My Super Bowl Rankings

NJTank

ESPN did there's NFL Network too so I decided to get in on the fun.

Here is Part I of IV.

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/blog.html

Comment to you hearts desire I hope this can be fun for both this board and my blog.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Tank,

I have to stop looking at this tonight, but while some the restatement of the games are opinion, I may be able to help clarify some issues (if NFL Network and their replays haven't done so already):

1-SB XIII: After 20+ years, Jackie Smith is not all to blame. Specifically after the Steelers went up 28-17, the kickoff went to Randy White. Randy had a cast on his arm from a broken hand and tried to advance teh ball. he fumbled, Steelers recover, and score on the next play to make it 35-17. (This is the first Super Bowl I honestly remember. I has my 5th birthday party the Saturday before. I don't remember those presents though. First NFL game I remember was the OAK/BAL "Ghost to the Post" playoff game a year before.).

2-SB XVI: The 49ers stopped the Bengals on downs inside the 49er 3. Cincinnati had Pete Johnson, who was at least 250 lbs. then, and they were stopped by Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds and Fred Dean on the front four. Johnson got the ball 4th down at the 1.

Well others feel like I do its not ESPN's list that ranked them 7th which may have had input from Joe Thiesman who hates the 72 Dolphins because they cut him.

These are my opinions and I make reasoning to each one and I hop that people enjoy it> i think I made a fair well though out list.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

73. 1998 Atlanta Falcons Losers Super Bowl XXXIII-On South Park a frozen man wakes up to find out the Falcons made the Super Bowl and freaks out. Even now 8 years later people are just as puzzled as they never returned, and are long since forgot.

Huh?

This is the precise reason why I can't take your comments seriously.

You disagree see we have opinions and you think that Falcons team that had allot of ordinary players having career years was a good team, I think it was lightning in a bottle and they were not nearly that good. Thats why the year before and the year after they stunk.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I'm not questioning your rankings. I can't change your personal opinion.

However, I'm failing to see what the '97 Falcons and '99 Falcons have to do with the '98 Falcons. Or why South Park was even mentioned.

The only teams the '98 Falcons (which went 14-2) lost to were playoff teams: the 49ers (who went 12-4; the Falcons beat them 2 out of 3 times that season), the Jets (who went like 12-4 and went to the AFC Title Game), and to the Broncos in the Super Bowl. They were a damn good team. Calling them the 8th-worst Super Bowl team is, well, ignorant at best.

Do you have any sense in actual logic?

Had they followed it up with simply a Wild Card berth I would have rated them higher, its the fact they came out of nowhere and returned to nowhere that made them low in my mind.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I'm not questioning your rankings. I can't change your personal opinion.

However, I'm failing to see what the '97 Falcons and '99 Falcons have to do with the '98 Falcons. Or why South Park was even mentioned.

The only teams the '98 Falcons (which went 14-2) lost to were playoff teams: the 49ers (who went 12-4; the Falcons beat them 2 out of 3 times that season), the Jets (who went like 12-4 and went to the AFC Title Game), and to the Broncos in the Super Bowl. They were a damn good team. Calling them the 8th-worst Super Bowl team is, well, ignorant at best.

Do you have any sense in actual logic?

You didn't mention that they got to the Super Bowl by winning on the road against a 15-1 Vikings team. They were much better than the '82 Dolphins at least. I would take Chandler over David Woodley and their AFC Championship win was a career game from AJ Duhe, who had 3 picks that day.

I will give you credit in the #41 as the Bills were argubably the best team to lose. thurman Thomas would have been the game's MVP if they won, so why not if they lost? He played his ass off.

Again, what do the '97 and '99 Falcons have to do with determining strength ratings for the '98 team, when the '98 Falcons team is being ranked amongst the other Super Bowl losers?

If the '72 Dolphins won every game 42-0 and went undefeated, then the next season finished with a losing record, would that '73 Dolphins team take "strength points" away from the '72 Dolphins? Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Also, Jamal Anderson got hurt the following year for the Falcons and was never the same running back after that. They relied heavily on him considering he set the NFL Single Season Record for carries that season. Generally, when you lose an 1,800+ yard RB, you're going to have trouble making up those yards. Look at who got the bulk of the carries the following year... Byron Hanspard (136 for 383 yards) and Ken Oxendine (141 for 452 yards).

That Falcons team was a very good football team. They just ran into a Broncos team that's among the best ever.

IUe6Hvh.png

Again, what do the '97 and '99 Falcons have to do with determining strength ratings for the '98 team, when the '98 Falcons team is being ranked amongst the other Super Bowl losers?

If the '72 Dolphins won every game 42-0 and went undefeated, then the next season finished with a losing record, would that '73 Dolphins team take "strength points" away from the '72 Dolphins? Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Interesting Question, I think the fact that the Dolphins won again in 73 strengthens their claim as a legendary team. Maybe I was a little low with the Falcons they could slot in the 60s but its not easy ranking teams 1-80.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Tank, please. I know I'm going to sound like a homer, "Wah my team isn't #1!!!111" but jeez, the Falcons were better than that.

You say you hate ESPN but then you rank teams just like them. "Well, they just got lucky is all..."

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Well I hate to make excuses but Mike and the Mad Dog were ripping the Falcons when they were talking about the last SB in Miami and I guess that got in grained in my head. I do admit perhaps I should have them slightly higher.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Tank,

I have to stop looking at this tonight, but while some the restatement of the games are opinion, I may be able to help clarify some issues (if NFL Network and their replays haven't done so already):

1-SB XIII: After 20+ years, Jackie Smith is not all to blame. Specifically after the Steelers went up 28-17, the kickoff went to Randy White. Randy had a cast on his arm from a broken hand and tried to advance teh ball. he fumbled, Steelers recover, and score on the next play to make it 35-17. (This is the first Super Bowl I honestly remember. I has my 5th birthday party the Saturday before. I don't remember those presents though. First NFL game I remember was the OAK/BAL "Ghost to the Post" playoff game a year before.).

2-SB XVI: The 49ers stopped the Bengals on downs inside the 49er 3. Cincinnati had Pete Johnson, who was at least 250 lbs. then, and they were stopped by Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds and Fred Dean on the front four. Johnson got the ball 4th down at the 1.

I completely agree with you about Jackie Smith, however, he gets the blame because if he made that catch, the Cowboys have 4 more points and that was the margin in the game.

Tank,

I completely agree with you about Jackie Smith, however, he gets the blame because if he made that catch, the Cowboys have 4 more points and that was the margin in the game.

It's always the obvious play that gets the blame but it's never just one play that loses a game.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I don't think the 1972 Dolphins are the best team ever. They had the easiest schedule ever and just barely won half their games. Hell, they couldn't even run up the score in the Super Bowl.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived