U.S. Soccer

kewp80

And I would like to dedicate my 500th post to: my USA Soccer concept! :D

Anyway, I got the inspiration from speedy when he used the old eagle in his excellent U.S. Hockey concept. Thus I decided to use the eagle as well, don't worry speedy I didn't rip anything off, in fact I didn't use the eagle you made, i decided to go all out and vector my own.

I got the crest inspiration from Arsenal's crest, and decided to use the USA font (or something close to it) from the 1980 miracle on ice team. I also put the stars and stripes shield in front of the eagle because it was the original crest back in the day, and I believe it was on many of the Olympic athletes as well. I also wanted to convey how long U.S. Soccer has been around with the old time soccer ball. They actually reached the semi-finals of the first World Cup in 1930, went in 1934 and 1950, and haven't missed the World Cup since 1990.

I didn't mess too much with the primary shirt, cause I personally really like it. I just added a little white line in between the red and blue stripes, and changed the number font (I hate the current font). As for the clash shirt I decided to keep the same type of stripe that is on the current one, but put it where the stripe is for the primary shirt. Now there isn't an interrupted stripe across the middle. I made the socks match the stripes on the shirts, and the pants and socks are interchangeable. Anyway here is U.S. Soccer:

US_Logo.png

US_Soccer.png

C&C Please! :P

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You misspelled a word in the thread title. A cookie to the person who finds it.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Anyway, I got the inspiration from speedy when he used the old eagle in his excellent U.S. Hockey concept. Thus I decided to use the eagle as well, don't worry speedy I didn't rip anything off, in fact I didn't use the eagle you made, i decided to go all out and vector my own.

Thank you for the praise, but I just want to set the record straight. I myself didn't create that eagle logo, it was originaly used by the Men's National Hockey Team in the 60's and 70's.. can be seen here.

You misspelled a word in the thread title. A cookie to the person who finds it.

shouldn't soccer be spelled f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l?

just kidding, i really couldn't care either way.

Ya, I agree... needs stri... oh. :hockeysmiley:

I like this one, kewp. Very classy and well executed, and I think it's a step up from what they're wearing now. The kits themselves are similar, but there's some nice changes here.

Good on ya!

philly.png

Solid stuff all the way around. My only gripe is with the lettering in the crest. Radially arcing the letters creates a lot of awkward negative space, and contrasts jarringly with the smooth curves on the sides of the crest. Try the "USA" either straight across horizontally or vertically arched - the way the Red Wings and Rangers have their player names embroidered on their sweaters.

Beyond that, and a slightly thicker number font, this looks better than the pinstriped crap they're playing in these days. Good job!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Thank you for the praise, but I just want to set the record straight. I myself didn't create that eagle logo, it was originaly used by the Men's National Hockey Team in the 60's and 70's.. can be seen here.

Yes, I know, I was just saying I didn't go the easy way out and just take yours, I went ahead and took the time to vector my own.

Anyway thanks for all the compliments, and I'll go ahead and work with the USA part and find a better font for the numbers. I want something similar to what it is now, which is Roadway, but thicker. Any ideas?

Check out my music!

This concept is really exquisite. I can definitely see a European influenced thing, but it also has some uniqueness. The only complaint I have is that I think the outside logo on the crest should be some sort os silver instead of gold.

the ball at the bottom of the logo looks more like a volleyball than a soccer ball to me

That's what soccer balls looked like back in the day, look at many of the soccer logos on the website, they have the old time soccer balls on them.

Check out my music!

I don't see any "Don't Tread On Me" style. Here's the current crest:

USA_6322.gif

As compared to the "Don't Tread On Me" Flag:

gadsdenflag.png

I believe you are thinking about the U.S. Soccer promotion last year for the World Cup. They played heavily on the "Don't Tread On Me" thing.

Check out my music!

Both are improvements IMO, and either one would work. I would clean up the kerning, especially between the "S" and the "A". And on the first shield, the letters aren't centered - the middle of the "S" should be beneath the middle of the shield.

As far as the number font - is there a Roadway Bold? Blue Highway is another that's very close (think of current American highway signs, slowly being phased out in favor of Clearview), and some of the font packages come with a bold format.

Now that the EPL ditched the skewed Opulent, you could always go in that direction, and subtly tweak the English... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived