UT sues Texas A&M store over logo use

cajunaggie08

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage...gepublisher.com

The University of Texas has filed a complainted against a store in College Station called Aggieland Outfitters. They have been selling merchandise and t-shirts with the image of a longhorn logo with its horns sawed off.

sawemofftowellores.jpg

The store is using the defense that since it is a parody of UT's logo that this falls under the catagory of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Here is a website set up by the store owner showing his side of the case http://www.sawemoff.com/. I just wanted to share this logo news with yall.

WRONGHORNS-FLC200high.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting that they are selling t-shirts with this logo to support the legal fund...

sure looks like they've manipulated a registered logo to me...

if the "i'm a gator" guys had to stop selling t-shirts with the word gator in orange on a blue background, i can't understand why these folks would be able to continue selling these shirts...but then, i'm not a lawyer

jldesigns404eo.png

The University of Texas has filed a complainted against a store in College Station called Aggieland Outfitters. They have been selling merchandise and t-shirts with the image of a longhorn logo with its horns sawed off.

sawemofftowellores.jpg

The store is using the defense that since it is a parody of UT's logo that this falls under the catagory of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Here is a website set up by the store owner showing his side of the case http://www.sawemoff.com/. I just wanted to share this logo news with yall.

Aww... the folks at Austin Jr. High got tired of staring at the lint in their navels?

With that said, both sides have a point. It's obviously a parody of the longhorn logo, but...why did it take the UT system almost ten years from the original copyright being made for the logo to do something about it? It isn't as though it was hidden from view that whole time. Sounds like someone in Austin found a loophole to poke an Aggie supporter in the eye...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

sawemofftowellores.jpg

Aww... the folks at Austin Jr. High got tired of staring at the lint in their navels?

With that said, both sides have a point. It's obviously a parody of the longhorn logo, but...why did it take the UT system almost ten years from the original copyright being made for the logo to do something about it? It isn't as though it was hidden from view that whole time. Sounds like someone in Austin found a loophole to poke an Aggie supporter in the eye...

they made of found a loophole, but obviously they werent that worried about it until A&M beat them and sent the horns from the Fiesta Bowl to Fiesta Texas, which cost the school some money going from a chance to a BCS bowl to the alamo bowl. I guess they figured why not now to try and make up some of the lost funds and get back at a few ags.

That's what I'm kind of thinking. regardless, I need one of those T-shirts, being a potential Aggie and everything... :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Texas A&M identifies itself as being the "anti-UT." They can't stand the idea that their hated rival in Austin is THE University OF Texas and therefore Ags refer to it as "t.u."

Considering that A&M has generally run behind Texas in everything, including sports, I'd have ignored the saw em off stuff as the fevered wishes of a wannabe.

FsQiF2W.png

Texas A&M identifies itself as being the "anti-UT." They can't stand the idea that their hated rival in Austin is THE University OF Texas and therefore Ags refer to it as "t.u."

Considering that A&M has generally run behind Texas in everything, including sports, I'd have ignored the saw em off stuff as the fevered wishes of a wannabe.

Amen brother.

Ags are known for going overboard on so many levels. UT bleaches a phrase I can't recall (though I'm sure it wasn't nice) on A&M's practice field, the Gigs come to Austin and deface 150 year old buildings on the Texas campus. A&M idiots have kidnapped every mascot in the old SWC, the Baylor bear, the Tech horse, Bevo the longhorn and hell, probably the Rice owl....BUT when their cuddly little corps-dog Reveille (sp?) got kidnapped by UT, A&M called the cops. Way to take your ball home and pout because someone played your silly little game on you.

My best friend and one of my cousins went to Gig 'Em High. I've been to College Station at least thirty times and never has a place needed a 'grow-up' pill more than this place. The weekend 't.u.' plays at A&M is like taking a time machine back to your prom. Every store in town has a shoe polish job on their windows that would make graffitti taggers blush. I've never seen it, but I'm sure they sell big maroon mum corsages with the huge ribbon tails, with A T M in white pipe cleaners embedded in the flower.

The Ag's sued the Seattle Seahawks over the whole '12th Man' stupidity, and I promise you if UT DARED to use 'Ole Sarge' or any other of A&M's 58 official traditional trademarks in a disparaging way it would be lawsuit city within a day.

You reap what you sow, Kool-Aid drinkers.

newsig.jpg

interesting that they are selling t-shirts with this logo to support the legal fund...

sure looks like they've manipulated a registered logo to me...

if the "i'm a gator" guys had to stop selling t-shirts with the word gator in orange on a blue background, i can't understand why these folks would be able to continue selling these shirts...but then, i'm not a lawyer

I'm not a lawyer either, but I think the central question is whether or not somebody might be thinking that they are buying an official product.

Nobody picking one of these up would think that he's supporting Texas. On the contrary, there's a real good chance that a person who buys an orange and blue shirts that says "Gator" thinks his money is going to Florida.

Parody has broad protection, in part because it can't be confused for the real thing. Well, not to anyone paying attention, which probably means that it is often confused for the real thing.... :D

I guess the next move by the teasippers is to sue any Norman shops that use the traditional inverted Longwhorn logo in their designs. Sooners fans invert the logo instead of sawing 'em off Aggie-style.

Of course, this is the same institution that tried to pressure the City of Fort Worth to get rid of Molly. Trying to claim a monopoly on cattle symbolism in Texas is like trying to claim a monopoly on the Lone Star flag. It's too ubiquitous to enforce.

Marc

I guess the next move by the teasippers is to sue any Norman shops that use the traditional inverted Longwhorn logo in their designs. Sooners fans invert the logo instead of sawing 'em off Aggie-style.

I always find it hilarious that Sooner fans buy the Longhorn stickers to turn them upside down on their cars - not even realizing that they're still sending money to the University of Texas regardless of how the Longhorn is used. :D

I always find it hilarious that Sooner fans buy the Longhorn stickers to turn them upside down on their cars - not even realizing that they're still sending money to the University of Texas regardless of how the Longhorn is used. :D

I've never done this myself, but aren't most college licensing fees flat, so the university makes no incremental royalties from the sale of another sticker or shirt?

Marc - allows no cows (or orange) into his universe...

Im a sooner and personally i find it funny when the Texas Tech and Oklahoma State fans hold up their guns. The funny thing is in the deaf community this symbolizes loser! :)!! Coincidence??? I dont think so.

I have a crimson and creme longhorn sticker and a chrome longhorn badge upside down on all of my vehicles and needless to say UT is just upset that no matter what they will still suck!

There is a difference between "parody" and taking somone's actual trademark and reformatting it to degrade the trademark itself. You could take Paul Newman's head from the salad dressing bottle, draw a Hitler moustache on it, put it on a T-shirt and call it "parody." The fact of the matter is, Paul Newman could still sue you for using his trademark in a demeaning fashion and you would lose the case easily. The store took the actual Longhorn mark and used it in a degrading fashion, which is why they are being sued and will most likely lose their case.

this is really stupid, simply because I've seen the same logo, in burnt orange, with the horns chopped off, but used as an Oklahoma shirt.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Yeah, good thing Texas-Austin is so far ahead of A&M in the natural sciences that they're a Land (nope!), Sea (nope!), and Space Grant university!

But hey, .333 is a great average in baseball!

Archived