R.I.P. KMPC 1540

ANGEL

KMPC the station that brought the Rams, Angels, Kings over the year had dropped it all sports format in favor of Korea Talk.

:cry:

I liked this station because ever since XTRA move to am 570 it became nothing but Lakers talk 24-7 and I think everyone in LA agreed with me and I dont get ESPN RADIO in my house and KMPC talk about all the sport and they were no annoucement that they were going to switch.

This probably going to the graveyard with the station but anyone who lived in LA I want to know what you guy thought of that and also I want to know if you had one of your favorite station switch format and I mean all format not just sports.

Thank friends. :grin:

IN MEMORY OF KMPC 1540 AM :cry:

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

Posts with a million smiley faces grind my gears.

Sorry D,

I'd just want my topic to look good but I think that I overdid it.

sorry :D

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

In radio it's all about the money. Their format wasn't making any money so they changed it. Get XM they have a pretty good talk lineup. Don't bother with ESPN Radio. It's all Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers all the time.

BB52Big.jpg

The one thing I'll miss is that KMPC has a great signal outside of the LA area. Last time I was in LA and drove back to Sac, I was able to hear KMPC at least to north of Bakersfield. The station the Dodgers are on fizzles out before you get out of the grapevine.

Also makes one wonder what the future is of local sports talk stations in major markets. I'm curious to see what will happen to WFAN in New York now that their biggest ad biller Imus is gone.

Also makes one wonder what the future is of local sports talk stations in major markets. I'm curious to see what will happen to WFAN in New York now that their biggest ad biller Imus is gone.

Well, maybe WFAN can finally bill itself as an ALL-sports radio station? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

So a freakin all-Korean radio station can make more advertising $$$ than an all-sports station in Los Angeles?

Mindboggling.

We'll see. If it's the only Korean station in the market and there is an audience for it then it should do very well financially. Every Korean owned business in town may jump at the chance to advertise on that station. There are no guarantees that it will work but apparently someone saw a hole in the market and is taking a shot at filling it.

WFAN is one of the top billing stations in the country. They aren't going anywhere. They make their money on their live sports. Losing Imus won't hurt that.

Sports stations with the local broadcast rights are good money makers. Every large market can support one or two depending on the broadcast contracts. The ones that fail are usually "bottom feeders" that broadcast nothing but syndicated talk and don't carry live sports. Oversaturation of a format will always lead to a few stations falling by the wayside.

BB52Big.jpg

So a freakin all-Korean radio station can make more advertising $$$ than an all-sports station in Los Angeles?

Mindboggling.

We'll see. If it's the only Korean station in the market and there is an audience for it then it should do very well financially. Every Korean owned business in town may jump at the chance to advertise on that station. There are no guarantees that it will work but apparently someone saw a hole in the market and is taking a shot at filling it.

WFAN is one of the top billing stations in the country. They aren't going anywhere. They make their money on their live sports. Losing Imus won't hurt that.

Sports stations with the local broadcast rights are good money makers. Every large market can support one or two depending on the broadcast contracts. The ones that fail are usually "bottom feeders" that broadcast nothing but syndicated talk and don't carry live sports. Oversaturation of a format will always lead to a few stations falling by the wayside.

The company that bought KMPC does indeed own another outlet in the Los Angeles market. This version of KMPC, at 1540 AM (the original KMPC was at 710 AM, now ESPN Radio's KSPN), was the flagship of the Sporting News Radio network, and now former outlet for the USC Trojans and San Diego Chargers. In fact, in the last year, after Paul Allen (yes, THAT Paul Allen) sold off the Sporting News empire, the radio network relocated from the Chicago area to Los Angeles. The radio network itself, of course, is still around, without a full time presence in a major market (esepcially one of Los Angeles' size), who knows how long they'll be around. I personally prefer SNR over ESPN Radio, and I rarely listen to Fox Sports Radio (which is only on overnights and weekends on the Laker Propaganda station--KLAC 570).

It was a long run for 1540 as a sports station, lasting about nine years here. Its problems had to do with its dial position (while its two biggest competitors are at very desirable spots on the radio dial), and mostly due to its signal. In Los Angeles proper, 1540 has a good signal, but mostly anywhere south and east of the city, it was either interference issues (a Mexican station would sometimes come in over the KMPC signal) or the signal simply just faded out.

I'm gonna miss listening to 1540 on the way to work, I would listen to Tony Bruno coming in. The competition is pretty worse...Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio or a pretty bad local show on KLAC, and I refuse to listen to FM radio morning shows...it's all the same crap.

Mindboggling.

WFAN is one of the top billing stations in the country because of Imus. Pre-Imus WFAN was wasn't billing anywhere what they did when he showed up and they had the Mets, Knicks and Rangers. We'll see how that plays out over time as to whether losing Imus hurts that but I believe it will.

WFAN is one of the top billing stations in the country because of Imus. Pre-Imus WFAN was wasn't billing anywhere what they did when he showed up and they had the Mets, Knicks and Rangers. We'll see how that plays out over time as to whether losing Imus hurts that but I believe it will.

Sorry but I can't accept your premise.

Imus alone is not what made WFAN one of the nation's top billers. He was a big name to put in an important time slot but he was hardly the flagship for WFAN. He was getting slaughtered by Stern and other morning shows in the "money" demo 25-54. I can't remember the exact numbers but when Stern was still on K-Rock they talked about Imus being somewhere well below the top 10 in 25-54. You don't put up WFAN billing numbers off a morning show alone, especially if you're hanging your hat on a mid-level morning show like Imus.

WFAN gets huge dollars from the live sports. If you have the rights to your market's team you're going to put up good billing numbers. Whether or not those numbers translate into profit is another story. I'm not saying that Imus didn't do OK but you're kidding yourself if you think his firing will result in a format change at WFAN. If Imus and that type of programming were where the money is at then WFAN would have dropped the sports long ago and gone all talk. If anything having the Rangers, Knicks, and Mets helped Imus more than Imus helped the game broadcasts. Different audiences. If WFAN had to bill off Imus' numbers alone they would have gone belly up a long time ago. Sports listeners aren't necessarily Imus listeners. WFAN hangs it's hat on their sports. They don't call it WFAN because Imus was their morning guy.

Something tells me that Mike and The Mad Dog may have had something to do with WFAN's success as well.

BB52Big.jpg

In radio it's all about the money. Their format wasn't making any money so they changed it. Get XM they have a pretty good talk lineup. Don't bother with ESPN Radio. It's all Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers all the time.

I'm planning to get one after Thanksgiving infared.

I want for the MLB, FOX SPORTS, and Sporting News radio.

Assuming that I'm still working of course. :flagcanada:

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

Mindboggling.

Not at all. Radio is about 'niche' programming - find a segment of the community that isn't being served, represent them on-air, charge advertisers out the ass for spots, and BOOM! More money.

nav-logo.png

Mindboggling.

The company that bought KMPC does indeed own another outlet in the Los Angeles market. This version of KMPC, at 1540 AM (the original KMPC was at 710 AM, now ESPN Radio's KSPN), was the flagship of the Sporting News Radio network, and now former outlet for the USC Trojans and San Diego Chargers. In fact, in the last year, after Paul Allen (yes, THAT Paul Allen) sold off the Sporting News empire, the radio network relocated from the Chicago area to Los Angeles. The radio network itself, of course, is still around, without a full time presence in a major market (esepcially one of Los Angeles' size), who knows how long they'll be around. I personally prefer SNR over ESPN Radio, and I rarely listen to Fox Sports Radio (which is only on overnights and weekends on the Laker Propaganda station--KLAC 570).

It was a long run for 1540 as a sports station, lasting about nine years here. Its problems had to do with its dial position (while its two biggest competitors are at very desirable spots on the radio dial), and mostly due to its signal. In Los Angeles proper, 1540 has a good signal, but mostly anywhere south and east of the city, it was either interference issues (a Mexican station would sometimes come in over the KMPC signal) or the signal simply just faded out.

I'm gonna miss listening to 1540 on the way to work, I would listen to Tony Bruno coming in. The competition is pretty worse...Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio or a pretty bad local show on KLAC, and I refuse to listen to FM radio morning shows...it's all the same crap.

Me too, i'll miss listening to Dave Smith, David Stein, Chris Russell, and my favorite Todd Wright especially his segmet like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, 15 MINUTE & WINNERS & LOSERS.

As for KLAC, I kind of like Roggins & Simers2 and beside Tracy Siemers look like my Sister. I used to listen to Lee Hamilton & Lee Kline but Hacksaw was replaced by Money Smith & that hyena that host pros vs. joes and I dont know what happen to Lee Kline I dont know if he's still on the air on a diffrent time or it at another network. It's sad because I used to listen AM690 for year whether I lived in San Diego or in LA.

BTW Madman,

Do you know what ever happen to Lee Kline?

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

Mindboggling.

Me too, i'll miss listening to Dave Smith, David Stein, Chris Russell, and my favorite Todd Wright especially his segmet like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, 15 MINUTE & WINNERS & LOSERS.

As for KLAC, I kind of like Roggins & Simers2 and beside Tracy Siemers look like my Sister. I used to listen to Lee Hamilton & Lee Kline but Hacksaw was replaced by Money Smith & that hyena that host pros vs. joes and I dont know what happen to Lee Kline I dont know if he's still on the air on a diffrent time or it at another network. It's sad because I used to listen AM690 for year whether I lived in San Diego or in LA.

BTW Madman,

Klein is still with KLAC, but just as a fill-in role, when they moved Joe McDonnell from weekends to weeknights after the Phil Hendrie show went off the air for good last year. In fact, Lee filled-in for Big Joe a couple weeks ago.

You could still to listen to Sporting News Radio on internet, Angel. I can still catch Bruno just as I get in to work, and Dave Smith right afterwards. Dave can get a bit annoying at times, but I've listen to him for years and he's a bit of an acquired taste, as with many of our favorite shows. Jim Rome used to be one of my favorite shows to listen to, but he's been doing the same shtick for 15 years, and has rarely changed over the years. Plus, the more I listen, the more I totally think his radio show is scripted (I know his TV show is)...in fact, that should be another topic in itself. In recent years, I've kinda curtailed my sports radio listening over the years...I would have the tendency to listen almost all hours of the day. But now, it's just simply mornings and afternoons, especially if I'm out and about or at work.

Mindboggling.

BTW Madman,

Klein is still with KLAC, but just as a fill-in role, when they moved Joe McDonnell from weekends to weeknights after the Phil Hendrie show went off the air for good last year. In fact, Lee filled-in for Big Joe a couple weeks ago.

You could still to listen to Sporting News Radio on internet, Angel. I can still catch Bruno just as I get in to work, and Dave Smith right afterwards. Dave can get a bit annoying at times, but I've listen to him for years and he's a bit of an acquired taste, as with many of our favorite shows. Jim Rome used to be one of my favorite shows to listen to, but he's been doing the same shtick for 15 years, and has rarely changed over the years. Plus, the more I listen, the more I totally think his radio show is scripted (I know his TV show is)...in fact, that should be another topic in itself. In recent years, I've kinda curtailed my sports radio listening over the years...I would have the tendency to listen almost all hours of the day. But now, it's just simply mornings and afternoons, especially if I'm out and about or at work.

I know that Madman but the problem is that my family only have 1 computer and my sister used it at night and by the time I get home I dont have time. I think i'll just wait till Ibuy XM on the day after Thanksgiving.

So in the meantime, I think i'll buy a walkman so I could listen the Joe McDonnell show and ESPN 710 and XX 1090AM IN San Diego.

Thanks for being a friends Madman.

I though thAT I was the only one who likes SNR.

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

Jim Rome used to be one of my favorite shows to listen to, but he's been doing the same shtick for 15 years, and has rarely changed over the years. Plus, the more I listen, the more I totally think his radio show is scripted (I know his TV show is)...in fact, that should be another topic in itself.

Let me start by saying I'm a fan of Rome's but his radio show is completely scripted and written either by him or for him. Think about it, how many times in "normal conversation" do you mispronounce a word like you were reading it wrong? How many times do you stumble over a phrase as if you were reading it too fast? Rome does it all the time in his "impromptu takes" which he reads the same way he reads his emails. Just listen closely and you'll hear him stumble all over the place because 80% of the time he's reading. Don't get me wrong, the guy has some real talent but let's not kid ourselves, none of it is as spontaneous as he would like us to believe. That said, it's not an uncommon practice in radio to write out what you're going to say. DJs do it all the time. It's just unusual for a talk show host to do it. All I know is it has to be a ton of work to write out three hours of "takes."

BB52Big.jpg

Jim Rome used to be one of my favorite shows to listen to, but he's been doing the same shtick for 15 years, and has rarely changed over the years. Plus, the more I listen, the more I totally think his radio show is scripted (I know his TV show is)...in fact, that should be another topic in itself.

Let me start by saying I'm a fan of Rome's but his radio show is completely scripted and written either by him or for him. Think about it, how many times in "normal conversation" do you mispronounce a word like you were reading it wrong? How many times do you stumble over a phrase as if you were reading it too fast? Rome does it all the time in his "impromptu takes" which he reads the same way he reads his emails. Just listen closely and you'll hear him stumble all over the place because 80% of the time he's reading. Don't get me wrong, the guy has some real talent but let's not kid ourselves, none of it is as spontaneous as he would like us to believe. That said, it's not an uncommon practice in radio to write out what you're going to say. DJs do it all the time. It's just unusual for a talk show host to do it. All I know is it has to be a ton of work to write out three hours of "takes."

Trust me, I've noticed each and every time I've listened to his show. In fact, one of the local sports talk hosts has brought this to light (and mentions in the intro of his current national radio show), and that's when I started to listen a lot of closely. Before then, I was a bit curious, but moreso now I'm convinced. Well, good for Rome, I guess...he's a name for himself in the sports media business (the Jim Everett incident notwitstanding) and still gets ratings. However, scripted sports radio is not really my cup of tea. I even tried to get through last Friday's annual Smackoff show...I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes. Rome's "smack" act is tired and little Jimmy needs to grow up.

As for you, Angel...no problem at all, glad to help a bit. ^_^

Archived