Oh No!

random_ax

NFL players have a tradition of exchanging helmets at the Pro Bowl as souvenirs. The helmet that no one wants to trade for every year is the Browns...most NFL players think it's too bland. And no, it's not because few Browns ever make the Pro Bowl! :D

For a franchise "steeped in tradition", why is it that the Browns can't go 3 full years without making some goofy change to their uniforms? When they came back in 1999 we got the 'traditional' unis through 2001. Then in 02 they added the orange alt...in 03 they added TWO sets of white pants, plus orange pants...in 06 they went back to 'throwback' facemasks, etc.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL players have a tradition of exchanging helmets at the Pro Bowl as souvenirs. The helmet that no one wants to trade for every year is the Browns...most NFL players think it's too bland. And no, it's not because few Browns ever make the Pro Bowl! :D

Could you supply a source on that one? Players don't own their helmets, and thus wouldn't be allowed to trade them off. This ain't futbol where they can just exchange jerseys.

It's where I sit.

Could you supply a source on that one? Players don't own their helmets, and thus wouldn't be allowed to trade them off. This ain't futbol where they can just exchange jerseys.

I wish I could...but I do remember reading that in a sports newspaper or mag back in the 90s. It's possible the NFL doesn't allow it any more, but this was a few years back.

They absolutely do own their helmets. This isn't Pop Warner or high school football.

I wish I could...but I do remember reading that in a sports newspaper or mag back in the 90s. It's possible the NFL doesn't allow it any more, but this was a few years back.

But can you support the rather... interesting claim that NFL players think the Browns helmet is "too bland" and don't like it?

But can you support the rather... interesting claim that NFL players think the Browns helmet is "too bland" and don't like it?

I truly wish I could find that article!! I'm not making this up, and have no vendetta against the Browns. I truly understand the tradition behind their uniform, although I wish they would bring back the orange pants. I just remember some Browns player griping that no one wanted to trade for his helmet, but that everyone wanted to get a Raiders helmet.

seriously, who was the last brown to make the probowl?

seems like every season, titans fans have to take solice in the fact that at least the browns are in the same boat as us, with no pro bowlers.

(unless you count vince backdooring it last year)

seriously, who was the last brown to make the probowl?

seems like every season, titans fans have to take solice in the fact that at least the browns are in the same boat as us, with no pro bowlers.

(unless you count vince backdooring it last year)

The Browns' only Pro Bowl selection since its return to the NFL in 1999 was linebacker Jamir Miller in 2002.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

They absolutely do own their helmets. This isn't Pop Warner or high school football.

What? Players are outfitted by the team -- they don't buy their own equipment.

It's where I sit.

True, but certainly the players get to keep their uniforms to do with as they please.

The Giants may pay for the jerseys Barry Bonds wears, but they don't own them. That's why the Hall of Fame's collection has a couple of huge holes in it - Barry saves his own stuff to sell.

Who said anything about buying their own equipment? They own their own equipment. If somebody gives you something without wanting it back, do you not own it?

True, but certainly the players get to keep their uniforms to do with as they please.

The Giants may pay for the jerseys Barry Bonds wears, but they don't own them. That's why the Hall of Fame's collection has a couple of huge holes in it - Barry saves his own stuff to sell.

A - Jerseys don't equal helmets.

B - Do you think the HOF WANTS Barry's stuff :P

Who said anything about buying their own equipment? They own their own equipment. If somebody gives you something without wanting it back, do you not own it?

I disagree with your assessment that they're given it without needing to return it. I guess we'll have to see if anyone knows.

It's where I sit.

A - Jerseys don't equal helmets.

B - Do you think the HOF WANTS Barry's stuff :P

Yes, they do, actually. I don't particularly want to see him in the Hall, but they have asked for memorabilia from his HR season record and other things, and he has turned them down.

I think baseball teams retain ownership of the uniforms, presuming that they would give them to the players if asked. MLB.com auctions off an awful lot of game-worn stuff.

Archived