UT sues Texas A&M store over logo use

cajunaggie08

As a midwesterner/Great Laker, I wish the whole state of Texas would just get swallowed by the Graboids or something.

Only after I get my M.A. ;) Besides, the last thing I need are Texans any further east in Louisiana than they already are now. I mean, Texas accents are only a half-hour's drive away now. This travesty must be corrected.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a midwesterner/Great Laker, I wish the whole state of Texas would just get swallowed by the Graboids or something.

Only after I get my M.A. ;)

Okay. Get your degree and clear out. I figured it would be in poor taste to wish natural disasters on Texas, since there was a big one just down the road, so I went with Tremors. I had to look up the name. I should've just said "swallowed by the ZoneEater from Final Fantasy III." We're nerds here. We'd get it.

the last thing I need are Texans any further east in Louisiana than they already are now.

The last thing Texans need are any more LA. Katrina victims coming west to shoot the town up, smoke crack and apply for welfare.

FsQiF2W.png

the last thing I need are Texans any further east in Louisiana than they already are now.

The last thing Texans need are any more LA. Katrina victims coming west to shoot the town up, smoke crack and apply for welfare.

Oh my!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Let the record show that I didn't say "the last thing I need are Texans any further east in Louisiana than they already are now."

Let it show that I did say that I don't care for Texas.

Let the record show that I didn't say "the last thing I need are Texans any further east in Louisiana than they already are now."

I'd like to know specifically what you don't enjoy about Texas. In fact, I'm dying to know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd like to know specifically what you don't enjoy about Texas. In fact, I'm dying to know.

Me too. It's a big place. There are parts I can't stand myself. But to condemn the ENTIRE state seems a wee bit judgemental to me. Now Oklahoma is a different story alltogether. I mean where.......(kidding!)

newsig.jpg

I said that, and I stand by it. You folks need to stay on your side of the Sabine, for the good of us all! ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I said that, and I stand by it. You folks need to stay on your side of the Sabine, for the good of us all! ;)

My family got to the west side of the Sabine as soon as we could and we havent looked back ever since. Although we do head back to Louisiana to get some crawfish every year :D

This is ridiculous. Both of these schools are ridiculous. The 12th man lawsuit is ridiculous, and suing your rival over a fun, albeit mocking and degrading image, is ridiculous.

This is what rivals do; they mock and degrade each other. They spit on each other in stadium parking lots. A football game and a few beers later, they yell at each other across the street, one side boasting and the other side formulating a good drunken comeback.

The whole f-ing country needs to lighten up. UT isn't losing money because of some frickin' tee shirts being sold in College Station, and A&M isn't losing anything in allowing a pro team more 2,000 miles away to use a fan nickname. Earn your school's money on the field, not in a lawsuit. Take the BCS's money, not your rival's.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is ridiculous. Both of these schools are ridiculous. The 12th man lawsuit is ridiculous, and suing your rival over a fun, albeit mocking and degrading image, is ridiculous.

This is what rivals do; they mock and degrade each other. They spit on each other in stadium parking lots. A football game and a few beers later, they yell at each other across the street, one side boasting and the other side formulating a good drunken comeback.

The whole f-ing country needs to lighten up. UT isn't losing money because of some frickin' tee shirts being sold in College Station, and A&M isn't losing anything in allowing a pro team more 2,000 miles away to use a fan nickname. Earn your school's money on the field, not in a lawsuit. Take the BCS's money, not your rival's.

You do realize that in order to keep your rights to trademarks that you must protect them, other wise you can lose your trademark. They have every right to go after them whether they think they are losing money over it or not. It is their job to protect their property however they feel necessary. If I took your umbrella logo and turned it sideways on a t-shirt that said "Tempest Blows" you'd probably be upset over it. If I was selling that shirt you'd probably want me to stop. It is also your right to stop me from doing that.

You do realize that in order to keep your rights to trademarks that you must protect them, other wise you can lose your trademark. They have every right to go after them whether they think they are losing money over it or not. It is their job to protect their property however they feel necessary. If I took your umbrella logo and turned it sideways on a t-shirt that said "Tempest Blows" you'd probably be upset over it. If I was selling that shirt you'd probably want me to stop. That is also your right to stop mke from doing that.

Parodies are exempt from trademark laws.

Not necessarily. Not all "parody" is completely exempt from trademark law. You must at least make a clear distinction that it is in fact a parody and not related to the original, or attemtpt to confuse the audience that it is so. Instead of trying to explain it in detail, here's an article you can read. See specifically section Bii, entitled "tarnishment"...

http://www.patentfla.com/articles/trademark_parody.htm

Not necessarily. Not all "parody" is completely exempt from trademark law. You must at least make a clear distinction that it is in fact a parody and not related to the original, or attemtpt to confuse the audience that it is so. Instead of trying to explain it in detail, here's an article you can read. See specifically section Bii, entitled "tarnishment"...

http://www.patentfla.com/articles/trademark_parody.htm

I doubt people will confuse one of these A&M "Saw 'Em Off!" shirts as a University of Texas Longhorns shirt. Therefore it would be protected under laws concerning parodies.

I doubt people will confuse one of these A&M shirts, depicting a mutilated Long Horns logo, as a University of Texas shirt. Therefore it would be protected under laws concerning parodies.

You are missing the point. People will confuse the Longhorn for being a Texas logo, which it is. It could easily be found that the logo is being used in a deceitful manner.

From the article I attached above:

"Tarnishment, on the other hand, generally arises when a plaintiff's trademark is linked to products of inferior quality or is portrayed in an unwholesome or unsavory context likely to evoke unflattering thoughts about the owner's product. Generally, tarnishment has been found in cases where a distinctive mark is depicted in a context of sexual activity, obscenity or illegal activity."

Archived