Another Aussie about to make it big in the NFL

Alphabet Man

National Nine News over here has reported that Saverio Rocca has is or about to sign a 3 year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.

He will become the 3rd Australian in the league behind Ben Graham and Mat McBriar. And will become the 3rd ex-AFL player to make it big in the NFL behind Darren Bennet and Ben Graham.

I hope he makes it. Sav is a massive kick, could launch 70+metre kicks for goal in the AFL, a bit similar to Graham although I would rate the ex-Kangaroo and Magpie the bigger kick.

He heads over in March to try secure the spot. Good luck.

And looks like scouts are looking for more punters out of Australia. Obviously Graham and Bennet's infamous use of the drop punt has the scouts liking something as American players are used to catching the backward spinning end-on-end ball.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Rocca? As in Rocca-bye-baby Rocca? As in Rex Hunt's "ROCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Rocca? That'd be awesome.

The Eagles could use his leg, not that Dirk Johnson is a horrible punter, but it'd be nice to pin guys back with that leg that kicked so many bombs for the 'Pies. And I'm sure the media would eat it up, too.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Anthony Rocca. 'Doh!

philly.png

Any links to articles about this potential signing?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No links i can find but Channel 9 reported it, it must be fact. Rocca was saying things about how difficult it is over there, they can rip up a contract a day after signing etc.

Yeh Sav Rocca not Anthony- Philly are getting the best of the two

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go, its been announced now.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...3-23211,00.html

0,5001,5371379,00.jpg

Rocca ... taking a punt with an American football career. Pic: Sam Wundke

Rocca to City of Brotherly Love

By Andy Withers

FOXSPORTS.com.au

January 26, 2007

SAVERIO Rocca has signed as a National Football League punter with Philadelphia Eagles, the Philadelphia Inquirer has reported.

An Eagles spokesman confirmed earlier this week that Rocca had agreed terms on a standard, non-guaranteed three-year contract, with the intention of learning to punt in the NFL, but the deal was only announced today after the club had received Rocca’s contract.

The former Collingwood and Kangaroos forward, who retired from the AFL last year, after 15 seasons, will be in competition for the Eagles punting job with veteran Dirk Johnson, who struggled early last season after signing a six-year contract extension in late August.

Johnson, 31, producing a series of solid performances during the team's six-game winning streak before the National Football Conference play-off loss in New Orleans this season, and he has to be considered the favourite to retain his job next season.

Rocca, 33, kicked 20 goals in nine matches for the Kangaroos last year, boosting his career tally to 748 majors from 257 games. He was the Magpies’ leading goal kicker from 1993 to 1999, and he topped the Kangaroos’ scorers in 2001, 2002 and 2004.

But he had been looking for a while to chase a dream of playing in the NFL, and he tried out for Buffalo Bills last September.

Rocca is following in the footsteps of former San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl punter Darren Bennett and current New York Jets punter Ben Graham, who each made the transition from AFL to NFL football.

Graham became the oldest rookie in NFL history when he debuted with the Jets two seasons ago, aged 31, replacing former Eagles player Vince Papale in the record books.

Dallas Cowboys punter Mat McBriar, the NFC Pro Bowl punter this season, having led the NFL with a 48.2-yard average, also hails from Australia, but he played American football at University of Hawaii.

McBriar did, however, play Australian Rules football in Australia, playing for Brighton Grammar School in Melbourne, before moving to Hawaii

"It's mixed feelings because it's quite exciting if you make it and go all the way," Rocca said on Channel 9 earlier this week, when he announced that he had signed a deal with the Eagles.

"That environment, for the family, it's a bit hectic, because we're just not sure how far we're going to go ... they can terminate the contract after one day if they want to.

“I've got to get over there and show 'em that I'm fairly good and I can kick just as good as, if not better than, who they've got there at the moment."

Rocca said he expected to travel to Philadelphia in late March, when the Eagles commence their off-season conditioning program

• 7 months later...

And he has made it!

His brother announced it here yesterday, its good news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cerDBOd_zlg

Cheapshot, but he got straight up.... you can tell he wasn't a soccer player.

Now we got 3 Aussies and a couple more are interested in going across - Anthony Rocca, Fevola and Stuart Dew was going to have a crack.

Rocca? As in Rocca-bye-baby Rocca? As in Rex Hunt's "ROCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Rocca? That'd be awesome.

The Eagles could use his leg, not that Dirk Johnson is a horrible punter, but it'd be nice to pin guys back with that leg that kicked so many bombs for the 'Pies. And I'm sure the media would eat it up, too.

Brain, are you from Australia? You seem to be more into Aussie Rules Football than anyone i've ever come into contact with in America, which is cool but i'm just curious.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Brain, are you from Australia? You seem to be more into Aussie Rules Football than anyone i've ever come into contact with in America, which is cool but i'm just curious.

well, Brain is a part of the Aussie Rules fantasy league in CCSLC, and there are quite a few of us non-Australians involved, myself included (go Bombers! ^_^).

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showforum=33

As for Rocca, that's great news. Doesn't that make him the oldest NFL rookie now? He will get to punt against the Jets in the regular season. The Jets have another former AFL player, Ben Graham as punter. There's also another Aussie punter, Mat McBriar of the Cowboys.

I saw, I came, I left.

well, Brain is a part of the Aussie Rules fantasy league in CCSLC, and there are quite a few of us non-Australians involved, myself included (go Bombers! ^_^).

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showforum=33

As for Rocca, that's great news. Doesn't that make him the oldest NFL rookie now? He will get to punt against the Jets in the regular season. The Jets have another former AFL player, Ben Graham as punter. There's also another Aussie punter, Mat McBriar of the Cowboys.

Yeh, the oldest ever.

McBriar I think played Ammos over here, before he went to Hawaii and to Dallas.

I can't tell you how awesome that Rocca made it. Johnson's a good punter, but I think the Eagles were going to go with Rocca all along... it was just a matter of how he did in holding the ball for David Akers. He seemed to do okay, that mishap against the Jets aside.

An interesting thought -- with his big frame and the fact that he took 1300+ marks in the AFL, do you think he would be a nice wrinkle in a hail-mary package?

And BF2004, I'm a full blooded American who happens to like Aussie Rules more than "gridiron". I personally think that this sport would take off in America if given the right platform. Right now it's more of a "play-for-fun" sport over here, though there is a league and a program over here... usfooty.com. If you've never seen it before, look up "Aussie Rules" in youtube. ^_^

And Go the Jersey Shore Crushers. ^_^

philly.png

An interesting thought -- with his big frame and the fact that he took 1300+ marks in the AFL, do you think he would be a nice wrinkle in a hail-mary package?

nah, I'm sure he would be called for hands in the back.... er.... pass interference ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I personally think that this sport would take off in America if given the right platform.

I can't agree with you more. There is a large gap in the summer where the only good sport to watch is baseball.

I wished they would show AFL live in North America. With the time difference, games are usually on around midnight in the Eastern Time Zone or Pacific Time Zone would be around 9pm. It would be the perfect time to do a half an hour of Sportscentre/er and then show a game. Only problem with that is who, other than fans, would stay up to midnight to watch a sport they might have an interest in. Right now Rogers Sportsnet shows tape delayed games a few hors after they're complete.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

I personally think that this sport would take off in America if given the right platform.

I can't agree with you more. There is a large gap in the summer where the only good sport to watch is baseball.

I wished they would show AFL live in North America. With the time difference, games are usually on around midnight in the Eastern Time Zone or Pacific Time Zone would be around 9pm. It would be the perfect time to do a half an hour of Sportscentre/er and then show a game. Only problem with that is who, other than fans, would stay up to midnight to watch a sport they might have an interest in. Right now Rogers Sportsnet shows tape delayed games a few hors after they're complete.

Way back when ESPN started (28 years ago today I think I heard), they used to broadcast AFL all the time. I loved watching it. Oh well, you have to have time for Poker and such *important* things these days. :rolleyes:

It's where I sit.

Archived