweden right now, I'm willing to bet if you mention his name people will know who he is and who he plays for. With the Red Wings popularity in Russia, I think a better explanation would be that that team has employed decent Russian born players for the last two decades and still do. Well, I would say more than decent and some have been superstars. You are correct though how people get behind players who play for a team, not a team and just cheer on some players. Funny story about your Finnish friend though, I'm surprised he never invested in a Jets jersey though. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

and the sudden phenomenal shift in fan membership in Finland of the Dallas Stars over the traditional fan favourite, the Anaheim Ducks.

Does this mean Teemu is going to Dallas? I remember the Jets being huge in Finland during the Flash's stay in Winnipeg.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Does this mean Teemu is going to Dallas? I remember the Jets being huge in Finland during the Flash's stay in Winnipeg.

Who knows... ^_^

I've been interested how Europeans view the NHL, so I spend a lot of time talking with them on team channels on IRC, and at the same time learning about hockey in Europe. But I thought it was strange when I was asked on one of the channels I've been on for a while if I was a fan of the Stars. I said how I was kind of a fair-weather fan of them, as they're the closest NHL team to here, and the channel went abuzz about how they love the Stars and all their Finns, especially Jussi Jokinen and his shootout prowess...followed by a large amount of profanity because they were TPS supporters. :D

Though with all of my chatting (I've tried to be all things to all men despite being a follower of HV71 and Karpat), I've found that it's similar to us and football in Europe, but unlike us, when their players leave, they follow them, like my buddy, for example.

Archived