Utah Jazz nickname

jhans203

I work in my University's Special Collections Dept. and I do alot of research with microfilm looking up old articles in newspapers. It's not that exciting. So occassionally I will pull some microfilm of the Deseret News and will look up articles about the Jazz especially during the time that they moved to SLC, drafted Stockton and Malone, and playoff runs.

Well...this morning I came across an article mentioning a possible name for the Jazz when they first moved here in 1979. The Salt Lake Scouts? I was just curious if anyone else has heard this? I would post the article, but its not on the DesNews archives online.

Interestingly, an article also mentioned an Expansion Committee looking at NBA expansion in 1980 for Dallas and Minneapolis. I thought it was interesting...I wonder what happened to the Minneapolis group?

If anyone has anything else to add, please! Just don't bring up the "I think Utah should trade nicknames with New Orleans" argument. I think we get it! Are there any other possible names for other franchises that aren't generally discussed?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I work in my University's Special Collections Dept. and I do alot of research with microfilm looking up old articles in newspapers. It's not that exciting. So occassionally I will pull some microfilm of the Deseret News and will look up articles about the Jazz especially during the time that they moved to SLC, drafted Stockton and Malone, and playoff runs.

Well...this morning I came across an article mentioning a possible name for the Jazz when they first moved here in 1979. The Salt Lake Scouts? I was just curious if anyone else has heard this? I would post the article, but its not on the DesNews archives online.

Interestingly, an article also mentioned an Expansion Committee looking at NBA expansion in 1980 for Dallas and Minneapolis. I thought it was interesting...I wonder what happened to the Minneapolis group?

If anyone has anything else to add, please! Just don't bring up the "I think Utah should trade nicknames with New Orleans" argument. I think we get it! Are there any other possible names for other franchises that aren't generally discussed?

I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of the Timberwolves. See, they're this team up in the Minneapolis area...

As for the Jazz, just keep the name. It doesn't make sense, just like the LA Lakers and Calgary Flames. But we all know it and love it. I don't think any other team should change their nickname either (even the Devil Rays... it's The NAME OF THE FISH... God people are too uptight). So, that's my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of the Timberwolves. See, they're this team up in the Minneapolis area...

As for the Jazz, just keep the name. It doesn't make sense, just like the LA Lakers and Calgary Flames. But we all know it and love it. I don't think any other team should change their nickname either (even the Devil Rays... it's The NAME OF THE FISH... God people are too uptight). So, that's my 2 cents.

Well...I understand who the T'Wolves are, I guess I just wasn't clear in my statement. I meant that Minneapolis was looked at for expansion in 1979 as a possible franchise with Dallas.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Well, I certainly got that you meant "what happened to the Minneapolis group in 1980?" Obviously, the T'Wolves came about much later ('89 if I remember correctly). BBM was trying to be cute, but it didn't work out.

I could be wrong, but rumor has it when the Jazz left New Orleans, the ownership had a warehouse full of merchandise, so, instead of changing the name and colors, he kept the Jazz, thus not taking a loss on his merchandise inventory...

I could be wrong, but rumor has it when the Jazz left New Orleans, the ownership had a warehouse full of merchandise, so, instead of changing the name and colors, he kept the Jazz, thus not taking a loss on his merchandise inventory...

You gotta love the late 70's NBA.

You gotta love the late 70's NBA.

It's true...I believe that was the case. I belief that there might have been a contest for the name. I am curious how serious the name Scouts were?

Also...if the ABA last one more year the Spirits of St. Louis were ready to move to Salt Lake as the Utah Rockies. I find that pretty interesting.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the late George Mikan was part of that Minnesota expansion group. I'd tend to believe a majority of those same people who tried in '80 were also at least in some capacity part of the group that later landed the Timberwolves.

I remember too reading about the name Salt Lake Scouts and a few other names were bounced around (don't ask me which ones, my memory doesn't span that far back LOL) but ultimately left as is.

I dont know about the ABA connection since Kentucky and San Diego both got run out of the NBA discussions.

But the Jazz were looking into moving to Vegas back then as well and played a few regular season games at the T&M as the Utah Jazz and they also played somewhere else at that time but I cant remember where....(OKC?)

I dont know about the ABA connection since Kentucky and San Diego both got run out of the NBA discussions.

But the Jazz were looking into moving to Vegas back then as well and played a few regular season games at the T&M as the Utah Jazz and they also played somewhere else at that time but I cant remember where....(OKC?)

Yeah, that's true. I have a few photos of Utah Jazz regular season games at the Thomas & Mack. Not sure how frequently they were there, but it was at least 5 or 10 games a season, up until 1984 I think.

They played 11 games in 1983-84 and about 3 or 4 in 1984-85. They had schedule another 11, but decided to pull out of LV. I believe Checketts had something to do with and/or the NBA. I think the NBA didn't want a team playing games outside its home state? Could be wrong.

Checking in my Jazz Media Guide. While in SLC the only nuetral spots the Jazz have played outside the Delta Center and Salt Palace is LV and the Hunstman Center. During Preseason though they played tons of games in Ogden, Provo, Cedar City, Boise, New Mexico, Vegas and such.

The Jazz did play regionally alot while in New Orleans though Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Jackson, MS, Lake Charles. It wasn't all the time and mostly before the Jazz moved to the SuperDome.

I also remember vaguely that there was talk of the Jazz merging with Denver in the mid-80s (around the LV experiment). They would have stayed in Denver.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I wish you guys would take the Hornets and let us have our Jazz back, then I owuld care about them

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

As for the Jazz, just keep the name. It doesn't make sense, just like the LA Lakers and Calgary Flames.

Actually, Calgary Flames makes a lot of sense, considering it is an Olympics city (1988 Winter Games) and because of the petroleum in Alberta. Sure, it doesn't have the same ring as Atlanta Flames, but it's a nickname that did just fine with the move.

I wish you guys would take the Hornets and let us have our Jazz back, then I owuld care about them

I like "let us have our Jazz back," as if you're somehow entitled to them, and Salt Lake City just sort of borrowed them. All of their best seasons, best players and best coach belong to Salt Lake City's team. Sorry, but that's how it worked out.

"Now that the Jazz are moderately successful, and we have a team mired in mediocrity since Grandmama pulled up lame, and doesn't even play in our town right now, and uses teal, I want our old team back. Does Stockton still wear those cute little short-shorts?"

Welcome to DrunjFlix

"Now that the Jazz are moderately successful, and we have a team mired in mediocrity since Grandmama pulled up lame, and doesn't even play in our town right now, and uses teal, I want our old team back. Does Stockton still wear those cute little short-shorts?"

Yeah really, sounds like Baltimore football fans.

Also, many cities try for multiple bids at teams before landing one. I don't see why that Minneapolis group would be any different.

San Diego was long gone as an ABA team by then; Kentucky and St. Louis were the only ABA teams that played (or maybe survived?) the entire last season who didn't move to the NBA.

I know that John Y. Brown made the decision not to pay the NBA entry fees and folded the Colonels. Of course, he had put the team in the name of his first wife, but he controlled the finances. He split with wife #1 shortly after the ABA folded, prior to marrying wife #2, Phyllis George. That could have had something to do with it. Brown took a cash buyout for folding the team and later used that to buy into the Buffalo Braves. He then traded his stake in the Braves to one of the owners of the Celtics. The owner he traded with consolidated his position with the Braves and moved them to San Diego as the Clippers. I believe Brown retained his stake in the Celtics until he started his run for Governor of KY.

The owners of the Spirits of St. Louis took an annual payment of a percentage of the NBA's revenues in perpetuity instead of a lump-sum payout like Brown. In 1976 that seemed to be a pretty risky thing - a lot of NBA teams were on very shakey financial ground. However, that deal looks pretty good now.

The owners of the Spirits of St. Louis took an annual payment of a percentage of the NBA's revenues in perpetuity instead of a lump-sum payout like Brown. In 1976 that seemed to be a pretty risky thing - a lot of NBA teams were on very shakey financial ground. However, that deal looks pretty good now.

There was a recent article on how those Spirits owners (and their heirs) made out like bandits with that deal. Let's just say they are livin' lavish thanks to that annual percentage of NBA revenue IN PERPETUITY. Risky at the time, absolute genius in hindsight.

Archived