Pirates make a move ,its about time.

buildingmaint

Why did Atlanta do that. LaRoche is a good young talent that they could have kept for years to come. Theyve already beefed up their bullpen by getting Rafael Soriano. The guy they have to replace LaRoche, Scott Thorman, is a guy who doesn't seem ready to fill this void.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

Why did Atlanta do that. LaRoche is a good young talent that they could have kept for years to come. Theyve already beefed up their bullpen by getting Rafael Soriano. The guy they have to replace LaRoche, Scott Thorman, is a guy who doesn't seem ready to fill this void.

Gonzalez is a shutdown closer. Do you know how many games we lost last year because our bullpen was horrendous? I'd rather lose a little bit of offense in order to make the pitching better than it was last year. We'd be talking 15 straight maybe if we had the least bit of relief pitching last year.

This news does not matter. His "contract" will be bought out by the Yankees, Red Sox or Mets if he proves even half decent. And if he ends up blowing it, then the Pirates will continue to wallow in sub-par misery for another 20 years, or until the team is forced to either relocate, or be contracted.

MLB used to be great, now it's dreadful, and good "news" such as this is short lived anyway. Until and unless MLB gets a salary range (ceiling and floor), it's going to continue to decline.

For anyone to be thrilled that their favorite team will lose ONLY 88 games is truly sorrowful.

Baseball doesn't need salary restrictions. There's little connection between paying and winning.

see Orioles, Baltimore

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Baseball has had 7 different World Champions the last 7 seasons.

Baseball doesn't need a salary cap, in my honest opinion. The current system may be flawed but it has come a long way from where it was before the 2002 CBA. The Milwaukees, Pittsburghs, Kansas Citys and Cincinattis can now afford to have a payroll in the $80-90 million range. Why? Because of revenue sharing, the luxury tax and new stadiums. It's just a matter of those teams using the money wisely.

The problem with the Pirates is two-fold: they have cheap ownership who is using revenue to pay off stadium debt and they have one of the dumbest GMs in baseball. Combine the two and you have the current mess in Pittsburgh.

The Pirates had an operating income of $12.2 million in 2005 according to Forbes (2006 numbers aren't out yet). That was the 7th most in baseball.

1997 | 2003

Baseball doesn't need salary restrictions. There's little connection between paying and winning.

see Orioles, Baltimore

And Chicago Cubs.

And the A's. And the Twins. And the Marlins.

Texas Rangers too!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Didn't I post all these a few months ago?

Since when do people remember threads from several months ago (much less read their contents in the first place) around here?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm sorry, TCR, you could have posted it yesterday, and I still wouldn't have paid attention to anything you said. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived