Utah Jazz nickname

jhans203

The owners of the Spirits of St. Louis took an annual payment of a percentage of the NBA's revenues in perpetuity instead of a lump-sum payout like Brown. In 1976 that seemed to be a pretty risky thing - a lot of NBA teams were on very shakey financial ground. However, that deal looks pretty good now.

The Spirits owners get 1/7th of a share of the TV revenue from each of the four ABA teams that merged in. That makes 4/7th's total, about 57% of a full share. My math based on the current national contracts gives them about $15.2M annually.

Marc

I could be wrong, but rumor has it when the Jazz left New Orleans, the ownership had a warehouse full of merchandise, so, instead of changing the name and colors, he kept the Jazz, thus not taking a loss on his merchandise inventory...

I don't know whether that's the case or not, but the New Orleans Jazz logo as it was then argues against it since it incorporated the words "New Orleans":

5776.gif

One side note - I had occasion to visit the Jazz offices in the 'dome once. It was after they left but the purple carpet was still there and that logo was in the carpet itself. It was about 3 feet across, just inside the door. So people walked all over them on and off the court. :blink:

I'm not a basketball fan at all, but it was cool to go to the games, especially seeing Pete Maravich play. When he'd score, the announcer would go "Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssstollll PETE!" (That first word is a long drawn-out "Pistol" in case it's hard to decipher.)

Looking at his jersey, it just says "Jazz" so maybe they did have a load of stuff they could sell.

maravich_350.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Kentucky had a good team too with Issel / Gilmore, didn't they? Or were they gone by the time of the merger?

Looks like Issel was gone to Denver by '75, but Gilmore would have gone to the NBA with them persumably, unless sold a la Dr J

The team sold Issel to the Baltimore team to help fund the 1975/76 season. If they had been able to keep him (keeping the 1975 Championship team intact) they might have had a chance to repeat.

The Baltimore team folded pretty quickly (maybe during pre-season; they couldn't have played more than a couple of regular season games) and Issel wound up with Denver for the remainer of his career.

The Utah "Jazz"?

It's all Sam Battistone's fault.

Bring back the Salt Palace!

Who needs the Salt Palace when you've got the Energy Waste Solutions Dump?!

Seriously, I miss the old Salt Palace. I remember seeing that '88 playoff series against the Lakers on CBS and that place was ROCKIN'.

The owners of the Spirits of St. Louis took an annual payment of a percentage of the NBA's revenues in perpetuity instead of a lump-sum payout like Brown. In 1976 that seemed to be a pretty risky thing - a lot of NBA teams were on very shakey financial ground. However, that deal looks pretty good now.

The Spirits owners get 1/7th of a share of the TV revenue from each of the four ABA teams that merged in. That makes 4/7th's total, about 57% of a full share. My math based on the current national contracts gives them about $15.2M annually.

Marc

And that is why St. Louis will not get an NBA team.

Kentucky had a good team too with Issel / Gilmore, didn't they? Or were they gone by the time of the merger?

Looks like Issel was gone to Denver by '75, but Gilmore would have gone to the NBA with them persumably, unless sold a la Dr J

The team sold Issel to the Baltimore team to help fund the 1975/76 season. If they had been able to keep him (keeping the 1975 Championship team intact) they might have had a chance to repeat.

The Baltimore team folded pretty quickly (maybe during pre-season; they couldn't have played more than a couple of regular season games) and Issel wound up with Denver for the remainer of his career.

According to remembertheaba.com, the Baltimore Claws nee Hustlers met a disastrous end for a relatively derelict franchise to begin with (the old Memphis team). Went through 3 under-capitalized ownership groups, had a name change because "Hustlers" sent a poor message, and played 3 preseason games before going belly up.

Joe Newman (of the present ABA) would have been proud of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Only three preseason games.One in Ocean City,one in Cherry Hill,and one in Norfolk.And they lost every one of them.The Baltimore Claws were named the Baltimore Hustlers(no,not after the magazine).But they changed the name to Claws soon after that.

Only three preseason games.One in Ocean City,one in Cherry Hill,and one in Norfolk.And they lost every one of them.The Baltimore Claws were named the Baltimore Hustlers(no,not after the magazine).But they changed the name to Claws soon after that.

Thanks. I remembered something about them playing 3 games but I just couldn't remember it was 3 preseason games or 3 regular season games. Like many people my age who grew up here in Louisville with the Colonels I tend to block out the details of the team getting rid of Issel :cry: , and it's been a long time since I read Terry Pluto's book on the ABA "Loose Balls".

the jazz and the hornets need to swap nicknames since utah is the "beehive state" and jazz belongs in new orleans

You're not funny. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would just like to point out that we New Orleanians have been arguing for the Jazz moniker since the team left... not just after they became successful. And, had the Jazz been losers all these years, we still would want the name and colors back (afterall, we are a glutten for punishment).

And, on a side note, let Oklahoma keep the Hornets. We have the Saints.. what more could we need?

• LMU locked this topic

Archived