NHL Reserves announced

The Nation

ESPN

NEW YORK -- Martin Brodeur is headed back to the NHL All-Star game. Banged-up forwards Jaromir Jagr and Jarome Iginla are not.

Brodeur, taking aim at many career goaltending records, was one of 30 players selected Saturday for hockey's midseason classic to be held this month in Dallas. The backbone of New Jersey's defense for more than a decade, Brodeur is an All-Star for the ninth time.

If he leads the Eastern Conference to victory on Jan. 24, Brodeur would match Glenn Hall's All-Star record of four wins. He has a 3-1 career record and is fourth among goalies in appearances, trailing Hall (13), and Terry Sawchuk and Patrick Roy, who each made 11.

Jagr, the New York Rangers captain, won't be making the trip despite being tied for fifth in the league with 58 points entering play Saturday. The nine-time All-Star has been slow to regain strength in his left shoulder following offseason surgery, and will instead use the week off to rehab, and rest an aching hip -- at the request of the Rangers.

"We talked about it that it would be better for me not to go," Jagr said.

Iginla played in each of the last three All-Star games, but the Calgary Flames captain isn't among the Western Conference's 15 reserves because of a knee injury. He has 23 goals and 53 points in 39 games this season.

Brodeur shows no sign of slowing down at 34. In 42 games this season, his 14th in the NHL, Brodeur has posted a league-high 26 victories and seven shutouts. His 2.07 goals-against average ranks second to Detroit's Dominik Hasek, who was left off the West roster.

Ryan Miller, one of three Buffalo Sabres elected to the East squad, will start in goal. Montreal's Cristobal Huet will make his All-Star debut as Miller's other backup.

Joining starters Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh, Washington's Alex Ovechkin and Buffalo's Daniel Briere up front for the East are first-timers Jason Blake of the New York Islanders and Eric Staal and Justin Williams from the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes.

Philadelphia's Simon Gagne, Marian Hossa of the Atlanta Thrashers, Brendan Shanahan of the New York Rangers, Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis from the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa's Dany Heatley fill out the East's forward lines.

Heatley earned All-Star MVP honors in 2003 when he scored a record-tying four goals in the East's 6-5 loss.

"It's a fun weekend and it's an honor to go," Heatley said.

Because of the lockout in 2005 and the NHL's participation in the Turin Olympics last season, the league is staging its first All-Star game in three years.

The six starters in each conference were chosen by fan balloting, and the additions were made by the NHL's hockey operations department after consultation with general managers.

Florida's Jay Bouwmeester will make his All-Star debut for the East and will be joined on defense by Brian Rafalski of the Devils, Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins and Tomas Kaberle of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Buffalo's Brian Campbell and Sheldon Souray of Montreal will start.

Right wing Teemu Selanne, the top scorer on the NHL-leading Anaheim Ducks, will be making his 10th All-Star appearance -- second among Western Conference players to starter Joe Sakic's 12. Selanne earned the MVP award in the 1998 game when he became the first European player to register a hat trick.

Selanne is putting together a comeback season of sorts in his 14th year in the NHL. He has posted 28 goals and 29 assists in 46 games, and had a league-leading 15 power-play goals and seven game-winners.

Goalie Miikka Kiprusoff and defenseman Dion Phaneuf of the Calgary Flames, defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky of the Los Angeles Kings, and forwards Martin Havlat of the Chicago Blackhawks, Yanic Perreault of the Phoenix Coyotes, Brian Rolston of the Minnesota Wild, Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers and Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings are set to make their All-Star debuts.

Joining Kiprusoff and starter Roberto Luongo in the West's goaltending trio is Marty Turco of the host Dallas Stars. Turco will making his third All-Star appearance while teammate Philippe Boucher is a first-time choice on defense.

The remaining selections are: defenseman Kimmo Timonen of the Nashville Predators and forwards Bill Guerin of the St. Louis Blues, Patrick Marleau of the San Jose Sharks and Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Sakic of Colorado will start up front on a line with San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Jonathan Cheechoo. Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer and Nicklas Lidstrom of Detroit were voted in on defense.

Lindy Ruff, of the East-leading Sabres, will be behind one bench. Anaheim's Randy Carlyle coaches the West squad.

The rosters for the YoungStars game to be played Jan. 23, as part of skills night, also were announced Saturday.

Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin and 19-year-old center Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings headline the 22 players selected. Boston rookie Phil Kessel, who recently returned following surgery to treat testicular cancer, also was chosen.

No Jagr, Kimmo Timmonen over Pronger?? No Iginla, no Sedin's no Hasek, the voting is reminiscent to the Pro Bowl Voting....A Joke.

Iginla is hurt, correct? But Hasek and Jagr were robbed they lead the league in most categories. Drury, Pominville, and Vanek for the Sabres could have made it. But Ruff probably dosen't want his entire team in Dallas.

saBS.png

If you dumbies would READ, Jagr wants the time to recover from injury becuase his shoulder is slow to recover. What is he leading in? He doesn't have the most points. or Goals, or assists, or powerplay points. He's the highlighted parts of the article for those of you who didn't bother to read why he isn't going this year.

"Jagr, the New York Rangers captain, won't be making the trip despite being tied for fifth in the league with 58 points entering play Saturday. The nine-time All-Star has been slow to regain strength in his left shoulder following offseason surgery, and will instead use the week off to rehab, and rest an aching hip -- at the request of the Rangers.

"We talked about it that it would be better for me not to go," Jagr said."

Someone who should be going is Savard. Leading the Bruins in Points, top 10 in league scoring, 4th in assists. Yet Wiliams is going in spite of having 15 points less than him.

Yeah, I'm biased becasue I'm a huge Savrd fan, but he's on his way up, and if the NHL is interested in highlighting their new young stars, they're missing a guy who's putting up big points on a team without a dedicated goal scorer. 40 assists on a team where the top goal getter has 20 (Savard got his 17th tonight)

Kimmo Timmonen over Pronger??

Well, if you really want a player with a broken foot, then you'd have a good argument.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Well yes he's hurt, but like the other poster said, they should still name him, and acknowledge the fact that he's an all-star, so at the end of his career they can see how much all-star caliber seasons he's had.

I mean imagine if Wayne Gretzky got a slight injury the day before all-star teams are announced, and he requested that he not play the game, and this happened each year for the rest of his career; is he a zero time all-star???

Kimmo Timmonen over Pronger??

Well, if you really want a player with a broken foot, then you'd have a good argument.

Well yes he's hurt, but like the other poster said, they should still name him, and acknowledge the fact that he's an all-star, so at the end of his career they can see how much all-star caliber seasons he's had.

I mean imagine if Wayne Gretzky got a slight injury the day before all-star teams are announced, and he requested that he not play the game, and this happened each year for the rest of his career; is he a zero time all-star???

If it was a slight "day-to-day" injury, he'd likely still be named to the All-Star Game. If he backs out, I think he would still be considered an All-Star, I can't say for certain if he wouldn't. In cases like that (or even if a perfectly healthy All-Star gets injured mere days before the All-Star Game), they have reserves who would be named prior to the All-Star Break.

When the NHL says a player is an "All-Star", they usually refer to the All-Star Team the NHL announces at the end of the season, acknowledging the six best players at each position overall (and the six 2nd-best players, who become the Second All-Star Team).

But if it is obvious that a player who has been injured for a few weeks is not going to recover in time for the All-Star Game, a game where you NEED to dress six defencemen anyways, there is no point for a coach in putting him in the lineup for any reason.

Also keep in mind that it was Randy Carlyle's decision to not include Chris Pronger in the All-Star Game lineup.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

i'm curious as to why turco got selected.

I'm agreeing with you here. Turco's a great goalie, no doubt, but Hasek's leading the league in GAA, which is currently under 2. Hasek also has 6 shutouts(2nd NHL behind Brodeur's 7), 24 wins(3rd, behind Brodeur and Luongo), and a better save % than Turco.

For those thinking about the Red Wings bias, but I absolutely hate Dominik Hasek with a passion, to be perfectly honest. He did get snubbed though.

i'm curious as to why turco got selected.

I'm agreeing with you here. Turco's a great goalie, no doubt, but Hasek's leading the league in GAA, which is currently under 2. Hasek also has 6 shutouts(2nd NHL behind Brodeur's 7), 24 wins(3rd, behind Brodeur and Luongo), and a better save % than Turco.

For those thinking about the Red Wings bias, but I absolutely hate Dominik Hasek with a passion, to be perfectly honest. He did get snubbed though.

Mabye he just told the NHL he dosn't want to play and possibly injure his precious fragile groin.

saBS.png

It is shocking to me that one of the top centres in the league wasn't in the all star balloting to begin with. That being Marc Savard. Yet Rory Fitzpatrick had such a strong showing of votes. Think it's time that a visit to the all-star game should be performance based! :cursing:

Here are the projected Eastern lines, after the starters skate their first shift:

Gagne - Lecavalier - St. Louis

Heatley - Briere - Hossa

Shanahan - Crosby - Ovechkin

Blake - Staal - Williams

As a frequent critic of Simon Gagne, this line should work for him. He's got 2 guys who can do the bulk for the work for him and dump it off once the defense chases leaves Simon open.

I love the Sid-Ovie-Shanny line. I wonder what the West is gonna bring out against them,

Archived